Trying for a big comeback

demetrious

Chieftain
Would appreciate thoughts - On the third or forth difficulty level. Not a Civ guru. Med map - 8 civs.

I got a real bad start position. My capital was 2 people until irrigation. (Didn't know enough to figure this out before the settling of the capital.) At about 500 AD - dead last by quite a bit. Babs and me (Zulu) on the same continent. Slowly defeated the babs with Impi's destroying land improvements.

I have slowly moved up the ladder and now I am in 3rd - mid 1800's. Russia and Japan ahead of me. Just took out the Greeks with Cavalry and settled their entire land mass. My score is shooting upward.

Finally got a wonder with Smith's Trading. Decided to rush to the Hoover Dam and got there first but have just figured out that you must be on a river. I am on a continent with no rivers. I felt like this was going to get me back in the game. I am 3-4 techs behind russia and they have a 1300 to 850 point lead. But I am gaining quickly. They are battling Japan ( who I am supporting - at around 1050 points).

Any other good strategies that may get me closer - pursue taking over the weaker countries or go diplomatic and try to tie together a victory that way. Either is a long shot. Russia has been dominant from the start. I think I can get to second pretty easy but I don't think it's possible now that I can't build the Hoover Dam.

More info - Democracy - Have already built forbidden palace. Advancements about 5-6 turns.

Top Bottom