Date submitted: 2016-03-22 09:09:20
Your name: Alfango
Game status: Diplomacy Victory
Game date: 1942AD
Turns played: 362
Base score: 1370
Final score: 1902
Time played: 6:44:00

Well... I must say, this was my first GOTM ever, and I'm kind of proud of making it at first attempt. I'm not a native english speaker, so, excuse my bad english.

That was hard for me, but I guess that's the point. I decided to move my settler and I think that was a good move.

When I first saw Greece I just panicked. I rushed them with relative ease, but that was all my warmongering. From that point I tried to keep myself out of trouble as much as I could.

Were you first to the World Congress? First to Ideologies?
Nop. I think England got the World Congress. I was almost last at picking an ideology, but I think that wasn't that bad because that let me choose the dominant ideology and avoiding a sudden happiness drop.

How many City States were eliminated? Did you liberate any?
None of them. Other Civs were completly respectful. :p

Describe your World Leader votes and circumstances. Did it take more than one to win?
Absolutely. I think it was like the third voting. I struggled a lot bribing CS against America.

Did Siam's UA bonuses throw off your timing or improve it?
I don't think UA helped my timing, but it didn't hurt either. However, I think UA helped me to make up for my lack of army and science.

In hindsight, did the Archipelago map play a significant role in strategy?
I think it buyed me some time to build my empire up without being that worried about early attacks.

Well... I must say, this was my first GOTM ever, and I'm kind of proud of making it at first attempt.

Welcome to CFC and thanks for playing with us at Gotm! Glad you had a good time and was successful on your first attempt. Good luck in your future games!

HR

Probably not a good result but it may represent a new world's record for number of turns played in airports on the way back from New Zealand.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 130
Date submitted: 2016-03-22 21:09:45
Reference number: 34133
Your name: jshelr
Game date: 1880AD
Turns played: 310
Base score: 1254
Final score: 2022
Time played: 13:02:00
Submitted save: Ramkhamhaeng_0311 AD-1882.Civ5Save
Renamed file: jshelr_C513001.Civ5Save

Game date: 1860AD
Turns played: 300
Base score: 1671
Final score: 2785

Were you first to the World Congress? First to Ideologies?

First to WC.

How many City States were eliminated? Did you liberate any?

No was fairly peaceful.

Describe your World Leader votes and circumstances. Did it take more than one to win?

Think it was the second vote but not sure, not very good at diplomatic victory.

Did Siam's UA bonuses throw off your timing or improve it?

Not sure to be honest.

In hindsight, did the Archipelago map play a significant role in strategy?

Yes in that I knew the AI would probably be fairly weak in terms of a threat.

Date submitted: 2016-03-26 23:04:39
Reference number: 34149
Your name: IDontFinkSo
Game date: 1852AD
Turns played: 296
Base score: 1565
Final score: 2652
Time played: 6:00:00

- Were you first to the World Congress? First to Ideologies?
The Netherlands founded the word congress. But I oxforded into Radio to get first Ideology and picked Freedom.

- How many City States were eliminated? Did you liberate any?
None. And no.

- Describe your World Leader votes and circumstances. Did it take more than one to win? One the first vote, was allied with all city-states and a resurrected Alexander also supported my cause. :)

- Did Siam's UA bonuses throw off your timing or improve it?
My timing? The UA helped my cultur-game immensely. I won worldfair and to maximize the bonus I allied all culture CS and popped great Artists for Golden Ages. I quickly filled up Rationalism (except for the last policy, I saved the finisher to enter Info-Era) Patronage and some Freedom Tenets.

Did the Archipelago map play a significant role in strategy?
Imo the map-type hindered the AI to spam cities all over the place. Since it is quite easy to defend against a naval invasion, there is no need to build to many units. After kicking Alexander from the starting island, I put most of my hammers in infrastructure. I defended an British attack that had numerous Ship of the Line with some crossbowmen and 2 cannons. :)

Date submitted: 2016-03-27 14:14:53
Reference number: 34152
Your name: gobbledydook
Game date: 1804AD
Turns played: 272
Base score: 1289
Final score: 2387
Time played: 2:07:00

Got beat by William both times.
I didn't count, and I certainly didn't liberate any. My scouting was poor.
- Describe your World Leader votes and circumstances. Did it take more than one to win?
I teched to Info Era after 3 WC votes (World's Fair, IG, World Ideology - Freedom) but my timing messed up so I had to wait 15 turns after Info Era.
It certainly improved it, seeing as I grew much faster and got social policies faster.
- In hindsight, did the Archipelago map play a significant role in strategy?
Archipelago meant the starting island was small enough to completely block and steal Greece's settlers. He ended up useless all game and I took Athens after England reduced it to 1 hp with an elephant.
To those who think liberty is trash, no it isn't.

Date submitted: 2016-03-28 01:52:38
Reference number: 34155
Your name: belligerent
Game date: 1818AD
Turns played: 279
Base score: 1132
Final score: 2058
Time played: 5:11:00

England got the first one. I had all the rest. Yes, first to ideologies (Freedom). Three civs never got them at all.

None, though Attila took Ur during a war with William. They went back and forth a few times, and I swooped in and liberated Ur earning their vote for good. Also got me into war with Attila which resulted in my gaining Paris in the peace deal. Liberated them too, and that got me four more votes in the WC.

- Describe your World Leader votes and circumstances. Did it take more than one to win?

Won on the first whack. Had all the CS alliances anyway, but also 4 votes from France for bringing them back in the game, and 4 votes from Diplomats in other cities. Think I had 52 votes (needing 43) just to be safe in case of last turn coups.

I just had a boatload of gold from selling all my mined luxes given all the cultural CS had pearls or gems anyway. That seemed to snowball through the game where I was always the GNP leader.

My timing was whacked anyway because I went Liberty -> Tradition -> Liberty to play the fun free Wat game. The only other SP I finished other than Liberty was Rationalism and 6 in Freedom. I ended up with a silly number of SPs at the end as I had 300+ culture for the last 100 turns or so, doubled by winning World's Fair and then additional from a long Golden Age. So I'd say the bonuses really helped.

They also freed up all of my cargo ships for gold/science leech (early) because the Maritimes gave so much food. I never used an internal trade route, so that was an additional 15-20 gpt the whole game.

- In hindsight, did the Archipelago map play a significant role in strategy?

Just some tactics: no worker steal, so hard-built the first one before libs free ones (and Pyramids eventually). Compensated by only building one scout instead of two. Obviously broke up the normal science beelines for naval techs, but stole Navigation which helped and got to Electronics a lot earlier than normal. Once I had battleships, people got a lot more friendly. :)

After I waxed Alex in 103 turns, I thought I was going for Maria Theresa next, but she stayed peaceful with me and was a willing trade partner. I made sure to sell her stuff all game to keep her gold down, and she only ever got one allied CS which I bought off of her shortly thereafter to prevent the diplo marriage. Thus, my warring with Austria never came to fruition.

There was one point where I thought I'd be at war with everyone, but it never matierialized especially after I liberated Ur from Attila.

So in the end, less war than I planned (which was why I went Liberty in the first place).

I thought the island was a pain with no coal, little iron, little aluminum, and no oil. There were good luxes, and the coal/oil thing became less of an issue once the CSes got theirs. Interesting balance of the luxuries with the CS. Seemed like the map maker purposely gave all the cultural CS luxes that were already available, so it made you pick and choose your initial alliances more carefully, especially after everyone voted to ban four individual luxuries in the first two World Congress votes! Pains in the butt.

Biggest mistake was that I screwed up my Oxford timing and ended up kind of wasting it instead of using it for Radio (and thus ensuring first Ideology) like I planned. Just didn't pay attention to the last turn or two of production and screwed the pooch... would've had the two free policies plus another well-timed policy, but lost track of the last turn. Dumb! But I had such a big tech lead by then it didn't matter much, and I got the Rat finisher to get into Info Era early enough to not have to wait long for a UN vote.

That was my fastest Immortal victory ever, I think maybe my first one under 300 turns. Good game!

Top Bottom