Tribute=10 turns of peace

mrchadt

Warlord
In my first attempt at a bts game I demanded some money before I was about to attack, this resulted in 10 turns of peace which I was not happy with (in the game). I like this, as I don't like the idea of extorting money only to then attack, it's good that giving into extortion give benefits.

Its a nice touch, does make sense. Was surprised to discover this though after I had massed a huge stack on America's borders and they had to sit there till it had expired!

10 turns is a long time when your stack is on the border twidling their thumbs. I was furious, glad someone else had the same problem, makes me feel better. It will work both ways though, if the ai extorts you then 10 turns is enough time to build an army.

i was more confused then anything else - why can't i declare war, whats going on?!

I suppose if a country does give tribute it was was to buy a temporary peace. Would be nice to be able to break the peace with some massive diplomatic penalty.

It suprised me too, my favourite tactic demand and attack had been defeated. Which worries me is that you can give the AI free resource (they never decline, right?) and just build spaceship or such in peace while the AI can't refuse your 10 turns of peace because they are programmed to accept free gifts..

I think any deal comes along with a ten turn peace treaty now. It makes sense I think

I think (but dont know) agreeing open borders does the same thing

Yeah this one got me. Fresh army of Oromo warriors, and twiddlin their thumbs. By the time the peace expired, he had built rifles :( g

I would like a list of things that cause this thing called peace. It could be useful to use for defence esp. in Cultural victories.

For the sake of the game and the AI, I think this is absolutely necessary. In Civ 3, it was just too easy to rip off the AI. Worse than demanding tribute and declaring war, you could make an open borders agreement and set up huge stacks of units next to their cities. You could wipe out a huge civilization in one turn, and no punishment would be enough to make you care.

I think they should have more diplomacy in this "trade off" style", since it forces all agreements to be at least somewhat fair.

This surprised me too. I demanded money to finance the campaign I was about to declare on them, then tried to figure out what the hell happened.

I'm pretty sure a gift works that way too. I was playing around and gave Dye to the Vikings, only to notice I couldn't declare war on them. I'm pretty sure it was related.

Top Bottom