Tourism Tactic

ToodleElNoodos

Warlord
Not sure if anyone's done this before, but have you ever had that runaway civ in which you really need to influence them to finish the game before they finish up that spaceship ALL the way on the other side of the map?

Simple method to solving all your Tourmongering ways!

1) Fill out the Aesthetics tree or choose the "To the Glory of God" Reformation belief.

2) Build a settler!

Spoiler :

3) Settle a city really close-by to your own and give it a road.
4) Hand that city to the victim of your choice.

Ahhh...soon you shall succumb to my pants!
Spoiler :

Here's how far dear victim is.
Spoiler :

5) Industrial era...spawn your Great Musicians of Doom (TM).

Spoiler :

6) ???

7) PROFIT!!!

"The blue jeans and rock music abides dude!"
Spoiler :

Saved me 15 turns of waddling through long turns, most satisfactory!

I suppose it's handy if the enemy land is quite a distance away.

I tried something similiar when Harald was runaway in culture. He was too far away to get a trade route with him, so I just gave him a city, not realising I couldn't send a trade route to a puppet. Even after paying cash for the city, he just razed it, which was weird.

I don't see what this is doing exactly....can't I just have open borders and share a religion with the other civ? Why am I gifting them cities? Distance does nothing for tourism.

I don't see what this is doing exactly....can't I just have open borders and share a religion with the other civ? Why am I gifting them cities? Distance does nothing for tourism.

There land is 20 turns away, they will finish the final Space Ship part in 10....give them a close city, and tourism bomb it since you can't make it to their land in time any other way.

Haa sounds like a GREAT idea to me :p I'll do it just to not have to walk all the way over there, even if there's no hurry. With my luck I'd also have to navigate through 2-3 warzones with AI shuffling their carpets of doom every turn to perfectly block my poor musicians path *sighh* I say no thanks to that.

In addition, it required very early moves (either the Piety start to pick that Reformation belief; and even if going down that path Jesuit Education is better [but the AI knows this and so will pick it if they beat you to it] or filling out an entire policy tree (Aesthetics); while many players would consider opening the policy just for that wonder, most people switch to Rationalism the moment they can.

A tactic I used in my last game was to diplomat spam my toughest rival to find out where he kept most of his great works, then declared on him, captured that city and moved all the art back to my own museums before he could take it back. Worked like a charm :)

Spoils of war ftw :king:

That seems HIGHLY situational.

It would speed up turns by a bit though. You can also grant trade routes with them which is another 25% if they're too far away. I never thought about it. But in the Modern era when it takes only 2 turns to make a settler, this is pretty good idea. Give them a really crappy location to boot, lol.

So all in all, it could save a couple of turns for the GM bomb and the 25% if you still can't form a trade route after you got Hotels.

It is a bit situational though. Not that situational.

There land is 20 turns away, they will finish the final Space Ship part in 10....give them a close city, and tourism bomb it since you can't make it to their land in time any other way.

But... wouldn't X-Com's reach them in time in most cases?

Only problem. The settler needs 20 turns to get there as well. :lol:

Doesn't work in an emergency situation. Of course, if you have a city nearby for whatever reason, it's a good idea. ^^

It's not situational at all, it speeds up every culture victory by at least several turns, often more.
RealHuhn, you must have mistaken what he meant, the settler doesn't have to travel to their lands, the point is to gift them a city that is neighbouring one of your cities from where you can buy great musicians, negating the travel time you'd have to spend otherwise.

It's not situational at all, it speeds up every culture victory by at least several turns, often more.

Completing the Aesthetics tree (Which you'd have to do if you don't use the Piety start) would speed up the cultural victory by much more than selling that city.
(Theming bonuses doubled)

^ Not sure what the point of this post is. This strategy adds to the Finisher. It isn't a either/or option.

I actually want to do this, since in one of my cultural games, I couldn't set a trade route with Rome, and he was the cultural giant, and it took 5-6 turns for each GM to get there.

That seems HIGHLY situational.

Actually it's really not and this IS useful, I settled a city next to France in one of my games so I could airdrop in great musicians, it never really occurred to me to just gift them a city nearby.

The runaway is often on the other side of the map (if they're not then there's a good chance they've clashed with you and wasted so many turns walking their armies into your meat grinder that they are no longer the runaway), so this strategy is often very useful.

RealHuhn, you must have mistaken what he meant, the settler doesn't have to travel to their lands, the point is to gift them a city that is neighbouring one of your cities from where you can buy great musicians, negating the travel time you'd have to spend otherwise.

Oh wow, I'm dumb. Thanks for mentioning. :lol:

Top Bottom