Tropico 3

Janusi

Warlord
Has anybody else tried the Tropico 3 demo yet? I played it and liked it quite a bit, though a few times I wasn't quite clear how I could get something done.

Like how to get more soldiers, for example.

I like it so far, not a million miles away from the original, but I'll defo buy the full version. I think if you increase soldiers salaries more will join.

I'm a huge fan of the original game and will be getting Tropico 3 as soon as it's released. Haven't played the demo yet because I'm stuck with a crappy laptop

October is such a great month for gaming. Tropico 3, The Void, Call of Pripyat...

I love it! Definitely getting the game when released.

soldiers require high school education so you have to either educate your citizens or hire an immigrant.

My experience with the demo is that I was constantly going bankrupt pissing off the people. I built a single farm (coffee on the hill) and a fisherman's wharf, then a tenament after the event halving its cost, and I was losing money hand over fist.

I liked the demo, but the tutorial could be better and more comprehensive.
The banana scenario was easy (although I was mainly exporting pineapples), but in the mining scenarion I constantly got my butt kicked by rebels.
Don't know if I'll buy it though. Semester starts soon, and shortly afterwards my gaming will be reserved for Dragon Age.

I tried it tonight, and prior to trying it hoped that it wasn't too different from Tropico, since the original was so fun, and Tropico 2 was hardly a sequel at all. Well, it certainly wasn't too different. I was soon struck by just how similar it was. The gameplay seems to be almost identical. The character traits, the buildings, even the prices for the buildings are almost exactly the same. Sure, there's one or two more options for character traits, and you can build a Llama Ranch now in addition to goat ranches and cattle ranches (which is kinda cool), but it really is essentially the same game with a few minor additions. Even the Avatar feature really is a fairly minor addition. It's cool to be able to have El Presidente actually present on the island, and able to interact with the populace somewhat, and give election speeches, but it doesn't make the game radically different.

The one area that I'll have to reserve judgement on is the events. I'm just a few years in, but they actually have seemed more varied and dynamic. The US and USSR care that I'm borrowing money from the World Bank, and international funds are giving me development money because my island is the worst place to live. Feels a bit less isolated.

edit: I'd like to see how it performs with a very large island, too. The ol' Pentium II tended to slow down with about 400 Tropicans, and now Tropico runs like the breeze with that many. Hopefully software bloat hasn't rendered it so 300 Tropicans makes a modern processor seem slow now.

Economically, the Banana scenario seems easy so far - the U.S. and USSR are just throwing money at me. But then again, I don't know what the difficulty settings are. MrPopov, if the export prices are similar to the original, fish draw rock-bottom prices, and coffee takes a long time to grow after the initial planting (once you get the first harvest, the second it much quicker). At least in this scenario, though, foreign aid ought to be enough to make it through the lean times so long as you don't do anything to significantly upset the USSR.

So I'm undecided on whether I'll buy it. They definitely played it safe, which means there's no real big negatives. But whether it's worth paying $35-$40 for, with it being so similar, I'm not sure. I'd been hoping there'd be just a bit more to differentiate it.

The one area that I'll have to reserve judgement on is the events. I'm just a few years in, but they actually have seemed more varied and dynamic. The US and USSR care that I'm borrowing money from the World Bank, and international funds are giving me development money because my island is the worst place to live. Feels a bit less isolated.
Events are scripted

Events are scripted

Which is dumb, as they stop happening after the year 2000.

Which means you can be a total ass the entire time and not having any rebellions.

Gotta see how it runs on my 2-3 year old laptop before I buy it... downloading the demo tonight when I get home. Japanese broadband is better than what I had in Minnesota. :)

Events are scripted

Surely some are random, though? The Fruitas ones, yes, but I'd think the World Bank one at least was not scenario-specific. The aid because my island was poor I'm not sure about, but I'd like to think that could be a generic (non-scenario-specific) one, too. In the original Tropico, there were both events that could happen during the game (rebellions, being forced by the World Bank to lower wages, etc.) and scenario-specifc ones. The regular-game ones didn't have that great of variety, though, and I was hoping perhaps the variety was better in Tropico 3.

Then again, no one's played a random game yet, so it may not be possible to know for sure.

Delayed until mid-November. How disappointing.

I don't think the PC one is. It's gonna be released on tuesday. Although I keep hearing conflicting news as to whether the Steam version will be released on tuesday or in november.

I don't think the PC one is. It's gonna be released on tuesday. Although I keep hearing conflicting news as to whether the Steam version will be released on tuesday or in november.

Pretty sure the PC version is too. I got an e-mail from the supplier, and they said it is delayed until mid-November so I won't get it.

I've never known such a cack-handed release for a game in all my life.

Ah I think I see what's different here. The Oct 20 release is for the US. The November release is for Europe.

I thought it already was released in Europe, at least for Germany.

Top Bottom