Treebeard the Dragonslayer

Rod

King
I had an interesting experience in my current game that I want to share.

First I explain the setting

In my neverending personal quest to achieve a Ljolsalfasar victory in 200 turns I have now chosen following setting.

Map: Creation, tiny, Ljolsalfar (led by Amelanchier) + 3 random AI (turned out to be Sidar (led by Sandalpon), Amurites (led by Valladia) and Ethne (forget the name of the civ, the peacemakers)

Basic Settings: Advanced Start (750), Ancient Age, Quick Speed

Other Settings: No Settlers, No City Razing, End of Winter, Barbarian World, Agressive AI, Raging Barbs, Amatheon's Blessing (More ressources), Double Events and Animals, AI No Building Requirements

The creation map created two continents: One for me and Sandalphon and one for Valladia and Ethne

I bought myself 3 cities, Hunting and a few Warriors and Scouts.

It so happened that one of my cities (the only city with Fur and Deer) was separated from my core territory by a range of peaks.

The way around the mountains led through Barbarian Territory and was overshadowed by the Sidar Capital.

I thought, no big deal, Sidars are VERY vulnerable to Warrior Rushes and the Barbarians won't stop me either .. I was wrong ... as I was preparing my blow against the Sidar Capital something big, red and unfriendly entered the world.

Archeron spawned in this very Barbarian City that blocked the way between Evermore and Bruti. The problem with Archeron is not so much his bad smelling breath (somehow even Warriors managed to survive the Meteors) as I could easily build a road adjacent to his city and therefore use my Commando Ability for fast travel in Wilderlands. The problem with Archeron is his Hoard (and the +8 Culture gain).

The bloody Hoard will soon turn a large territory into Barbarian Land ,overshadow all cities adjacend to it (my capital and the conquered Sidar Capital) and hence prevent me to unite my Realm. So I got Archery and hoped that a highly promoted Gilden will do the job with enough Cannon Fodder.
A test run proved different. The fear factor is too high !!

But there is another MUCH easier solution ..

.. I always overlook the Ljolsalfar World Spell. I somehow don't want to waste my spell, because it could be important later .. it is stupid, there is no later.

.. and ... Treants don't know Fear ...

So before the century turned I mounted a huge Ent ehmm Treant Army and easily overran all Dragons and other nasty beings in my future territory. In the end less than 9 Treants were required to do entire job. I had no idea that the March of the Trees is so powerful !

Nice story, I wish you kept screenshots and wrote full after action report.

Btw, treants are especially vulnerable to fire damage from meteors. I can imagine how hard fight it was : )

March of the Trees makes declaring war on a Ljosalfar AI a 5-turn wait with attacking forces heavily fortified in cities before actually moving in.

pretty sure if they were human they'd declare war on you and march their forests before they burned. At least, I would. Burn my forest will you?!

Top Bottom