Troll's Cave

Kalina

Just lurking...
Hi :)

First of all, thank you all for creating such a good modmod, I'm having great time playing it :D
But I encountered one issue I can't deal with - Troll's Cave. How do you destroy those ? I have dealt with troll (He killed four warriors befere dying :>) but when I enter tile with it's lair, there is no 'explore lair' button. Am I doing something wrong or those lair just can't be destroyed ? I'm using lastest version of orbis installed on lastest version of ffh (both downloaded today).

Thanks in advance !

Well that is one of the frequently asked questions, and the solution might be a bit unintuitive. You need to research Construction and this in turn allows your workers to drain the swamp, which destroys the Troll Cave.

I think Ahwaric decided upon this solution because he wanted the Trolls the be more of an obstacle in the early game, as well guaranteeing that they only spawn in swamps.

I want trolls to spawn even inside cultural borders, and for that I need a lair.
They spawn in caveless swamps outside borders, too.

Plus I want them to spawn longer, so the lair is not that easy to remove.

Not sure if people like it as it is... Do you?

I've never seen any troll lair... That makes me wonder if I shouldn't use some mapscript instead of Creation. Is this one not good with Orbis? I've never seen kelp either...

Anyway, a bit on and a bit off topic, I always wondered why are animals kept outside of the cultural borders. Roaming animals in the territory would be fun!

Never see a troll cave or kelp either since I prefer the "Perfect World" mapscript. Having these features spawn through lairs and events could make them appear regardless of the script used.

I've never seen any troll lair... That makes me wonder if I shouldn't use some mapscript instead of Creation. Is this one not good with Orbis? I've never seen kelp either...

Anyway, a bit on and a bit off topic, I always wondered why are animals kept outside of the cultural borders. Roaming animals in the territory would be fun!

Save the Swamp Trolls! Ban Construction! Save our Swamps (rinse and repeat).

Huh. After reading this I did some searching and it sounds like there's all kinds of cool stuff that doesn't show up on the Erebus map. Kelp, troll caves, haunted forests, etc. I assumed that Erebus was the default map for FFH2 and submods!

Are the other maps way cooler than Erebus under Orbis? Any chance someone could update the Erebus script under Orbis so the cool stuff shows up?

Huh. After reading this I did some searching and it sounds like there's all kinds of cool stuff that doesn't show up on the Erebus map. Kelp, troll caves, haunted forests, etc. I assumed that Erebus was the default map for FFH2 and submods!

Are the other maps way cooler than Erebus under Orbis? Any chance someone could update the Erebus script under Orbis so the cool stuff shows up?
I wanted to do it but I realized I have no idea whatsoever of what is causing this features to not appear. As far as I know, they don't appear in Erebus, Creation or ErebusContinent.

They actually appear on all the "basic" mapscripts. I recommend using either Tectonics, Earth2 or NewWorld if you want all the Orbis terrain. I assume Kelp, Troll lairs and Haunted are coded differently from other terrain features, which makes non-random scripts (like PerfectWorld) ignore them.

I guess this is because the custom scripts generally don't use FeatureGenerator() and instead have their own addFeatures() function which only treats some features (in case of FfH-made scripts, the FfH base features). Adding the Kelp and all shouldn't be really difficult in fact.

I guess this is because the custom scripts generally don't use FeatureGenerator() and instead have their own addFeatures() function which only treats some features (in case of FfH-made scripts, the FfH base features). Adding the Kelp and all shouldn't be really difficult in fact.

Sounds like a volunteer to me!

I think I really need to learn to mod now. I have a bunch of ideas of how I'd tweak small things for myself and it's probably a lot simpler to learn to do it than to convince the modders to include my pet projects ;)

I tried installing the Flavormod 2 with the cool new map scripts over Orbis but, no surprise, it vomited all over itself.

Well, FlavorMod is built-in in Orbis, no need to install it ;)

By the way, feel free to ask for help if you encounter issues while modding!

Well, FlavorMod is built-in in Orbis, no need to install it ;)

By the way, feel free to ask for help if you encounter issues while modding!

FlavorMod 2 seems to have a bunch of custom map scripts (Erebus Continents, PerfectWorld, etc) which I didn't have with default Orbis. I tried installing it over Orbis and it screwed up a bunch of files. But when I uninstalled Orbis, installed the map stuff over FFH2 0.40z, and then reinstalled Orbis it worked fine and I have the new map stuff.

Still no troll caves, kelp, etc with the custom map scripts though. Clearly someone (hint) needs to add it. :)

FlavorMod 2 seems to have a bunch of custom map scripts (Erebus Continents, PerfectWorld, etc) which I didn't have with default Orbis. I tried installing it over Orbis and it screwed up a bunch of files. But when I uninstalled Orbis, installed the map stuff over FFH2 0.40z, and then reinstalled Orbis it worked fine and I have the new map stuff.

Still no troll caves, kelp, etc with the custom map scripts though. Clearly someone (hint) needs to add it. :)
Haha, I guess I'm hinted at :lol:
I think I'll try to add them. I never touched mapscripts before, though, so don't expect anything. At worst, I will have some talk with one of the creators or I'll search the tutorials forum.

Yay! It's working. I've managed to add kelp and scrubs to PerfectWorld2. So, I will add other features like the Haunted Lands and the Crystal Plains. I have a few questions though, mainly directed at Ahwaric but anyone's advice would be great. Those questions are concerning the spawn-conditions of features:

Kelp:
I read that kelp is mostly seen in 20°C water. So, I thought to keep them on coast, as of now, and to allow them to appear in "mild-tempered" water (this would only work with temperature-scripts as PW2). For other scripts, I don't know yet. Maybe the rainfall...​

Crystal Plains:
Well, these things don't exist, do they? So, I was thinking of allowing them on really cold snow tiles or on less cold but riverside snow tiles. Again, non-temp scripts should use something else.​

Haunted Lands:
As they aren't depending on climate, I have few ideas on how to set them up. Near peaks maybe...​

Cistern:
What are those? Never seen them before and don't know what they look like. Cisterns are man-made so... I don't know how to set them up either :lol:

Yay! It's working. I've managed to add kelp and scrubs to PerfectWorld2. So, I will add other features like the Haunted Lands and the Crystal Plains
Great, I wanted to try to edit the scripts for a long time, but have been low on time...
Remeber to post them when you finish so that I can add them to 0.23 (and learn a bit by comparing :p )

Kelp:
I read that kelp is mostly seen in 20°C water. So, I thought to keep them on coast, as of now, and to allow them to appear in "mild-tempered"
Actually, it is below 20°C. So these are fine for polar climates.
Maybe we need another feature, coral reef, for tropical climates? Or just keep it simple and assume thet different algae grow in warm water on Erebus
Crystal Plains:
Well, these things don't exist, do they? So, I was thinking of allowing them on really cold snow tiles or on less cold but riverside snow tiles.
No, they do not exist. I added them as a replacement for flood plains in Illian territory (when these freeze). Suitable for any area that has a lot of frozen water.
Haunted Lands:
As they aren't depending on climate, I have few ideas on how to set them up. Near peaks maybe...
A bit here, a bit there. Just for diversity.
Cistern:
What are those? Never seen them before and don't know what they look like. Cisterns are man-made so... I don't know how to set them up either :lol:

Cisterns are created when citybuilds aqueduct. It is added because I can add a source of fresh water only by adding feature. Far from optimal solution, I would prefer it to be integrated into building (but that requires SDK). Should not spawn.​

Great, this helps a lot! :goodjob:
Great, I wanted to try to edit the scripts for a long time, but have been low on time...
Remeber to post them when you finish so that I can add them to 0.23 (and learn a bit by comparing :p )
I'll do that :)

Maybe we need another feature, coral reef, for tropical climates? Or just keep it simple and assume thet different algae grow in warm water on Erebus
I think I'll do that, keeping it simple... or maybe just for those scripts without temperature. I'll see :)

A bit here, a bit there. Just for diversity.
I'll use a random spawn then.

Cisterns are created when citybuilds aqueduct. It is added because I can add a source of fresh water only by adding feature. Far from optimal solution, I would prefer it to be integrated into building (but that requires SDK). Should not spawn.
Oh, fine. I wanted to add a freshwater building too for the Ngomele but discovered that it has to be done in the DLL... :(

I lnow what needs to grow in the water of Erbus! Tiberium algae!

Oh, absolutely, lots and lots of crystals for me. But come to think of it, ice age, hell terrain and haunted lands are pretty mild compared to Tiberium.

Top Bottom