Trade Routes

GT_OKEZ

Warlord
We know there is a limit on what trade routes you can have. Does this count only for trade routes outside of your Civ or between your own cities too?

Would really like to know what are all the possible sources for more trade routes after the first one. I know you can get +1 with Commercial Hub and Harbor. Also some more with wonders, some with Great Merchants and still more with Government type, e.g. Merchant Republic. I'd like to know what the maximum is for any one civ to possess, assuming you could corner all the possible sources.

Is it just me or should we prioritize the commercial hub over the industrial zone pretty much always? Internal trade routes are a much bigger boost to production than the adjacency bonus of the industrial zone, aren't they (plus all the extra food)? And commercial hub also gives extra gold, of course.

The area bonus can be stacked. 3 production to 6 cities is a total of 18 production and 6 IZ all which effect 6 cities will give each city 18 production per turn.

CH buildings can not give anywhere near that yield and I doubt trade routes can give anywhere that yield as well.

Before factories IZ is not anything spectacular.

Last edited:
*snip* Before factories IZ is not anything spectacular.

And factories come a good amount of time after the Industrial Zone becomes available. Commercial is available early game, its production benefits kick in with less investment and you have more flexibility on where that production goes. I think early game some Commercial Zones are the best investment we can make. Money gets you literally everything but wonders and trade routes provide early production and food boosts.

One thing I notice is the streamers almost never get as many districts as population allows. Not even on insane production cities. I get the feeling we have a district limit because it is intended we get as many districts as possible. Yet the early players rarely butt up against that limit. I think its because they are neglecting an important part of their economy. Namely commercial districts and trade routes.

And factories come a good amount of time after the Industrial Zone becomes available. Commercial is available early game, its production benefits kick in with less investment and you have more flexibility on where that production goes. I think early game some Commercial Zones are the best investment we can make. Money gets you literally everything but wonders and trade routes provide early production and food boosts.

One thing I notice is the streamers almost never get as many districts as population allows. Not even on insane production cities. I get the feeling we have a district limit because it is intended we get as many districts as possible. Yet the early players rarely butt up against that limit. I think its because they are neglecting an important part of their economy. Namely commercial districts and trade routes.

Yeah, exactly. I've mainly watched Marbozir and he always builds Industrial Zone before Commercial Hub. Trade routes are way too powerful and flexible. I don't see how the IZ can compete with them in the early game. Not to mention that they can be boosted by quite a few social policies as well AND create roads between your cities (or towards your next target for war ;)) AND help your cities to grow.

Last edited:
The adjancecy bonus can be stacked. 3 production to 6 cities is a total of 18 production and 6 IZ all which effect 6 cities will give each city 18 production per turn.

CH buildings can not give anywhere near that yield and I doubt trade routes can give anywhere that yield as well.

Before factories IZ is not anything spectacular.
The adjacency bonuses are not stacked, just the bonus from the factory/powerplant themselves.

Would really like to know what are all the possible sources for more trade routes after the first one. I know you can get +1 with Commercial Hub and Harbor. Also some more with wonders, some with Great Merchants and still more with Government type, e.g. Merchant Republic. I'd like to know what the maximum is for any one civ to possess, assuming you could corner all the possible sources.

I do not remember all the possible sources, but I do not think there is a fixed cap. So it will depend on the number of commercial hubs and harbors, which will again be limited by the number of cities.

But at one point in the game the cost of new districts and traders will be so high it will no longer pay off, even if there is no set maximum.

Question for civ 6. When you create a trader in a city and you get a list of cities to trade to which city does the trade route benefit on the list? The city that has the trader? Once the trade route is made, the benefits persist until the trade route is pillaged? Can you repeat trade routes to the same cities? 2 trade routes from same city to capital for example?

When you create a trader in a city and you get a list of cities to trade to which city does the trade route benefit on the list?
In most chases only start city gain from the trade route,
Once the trade route is made, the benefits persist until the trade route is pillaged?
Yes or when the trade route have run out of time. But you keep the trad unit if the trade route have run out of time and you can start the same trade route again.

Can you repeat trade routes to the same cities?
Only one copy of each trade route can exist but Im pretty sure you can have one trade route from city A to city B as well as one B to A active at the same time.

Top Bottom