Tough cultural game

Buccaneer

Deity
I just finished a long game (25-30 hours) resulting in a tough but satisfying loss. The set up is France, King level, standard size and speed, Small Continents (which produced long snaky continents with multiple fat parts - best map I've seen in Civ5) with 9 extra civs and 16 city-states.

It was my goal to focus on culture and to get a cultural win but maintaining a high-quality military (not doing so can be a death knell on some maps). To that end, I managed only three cities (easy to do since the map played tight) with puppets of a couple nearby civs (but not totally destroy). I never focused on culture and policies that much in previous games, so it was a learning experience and something different besides my usual superior military strategy.

My tech rate was good, usually in the top 2 literacy most of the game thanks to policies and wonders (built 19 in all). Had Rifling by 1000ad (along with Steel, Astronomy, etc.). Each of my three cities grew to 10+ without a lot of food specials and only 1-2 maritimes.

The problems were India and Greece. By 1500, India was expanding and growing like crazy on a fat grassy part at the end of the continent. There were amassing 10,000+ in gold and then raced ahead in techs. They knew I was going for culture and did what I usually do to the AI - disrupt my progress. They declared war on me around 1800 but because of a chokepoint in the mountains and several well-placed Destroyers, I was able to hold them off. But they did impede my progress enough for them to get a Science victory while I had 4-5 policies left to get (plus Utopia).

Greece, on the other hand, ended up causing me to lose more than India. We were about even in the number of allied city-states (with most of them being cultural) until they started getting very aggressive in going after my city-states. They had the gold and what they couldn't bribe, they conquered. In the end, I lost all but two city-states due to Greece's aggressiveness. I had not seen that before but it was good to see them taking me on directly by under-cutting profitable city-states.

By 1700, I was running +250 culture after getting Constitution and then +425 in early 1800s after Hermitage and a broadcast tower in the capital. But after that, the effects of India and Greece mitigated my cultural points advancements to where getting the Eiffel Tower didn't help much.

And then to top it all off, India sent me a nuke on my capital - the first nuke ever against me in any civ game that I have played since Civ2. They did that the turn after they completed Apollo and it took me by surprise.

In the end, I learned some things, esp. what I could do better. I learned about some new policies and their effect, which were very cool given the right circumstances. That's the reason I play civ - to be challenged and it was great (and humbling) to get beaten fair and square by using tactics that I would do against the AI.

Culture wins are tough simply because they take so friggin' long. The most I've ever gotten was 4 complete trees and unlocked a 5th before I won by diplo.

Nothing at all wrong with how long it takes. Just have to do work harder in doing it before an AI wins.

which branches did you choose? i recommend tradition, piety, patronage, freedom, and the last doesn't matter as much... small continents might want commerce, generally i take order. those four all have things that help speed up culture gains either directly or indirectly.

My last game I was well on the way to a cultural victory when I noticed that Arabia had 12 (!) city state allies (of 10 required for a diplo victory). They had tons of gold too...and they were already in the modern era. I expected them to build the UN at any point.

But they didn't, for whatever reason. So I took opened my last policy tree, Order, and picked the left side immediately when I could (the one that makes other civs influence with CS decay faster). I also did what I could to stay in golden ages to get culture and buy out Arabian city states.

In the end, I started on the Utopia project, and when it was due in 9 turns, I used a GE to finish the UN too. It was funny...by that time I had bought off several of his city states, he was down to 8 allies. He kept buying off one each turn again, all while the turn timer for the UN ticked down. When I finished Utopia, with one turn left on UN, he still hadn't bought back all his allies...while sitting on 7k+ gold. Silly AI...

In the end, I started on the Utopia project, and when it was due in 9 turns, I used a GE to finish the UN too. It was funny...by that time I had bought off several of his city states, he was down to 8 allies. He kept buying off one each turn again, all while the turn timer for the UN ticked down. When I finished Utopia, with one turn left on UN, he still hadn't bought back all his allies...while sitting on 7k+ gold. Silly AI...

The thing I don't understand here is why you built the UN. Just to mess around?

which branches did you choose? i recommend tradition, piety, patronage, freedom, and the last doesn't matter as much... small continents might want commerce, generally i take order. those four all have things that help speed up culture gains either directly or indirectly.

Yes, those were the four. I really didn't know which ones I need to focus and I'm glad I chose wisely, just not fast enough.

Top Bottom