Trade Route Bug?

Goldeneye007

Chieftain
Hoping somewhere here can point me in the right direction. For years I've had this issue but finally decided to post about it. I'm not sure if it's some weird bug or if I'm just a huge idiot and don't understand the UI.

Basically in my Trade Routes overview, the available routes is ALWAYS empty. I don't think I've ever seen an available route listed there, despite clearing having routes available since I can choose them with my traders. It's frustrating because I never know if I should build a trader because I have a route available or not, so I basically have to buy/purchase a builder blindly, hoping that a route is actually available. If one is not, I've wasted my production/gold.

Am I just not understanding how the trade window is supposed to work or is this some kind of bug? Screenshot below.

Standard first debugging question: Are you playing with any mods?
Yes but I have tried with all mods off. Here is a screenshot below of that now. Went into Additional Content > Mods and disabled everything thing in there except R&F and GS. I then started a new quick game. As you can see Available Routes is still empty, as it is 100% of the time in every game I've ever played of Civ 6, yet I clearly have a route available.

Are you using a saved configuration? If you create a game configuration that has mods, even if they're later disabled, they will still load if you use that same configuration to start another game.

If you're not using a save configuration and all mods are disabled, try verifying the integrity of your game files through Steam.

If that doesn't work, start a quick game and then look for warning or error messages in your database, modding, and lua logs located at "..User Files\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Logs" once you open the trade route popup.

If there's nothing in the logs, next try deleting the Mods.sqlite file @ "...\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods.sqlite" and the three debug files in "...\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Cache". Start another game with every mod disabled and see if it's fixed.

If that still doesn't work, you could try uninstalling the game making sure to delete any leftover files/folders in "...\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI" and "...\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI", and then do a fresh install. That'll wipe out any mods you have manually installed not via Steam so back those up.

And, finally if none of that works you can submit a support ticket to 2K/FXS here. They'll likely ask you to submit information like the diagdx, GraphicsOptions, and logs that can be found by following the instructions here.

Are you using a saved configuration? If you create a game configuration that has mods, even if they're later disabled, they will still load if you use that same configuration to start another game.

No saved configuration used. I stopped using these as I noticed they save mod configuration status despite the enabling/disabling of mods, which seems like a poor decision to me.

If you're not using a save configuration and all mods are disabled, try verifying the integrity of your game files through Steam.

This was done without success.

If that doesn't work, start a quick game and then look for warning or error messages in your database, modding, and lua logs located at "..User Files\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Logs" once you open the trade route popup.

If there's nothing in the logs, next try deleting the Mods.sqlite file @ "...\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods.sqlite" and the three debug files in "...\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Cache". Start another game with every mod disabled and see if it's fixed.

If that still doesn't work, you could try uninstalling the game making sure to delete any leftover files/folders in "...\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI" and "...\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI", and then do a fresh install. That'll wipe out any mods you have manually installed not via Steam so back those up.

All of this was done, and I even installed the game fresh on a brand new system as a test, and it too has the issue. I played around with it extensively and believe I have it figured out. It's a bug.
Back in the Civ4 Civ5 days, I was exclusively a One City Challenge/Venice player. I just enjoy having one large mega city as opposed to managing multiple. I just find more than one city too tedious and not enjoyable, plus turns take too long. Despite the changes in Civ6, this has carried over, and I exclusively play with only one city.

If you only have one city, the trade routes available screen will always be empty. Perhaps there must be at least one internal trade route available before any, including foreign trade routes show. As a random test I built a second settler and settled another city, and immediately there were trade routes available. I then went back and loaded old saves where I was in turns 100, 200, 250 or more where there was never a single trade route available in that page, bought a settler, settled a city, and Bam, they all show up.

Since I want to continue my OCC habits, I downloaded the mod "Better Trade Screens" from the workshop, and that has resolved it even with one city.

Thanks for your assistance.

Top Bottom