TSG171 AAR

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG171 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.
Please attach your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.) In your post.
- How useful was your UA?
- Did you use spying to your advantage?
- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?
- What techs did you prioritize ?

From Beetle:
I am still not find an AAR thread, so I am posting my details. Under game status, I read “Time Wrong”, LOL. That should have been read as as “Time VC, but not the VC designated”. But, of course, with a 250 turn limit, Diplomatic VC is almost certainly impossible. If I think of any interesting commentary, I use spoiler tags for that. My recollection was that I just SIP and turtled, and did end up a the top of the leader board.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 171
Date submitted: 2018-06-17
Reference number: 36011
Your name: beetle
Game status: Time Wrong VC
Game date: 1700AD
Turns played: 250
Base score: 1104
Final score: 1104

I played this one before the 250 turn limit was revealed. :mad: It was quite a shock when it said I had been defeated. (later I played it again knowing what the rules were, and I'm pretty sure diplomatic victory in 250 turns is impossible) Anyway, at turn 250 it was starting to get interesting so I 'just one more turn'd. The only victory condition still possible was domination, which takes a while on a large map:

Date submitted: 2018-06-04 02:51:50
Reference number: 35996
Your name: zxcvbob
Game status: Domination Wrong VC
Game date: 2010AD
Turns played: 430
Base score: 2310
Final score: 1343

I think my social policies were (it was a long time ago): mixed Honor and Tradition until both were filled, Patronage, Rationalism, Commerce, and my ideology was Freedom. There was a world leader vote coming up just a few turns after I won, and I had 60 votes (44 necessary to win) because I liberated 4 dead civs. I crippled Babylon, leaving them one pitiful city and zero military. The Celts finished off Babylon, and we all denounced Boudica and then I declared war -- I liberated that Babylonian city (which was tough to do because its population was pretty low and Boudica was razing it) then defeated the Celts but left her 1 or 2 pitiful cities. I don't remember who finished them off, but I liberated them too. And 2 civs that Shaka (I think it was Shaka) had conquered.

The elephants were great for trampling barbarians and Babylon.

Last edited:
Date submitted: 2018-06-09 17:22:23
Reference number: 35999
Your name: letsgobucs
Game status: Diplomacy Victory
Game date: 1645AD
Turns played: 239
Base score: 1059
Final score: 1114

I did a few practice random maps with this setup, because I knew with the 250 timing it would take some practice to get the timing right.

The UA is great especially for culture. religeon and growth (key for teching fast enough)

spying was not needed I think I may have got optics. On the other hand I was being spied so much my new spies would level a few turns after they were placed in my capital.

the map helps because you started surrounding by 6 city states on your direct border and being a larger map the tribute range is increase to farm early gold from tribute to get your empire rolling.

being prince you get little tech bonus from other civs having the tech. also being prince a 2nd warrior built or spearman from a ruin allows you start extractring tribute. I can't stress how much you need to do this to get your empire rolling. Also being prince you have to build your first worker or two.

went full tradition splashed some in patronage, then 5/6 rationalism (saving the RA for last (RAs are useless you're so far ahead by medival) 3 freedom for Universal sufferage mostly for the GA benefit, I think order might have been better) then filled out patronage and rationalism (oxforded/rationalism finisisher to hit modern then used faith for scientists for globalism I think.

tech was Philo - Edu -printing press (leave with one turn. You have to absolutely control when the world congress is founded and that's the key. either you have to do it just before turn ~144 (almost impossible but I'm sure somone can do it, or delay to turn 175 to get a WL vote on turn 249. I think in my victory I founded it around 165 because I had a good feeling I could get the tech modern in time. next sci theory -> plastics->globalization.

again I can't stress enough the timing of WC is the key. you need to win the first vote so plan it out. I think I hit modern on turn 225ish

some other points. Tribute early and often (obviously stop around turn 200) I think I extracted over 3K gold from mogadishu alone. And since you want to tribute build warrior line troops and avoid the archer line troops. Having kilamanjaro near helped movement of scouts early. Also, trade posts everything with your worker army. and go right side rationalism over left. Save all your GS til after plastics for bulb push. I think I went from plastics to globalism in 25 turns with 8+ scientists. trades routes internal initially for growth then about turn 200 out to the city states in the mid game keep some units spread out over the map to 1 extract tribute and 2 do the barb quests.
avoid chasing the early wonders. I think oracle was my first wonder, but after that I had my pick of anything.

Game date: 1645AD
Turns played: 239
… I did a few practice random maps with this setup, because I knew with the 250 timing it would take some practice to get the timing right.
Wow! Nice job getting a Diplo VC that quick!

Date submitted: 2018-06-20 02:26:18
Reference number: 36014
Your name: cyu291
Game date: 1635AD
Turns played: 237
Base score: 1124
Final score: 1195

How useful was your UA?
Very useful of course because I had plenty of CS allies and not much competition from prince AIs

Did you use spying to your advantage?
I put all my spies in CS I wanted to retain and then diplomats at the end

Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
I didn't get to meet all CS because the map was so large and I built units early instead of scouts. My units went around tributing and killing barbs next to CS so exploration was a bit difficult. Fortunately I met about 16 or so, just enough votes for the diplo win

How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
I mainly ignored the AI and didn't rush wonders until quite late. I went for mausoleum and temple of artemis after I got my NC up, but lost by a few turns. The difficulty level helped with getting tribute and religion. I stole babylon's settler and when they offered peace, they also gave me akkad, though its location was pretty terrible

What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?
Tradition 5, patronage opener, commerce 3, rationalism once in renaissance, commerce 5, freedom 6 (for CS trade route influence), patronage 2

What techs did you prioritize ?
Civil service, guilds, education, accoustics, astronomy, economics, scientific theory, radio, plastics, globalization, satellites. I started bulbing several turns after buying labs in my 2 best cities. Realized I had too much science so didn't bother buying labs in my other 3 cities

--

Initial build was warrior, scout, then shrine for sacred path pantheon. SIP, 2nd city settled on gems NW of capital using gold purchased settler from early tributing and ruins gold. 3rd city was for salt, 4th was on cocoa. Didn't meet any religious CS until late so religion was very slow and I went pagodas which was a mistake. Most of my workers were captured from barbs, with one from babylon when I dowed for his unprotected settler.

Sent food caravans to capital and trading posted all the jungles and grassland for the expands. Production was awful so didn't build many wonders besides orcale, chichen itza, notre dame, machu picchu, forbidden palace, statue of liberty and then leaning tower towards the end. Mainly bought science buildings, hard building markets and banks.

Rushed to get into info era asap (telecommunications) with bulbs. Pretty mechanical game, mostly about getting jungle trading posts up (15 turns), fulfilling quests, saving gold for science buildings and working scientist and GWAM slots. Happiness was close to zero most of the game so I feel 5 cities was just right. I used arsenal of democracy late game to gift all the CS units I had been getting, for +20 influence. Also sent caravans to CS for +4 influence after getting tier 3 freedom policy. Probably could have got victory sooner if I bulbed earlier as I had spare faith and scientist points at the point I got to globalization

Attachments

• 20180620024339_1.jpg
    20180620024339_1.jpg
    810.9 KB · Views: 116
That's interesting that you abuse the hell out of the CS's in the early and mid-game. I'm always nice to them the whole game when going for diplomatic victory. (I don't play diplo very often; I usually disable it) So I've been trying it. Turns out, they are not intimidated by warriors (maybe a whole gaggle of them) unless I have at least one spear. If I get a unit upgrade on my starting warrior I can start bullying them immediately. Otherwise, I need to beeline Bronze Working right after Pottery (or maybe Writing) and build a couple of spearmen very early. The extra cash is very handy; might be more important than getting a library up quickly in the capitol.

Do y'all build a monument at all, or wait for the free one? Or does that depend on whether you get a +20 culture ruin?

In my game i didn't get culture ruins nor did I build a monument. 2 warriors are able to get tribute from flatland city states, so focus on them. Chances are eventually that a warrior gets upgraded. Try to ally militaristic cs and then you can get even more units to get tribute while you are building your settlers and workers and libraries

Game status: Time Wrong VC
Game date: 1700AD
Turns played: 250
Final score: 924

- How useful was your UA?
Very useful, since the beginning of the game the CityStates were allied, eliminating barbarian camps and returning workers.

- Did you use spying to your advantage?
Yes, to make more Citystates allied

- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
Make it easy to contact all Civs and becoming host of the World Congress.

- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
Wonders was prioritized since the start of the game

- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?
Started open Tradition and I was alternating the polices as the game progressed.

- What techs did you prioritize?
Run for Education, then Radio.

Game date: 1525AD
Turns played: 215
Base score: 1425
Final score: 1656

7-city Tradition opener -> Liberty -> Aristocracy -> Rationalism and eventually full Patronage as well. Took a Great Scientist as my Liberty finisher and planted an academy. I also generated a natural GE with the points from ToA, Pyramids and Great Wall (so many CSs asked for that one I couldn't resist). Used that GE to one-turn Notre Dame as I had some happiness issues at the time. Education ~t117, NC probably around t130, Printing Press ~t170 after getting every possible detour tech except Fertilizer.

Didn't know what pantheon to go for here, so I took happiness from settling on rivers. Religion was +15% production, +1 food from shrines and temples and +50 faith per GP. Boudicca was kind enough to provide a 4-charge prophet for me to enhance religion. :)

I should've probably captured Babylon at some point, but most of my units were preventing barb camps from spawning near my borders.

Attachments

• 20180622195810_1.jpg
    20180622195810_1.jpg
    598.6 KB · Views: 282
Even with the time limit, I am lacking the time to finish this one. I am impressed that you managed to get a diplo victory in time.

Well done!

Top Bottom