trouble loading scenarios

carolinablue

Chieftain
Hey guys,

I need some help. I was exploring the "completed scenarios forum" and decided to try to play one of them (the World War 2 Global scenario - on the first page). I followed all the directions to the letter by downloading the unzipped files and copying/pasting the contents into my scenario folder. Everything went smoothly and when I started the game the file was right where I had put it, in the scenario folder of the load game menu. However, when I clicked the OK button to actually load the scenario nothing happened. All it did was open a new directory with two items in it (Art, Text). Both of these did the same thing, and all it ended up doing was send me in a big circle of directories with a bunch of folders in them (Units, Terrain, etc.). No error messages or anything. Why am I able to install a scenario but not load it and play it? Could some one please explain the process for downloading/playing scenarios correctly. Thank You :)

Also, I am playing the unpatched version of C3C. Is this the problem? And does the patch change the game drastically or just smooth over some of the bugs? Thanks again for taking the time to help.

First off - yes, install the patch. It does change the game quite drastically.

Secondly, it sounds like you were selected the scenario directory (which is why clicking "OK" just opened a folder) rather than the scenario itself. It is the file with the .BIQ extension that you need to load. Note: It may be under the "Civ Content" menu option, rather than the "scenarios" menu option.

Its probably the patch.

I think the WWII map's probably not compatible with the unpatched version.
Some stuff was changed in the patches and the map needed the stuff to run right. You can get the patches at civ3.com, or somewhere here at CFC.

You were right. I tried again with a different scenario and downloaded the unzipped file into my scenario folder, copied the .biq file and opened this from "Civ Content." It loaded without a hitch. However, I am only able to do this with .zip scenario files that contain just a readme file and the .biq file. The ones with additional files (pediaicons, art and text, etc.) do not seem to work. Is this because I am "exploring" the .zip file and specifically copying ONLY the .biq file. And if so, would the remedy for this be to "extract" the ENTIRE .zip file? I hope I am on the right track.

carolinablue said:
Hey guys,

I need some help. I was exploring the "completed scenarios forum" and decided to try to play one of them (the World War 2 Global scenario - on the first page). I followed all the directions to the letter by downloading the unzipped files and copying/pasting the contents into my scenario folder. Everything went smoothly and when I started the game the file was right where I had put it, in the scenario folder of the load game menu. However, when I clicked the OK button to actually load the scenario nothing happened. All it did was open a new directory with two items in it (Art, Text). Both of these did the same thing, and all it ended up doing was send me in a big circle of directories with a bunch of folders in them (Units, Terrain, etc.). No error messages or anything. Why am I able to install a scenario but not load it and play it? Could some one please explain the process for downloading/playing scenarios correctly. Thank You :)

Also, I am playing the unpatched version of C3C. Is this the problem? And does the patch change the game drastically or just smooth over some of the bugs? Thanks again for taking the time to help.

I cannot load large scenarios either; I have the same problem. Some of us need a new update for C3C.

carolinablue said:
You were right. I tried again with a different scenario and downloaded the unzipped file into my scenario folder, copied the .biq file and opened this from "Civ Content." It loaded without a hitch. However, I am only able to do this with .zip scenario files that contain just a readme file and the .biq file. The ones with additional files (pediaicons, art and text, etc.) do not seem to work. Is this because I am "exploring" the .zip file and specifically copying ONLY the .biq file. And if so, would the remedy for this be to "extract" the ENTIRE .zip file? I hope I am on the right track.

When you download a scenario and unzip it, you'll have a .biq file, and a folder called the name of the scenario. Inside will be an Art and Text folder as the two main folders holding the files. Move the folder with the scenario name to your C:/Program Files/Infogrames Interactive/Civilization III/Scenarios/ folder. Move the .biq to the .../Scenarios/ folder too. When you load C3C, select Civ-Content, then the name of the scenario (the .biq file). If you do it this way, you should never have to open the folder for the scenario, which isn't the right way to load scenarios anyway.

Top Bottom