Trading Post Graphic(s)?

Auncien

Prince
Hi all.

Simple question: will the trading post graphics change at all when you hit a new era as those of towns did in Civ IV? It seems somewhat silly to see a World War II era bomber unit flying above little tent outposts. It would be very, very silly to see a GDR stomping through what looks to be a well-established circus outside of a gleaming glass and steel city. Are there different trading post graphics for different eras and if not then may we please have them?

Rawr.

It looks like pretty much all the improvements have different graphics for ancient and modern versions.

Or they could change with gaining upgrades from techs, like fertilizer for farms.

Excellent. Thanks for the information XD

While the modern version already looks a lot better than the tents, I can't stop posting on every occasion that I hope someone makes them look like villages in a Mod.

Regular readers might find my complaints repetitive, I sincerely apologize! ;)

While the modern version already looks a lot better than the tents, I can't stop posting on every occasion that I hope someone makes them look like villages in a Mod.

Not at all. Seconded. :)

No... I can't complain. As much as I wouldn't want to say it, they look so silly. I need them to look different, too.

Also they don't grow like cottages did, Gregs lates improvement feature stated this, but just wanted to say it again! They will change with policies and perhaps techs, I know they gain +1 science at one point. My only beef is the fruity coloring of them.

I also much prefer the more natural village/suburban city sprawl than a world dominated by circusses. I mean, who came up with these tents? Seriously. :confused:

Their get better the further advanced in techs you are, and they can get +1 science from a social policy.

The change from tents to buildings suggest their graphical look will improve somehow, probably via Era advancement or tech acquisition.

i don't think the tents themselves are the main issue however, rather the fact that they are multicolor tents (as someone put it above, "circus tents" )

I mean, i can live with a ragged collection of tents as an ancient/classical trading post to some extent, but they shouldn't be reminiscent of a gay parade.

Nothing weird about colours, they have existed since time immemorial, the world was not blander in that sense in early history, despite early TV being in black and white, the real world has always been a fantastical display of many varieties of colour. Depending on material used to make the tents would vary their colour, and different traders would use different materials.

Moderator Action: Lets keep this on topic and avoid slurs

I guess the main problem is the tents have stripes. If they didn't have those stripes they wouldn't look nearly as much like circuses.

I agree. A simple texture swap could fix this easily. *hint hint*

Nothing weird about colours, they have existed since time immemorial, the world was not blander in that sense in early history, despite early TV being in black and white, the real world has always been a fantastical display of many varieties of colour. Depending on material used to make the tents would vary their colour, and different traders would use different materials.

While I will agree with this from a historical perspective, the game's visuals also serves to portray information and emotion to the player.

The reality is for modern culture a colored tent is symbolic of a circus, while single color (drab) tent are symbolic of living tents. If you are trying to convey the sense of the latter to player, then you need to use the symbols for the latter.

I liked cottages because it looked like my city was spreading in various directions. Trading posts makes me look like I live in a circus! I wish it was still the "city" graphic, but with the trading post stats.

Colours have indeed existed since time immemorial, coloured tents, however, have not. Almost all early tents were made from animal skins, and the vast majority were barely tanned let alone painted.
With a few exceptions (occasional painted Tipi's in native american villages, most were not painted however), tents were 100% utilitarian and usually had colours in the brown palette (due to the skins they were made from).

So TV aside, circus tents all over the place in the ancient/classical period is just wrong.

Top Bottom