TSG130 Opening Actions

Oops! Thanks for pointing that out! I don't think it is too late for me, but obviously I would have been better off with full Patronage rather than full Aesthetics!

I was first to Ideologies and going Freedom of course.

I doubt it messed you up too bad, plus you can always go back for patronage with all of that extra culture!

- Did you start this with a specific diplomacy plan? War or peace?
No plan, but as soon as I see Alex on same island, total peace wasn't possible and there will certainly be wars.

- How many neighbors have you met? And who?
As of 100, only Alex, Liz, GW, Maria.

- Any early wars or have you remained peaceful so far?
Early archer war to eliminate Alex who was stuck on the same island, and he only had 1 city since I stole all his settlers. Slight problem as Liz got to my expo's culture border and she saw the massacre. Will see if it is a problem or it's easier to just rush AI's with frigates.

- Did you get a religion? If so, which tenets?
Salt pantheon, leads to religion with mosque. Missed out on pagodas by 2-3 turns.

- Describe your social policy choices.
Wanted to test the free Wat trick, and combined with need for early rush, went for liberty/tradition hybrid approach. Liberty left side, free worker, then tradition. Should be able to get free culture buildings before Education. I had enough production for 4 cities plus archers before I took Athens.

I doubt it messed you up too bad, plus you can always go back for patronage with all of that extra culture!
I filled out Commerce before opening Patronage (and I thought about opening Exploration instead). Patronage loses a lot of its luster if you do not start it early. Extra gold from Commerce and the ability to get 20 influence from 160 gold by gifting Landsknechts is a good deal.

My game is not fast, but the AI are not competing at all.

Sorry these screenshots are a little late for this thread (turn 121), but I forgot to make earlier saves.

As many others probably did, I settled one tile to the east, on the hill. Definitely worth the lost turn: you get to work a salt immediately, access to two additional salts (and a bison too) within your 3-tile radius, extra hammer from settling on the hill.

I wanted to use the Legalism for Wats trick. I don't really think that this is optimal, and I just may not have the earliest victories for this reason, but I've never done it before so I went with it anyway.

I rarely build scouts on Archipelago maps, but once I saw Alex on my island, I built a scout right after my monument, canceling my worker. Knowing that I needed a diplo victory, I knew I had to slow down or kill Alex, so I figured I'd start with a worker steal. That never came to fruition (he protected them well), but the scout was not in vain. He had a much better use in fact. Between him and my initial warrior, I was able to zone out Alex's settler and keep him from settling near the mountain, which was by far the best site for the second city. I just used the two units plus the mountains to keep him out of the area where Si Satchanalai is now. He built his settler VERY early, and this zoning bought me maybe 15 turns. He then built a second settler, embarked it to get around my army, but my settler got there about 2 turns ahead of his.

I plopped down Si Satchanalai and laughed at his face when he got upset with me for settling too close to him. :) Then I saved up a few coins and bought two tiles, which scored me the silver that was only two tiles from Athens. He objected to my buying tiles, and I laughed in his face again. :) (Actually, I apologized both times, so more like I laughed behind his back.)

Since he already had two settlers, he basically settled the rest of the island, but I already had the best spot: coastal, mountain, THREE UNIQUE luxes, 2 fish, bananas, and jungle. (The jungle is worth keeping since this city is going to have an observatory.)

Spoiler :

The problem though was that with all the room taken, I had to find new spots for my 3rd and 4th cities. I decided on #3 as soon as I spotted Mt. Fuji next to more salt directly to my east. But #4 was a difficult decision. At first I had decided on a spot east of Kiev, on a hill with 4 fish and 2 copper, but there was very little food there other than the fish. (Granted, 4 fish is a lot of food.) I also feared it might be hard to defend, and would be too close to the Dutch. With a little more exploration from my archer (who almost died to barbarians but just barely survived long enough for me to see the location and change my mind), I discovered a new spot with 3 fish, 1 copper, 1 silk, iron, wheat, and stone. Perfect!

Spoiler :

My indecision on city #4's location cost me a few turns on my National College. I had to rush buy two libraries, and it wasn't built until after turn 100. Quite slow, but I hoped to regain those turns with the Legalism Wat trick.

I planned on peace.

All of them.

Was worried about Alex after I forward settled him and bought tiles in front of Athens, especially when he would only offer 6 GPT for my luxes. But he hasn't DoWed me yet. I got DoFs from Maria Theresa and William.

Founded Catholicism first, using Earth Mother for 4 early faith from each of my salts. My 3rd city also has salt, and my 4th will have iron and copper, so it'll be very useful. My other beliefs were Tithes, Mosques, Pagodas, and Itinerant Preachers. (On archipelago maps, where cities are farther apart, I find itinerant preachers more powerful than religious texts.)

Regarding the Wat trick, my plan was to open Tradition but stop before Legalism, then open Patronage up to Consulates. I was going to need that later anyway, might as well open it early. Unfortunately, an early culture ruin actually gave me too MUCH culture growth. I hadn't gotten to optics yet (need Classical Era for Patronage) when I had to open Piety. I went to Consulates, then slowed down my culture (stopped working my writer's guild) so that the next SP would be 1 turn after Education. I also had to save up enough money to buy my last two Amphitheatres. The screenshots above were just before getting my 4 free wats. :)

fyar, i tried opening your spoiler tags to see your pics but nothing showed up. just fyi if you want to try to upload them again.

HR

Some early game comments:

Peace! And then I met Alex, and promptly shifted to a war footing and archer rushed him.

I had met William, Maria and Washington as of T84ish (I stopped taking detailed notes at that point). I met all four of them after eliminating Alex.

I eliminated Alex on turn 56.

As of early game, I had not gotten a religion, but then again neither had any AI.

Goal was to do Tradition - the capital spot was amazing - and I finished at T84 and then opened Patronage.

Random Data:
T1 Found Sukhothai on hill
T3 Ruin / Maps
T4 Discover Barringer Crater
T5 Ruin / Culture
T6 Meet Alex, open Tradition
T9 Ruin / Archery
T27 Declare war on Alex
T28 Take Alex's Settler
T29 Legalism
T30ish Make peace for Gold
T44 Monarchy
T49 Re-declare war, take another Settler
T53 Meet Monaco
T56 Kill Alex! Meet Maria
T57 Meet Genoa, kill some barbarian ships nearby
T58 The Archer Army embarks massively
T60 Meet Washington
T64 Meet Ife
T65 Meet Kiev, meet William
T67 Meet Ur
T68 Meet Milan
T72 Meet Mogadishu
T74 Meet Kyzl
T75 Meet Kongo
T79 Meet Vatican
T84 Oracle / finish Tradition

Capital: Worker, Archer, Start Shrine, Settler (Chop), Finish Shrine, Granary, Archerx5, Trireme

Techs: Mining, Archery (Ruin), Pottery, Sailing, AH, Bronze Working, Masonry, Optics, Writing

Policies: Tradition opener, Oligarchy, Legalism, Monarchy, Landed Elite, finished.

fyar, i tried opening your spoiler tags to see your pics but nothing showed up. just fyi if you want to try to upload them again.

HR

That's curious. They're showing up on my browser just fine.
Here's the direct link to both: do you see them when you go directly to their locations?
http://s10.postimg.org/4gp4p8llk/Screen_Shot_2016_03_09_at_1_45_36_PM.jpg
http://s23.postimg.org/d1wxeoka2/Screen_Shot_2016_03_09_at_2_01_43_PM.jpg

Can anybody second Hammer Rabbi's issues?

I cannot see them either. But can see them when I go direct by your links above?
The photo site url looks different when I click on your direct links? :crazyeye:

Did some experimenting but couldn't make it work. :hmm:
:dunno:

I'm honestly at a loss to explain what went wrong with the screenshots, then. They appear just fine when I'm looking at this thread. I did have to edit the post because I screwed it up the first time, but after editing it, the images show up just fine. How about if I try again in a fresh post?

Spoiler :

I cannot see them either. But can see them when I go direct by your links above?
The photo site url looks different when I click on your direct links? :crazyeye:

Did some experimenting but couldn't make it work. :hmm:
:dunno:

could the file size be too big? seems rare based on some enormous files i've seen uploaded, but still. also, are there any Mac image posting conflicts with the forums? (not a Mac user.)

im still not seeing them in spoilers but the links were fine. thanks for adding them, fyar. i like that you settled some cities off the starting island.

Sorry guys, I'm not sure why they aren't working for you. The images are pretty large (4 MB) but even if the forum didn't like large files that still wouldn't explain why it's showing up on my screen in the spoiler tags but not yours. How bizarre.

In any case, you're very welcome, Hammer Rabbi. I was surprised that others would not do the same (settling cities off the island) considering how much of the space Alex took. But I suppose most players here just changed their plans for war as soon as they saw Alex's smug face. I don't blame them, but in my other game I'm playing right now it's all war so I wanted to try for peace in this one.

Is there a preferred image hosting site? Maybe I could try a different site to host.

Is there a preferred image hosting site? Maybe I could try a different site to host.
No, not really. I do not understand it either? Using firefox.

What browser do you use?

I'm on chrome. Maybe I'll try photobucket next time.

I was thinking of trying to prove that it worked fine on my browser, in case you all thought I was doing it wrong. My idea was to have the image showing properly in the spoiler on my browser, take a screenshot of my browser, and then post that image. Then I realized how paradoxical this idea was! :lol:

Why not just upload the photos rather than link to them elsewhere?

up thread he already had uploaded them and put them in spoilers but nothing showed when we (leif or I) clicked the spoilers, which started this conversation.

peace to concentrate on GPT for City state diplomacy

All but 2. I can still only see about 50% of the map

Dow from Austria. CBs, walls and Tradition made light work of defence although I did lose a number of cargo ships

Didn't bother with religion

Liberty start, left side to get free settler with no freeze on growth for capital, blocked greece settler from getting the prime 2nd city location at the top with the diamonds and gold. Then full Tradition.

As the pic shows, I chose to take the warmongerer penalty for wiping out the greeks, rather than keeping an annoyed Alexander there in a desert city to annoy me for the rest of the game.

Time will show if the other civs can forgive me.

Good work on getting rid of Alexander in first 100 turns, I kinda wish I had done the same. Whenever I have him as a neighbour he always backstabs me. Although can sometimes be useful for some good GPT peace treaties once you have destroyed his army. I see he has quite a large army now so expecting a DoW shortly.

No plan in particular. I normally play peacefully, so that was the default plan.

5 total so far. Greece, America, England, Austria, Huns

My first war with Greece broke out around turn 25, as he was trying to settle a city I didn't want him to have. I killed his warrior and stole the settler on turn 29.

I remained at war with Greece, but he was still able to settle the city using a second settler. We made peace after that.

I had a second war with Greece where I strove to eliminate them from my island. I was successful after the loss of many triremes. However, I didn't kill them completely, as they settled a city off the island before I could take Athens. I decided to take peace after having taken both Sparta and Athens, and having secured the whole island for myself.

Yes, first pantheon (Earth Mother for salt faith), and first religion for Tithe and Pagodas.

I have filled Tradition completely. Plan to start patronage (haven't yet), before going normal rationalism game.

Overall, I'm having a terrible game. I won't reach education for another 20 turns at least, and only just completed National college. Luckily before turn 100, but still bad.

I've attached a pic of my completed secured island as of turn 100. If you haven't discovered all of my listed neighbors, I'd advise not viewing.
Spoiler :
TSG_130_Turn100_Home Island.jpg

Top Bottom