TSG27 Game in Progress

All was going well until turn 60.
4 cities, 2 wars 4 spearmens (didn't research archery...)

Germany DoW... (maybe I traded too much with Iroquois)

Turn 63 Chinees DoW followed on turn 64 by Arabia... :(

I'm surprised I lasted up 'till turn 100...
:wavey: Welcome to CivFanatics and Game of the Month.

:eek: You pick a heck of a game to start your journey.

Good Luck in future. :thumbsup:

I noticed :)

In retrospec, I was a bit too aggressive on the city spots I chose. I was damn too near Arabia (i wanted that marble...) and settling so close to Germany was an open invitation for disaster to come to me.

The DoW were to be expected as the Iroquois were at war with almost everyone but me and Indians... Trading with Bismark might have been better... Maybe I'll try again. Going for the GOTM #28.

Sadly, I had to give up this game at turn 122 because the waiting time between turns grew too long, animations got stuck halfway, etc. We had just built Sistine Chapel and were doing fine, after helping the Iroquois liberate Osininka. :sad:

Sadly, I had to give up this game at turn 122 because the waiting time between turns grew too long, animations got stuck halfway, etc. We had just built Sistine Chapel and were doing fine, after helping the Iroquois liberate Osininka. :sad:

How's that? Average computer? Get rid of animations! Finish the game plz!!! :)

I feel sorry for you.

yeah, Ribannah, i hate hearing that turn times kill that game. my games are killed by being terrible at it, haha. there is a way to disable combat animations from the TSG main article. you just have to go into the .config file and set it to '0' (or something like that).

lost Orleans (Gold city) to Arab onslaught of Trebs, swords, xbows.
Germany swarming now too with rifles and cannons (plus CS support), and I'm still 11 turns away from Gunpowder.
Time to resign, but I don't see how to retire/resign in Civ5.
Is there a way to do that?

i wish i knew of a way. how many times you conceded/forfeited would be an interesting stat to keep track of.

mostly i resort to a ragequit -> delete all the files to block that effort from memory, haha. can be an angering game. i have blood pressure to keep an eye on. :lol:

i wish i knew of a way. how many times you conceded/forfeited would be an interesting stat to keep track of.
I'll put it on the list for the Mod we'll need to make, if the .dll file ever gets released... :mischief:

might make another Steam Achievement: "Take the wife and kids, leave me alone..." You have surrendered the game without losing to one of the Victory Conditions. :lol:

I hope you will get to finish, i was really hoping to see how your approach would fare. Looks like it was working if you were helping in oofensive/liberation wars :cool:

I'm a little late to the party on this one, but I've never won a cultural victory on deity, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I think the reason cultural victories are difficult is that we need to farm great artists, which means we can't farm great scientists, which makes it difficult to keep up in tech. But we really need to get to telegraph, radio and mass media in a reasonable timeframe to build the Cristo Redentor, broadcast towers and Sydney Opera House. In addition, we'll have difficulty defending ourselves if we fall behind in tech. Research agreements will obviously be key, but to leverage research agreements, we'll also need some raw science to get a reasonable median. I decided that on deity I couldn't ignore just ignore science, so I'd assign one of my cities as a science city, and farm a couple of great scientists in order to bulb key techs.

Before I started, the first question I asked myself was whether or not to build Stonehenge? Stonehenge speeds us through the first few policies, but for a cultural victory we only really care about the time until we can take the *last* policy, but Stonehenge's 6 cpt is going to be negligible by the end of the game. However, because Stonehenge is active for a long time (250 turns, say), it will still make a pretty significant contribution to aggregate culture (about 1500 raw culture, some of which will benefit from multipliers), which is what we're really interested in. Moreover, if we can take certain policies earlier (reformation and the freedom and piety finishers), that will give us a significant boost to cpt. However, I think Stonehenge is less crucial than the Oracle, so I decided not to build it, because I didn't want to detour to Calendar and risk missing out on the Oracle.

My plan was to build 4 cities (to take advantage of legalism), and build a world wonder in each (to take advantage of reformation). I would build the Oracle in my first city, and Hagia Sophia in the second. I would take a Great Engineer from each of HS and the Liberty finisher, and use those to rush build wonders in my two other cities. At this point my plan went astray, because I forgot about the Sistine Chapel (it's been a while since I last did a cultural victory) and planned to build the Porcelain Tower and Notre Dame (force of habit), in my third and fourth cities respectively. PT I think is correct, because of the research problem I mentioned earlier, but ND was unnecessary, and I ought to have rushed SC instead, using a GS to bulb acoustics.

So that was the plan. What actually happened was a little different. I got calendar from a ruin on turn 15, so I decided to build Stonehenge after all, and I got it up on turn 40. I then put up a library quickly (so I could build NC in my second city) and started on the Oracle, which I built around turn 65 - that was a few turns later than I would have liked, but it was ok.

In the mean time, I'd lost my warrior: there was a barbarian encampment next to a ruin, and a German scout nearby, and I knew if I waited to heal my warrior, the scout would snaffle the ruin, so I took a chance, and the warrior died. It only revealed a bit of map, so it wasn't worth it, but it could have been something good. I then sent the free settler from Collective Rule to the south to found a city where there was lots of wheat and hills - I wanted to build HS in this city, so I needed to grow quickly and have lots of production. Unfortunately, the settler got swiped by the barbarian. I rush bought a warrior, and happily got the settler back the next turn, so it was less of a disaster than I'd feared.

Around turn 40 Bismarck declared war - no surprise there. (My scout got trapped between a barbarian archer and a German archer and died, which caused me a problem later on, because I still haven't met one civ, and I need them as a trading partner.) I'd finished Philosophy by this point, so I teched archery, and bought a couple of archers, who fought off the initial attack with no difficulty.

Unfortunately, I'd neglected to build settlers (with building Stonehenge and the Oracle), and I was rapidly running out of space at this point. Also, I'd not scouted enough - when I built the settler, I'd no idea where to put him. So I built another scout and took a look down south, and I found a coastal spot which looked ok - I need a coastal city to build Sydney Opera House. I'm too hemmed in to build a fourth city, so I decided to run with three. There's a German city in a spot I'd quite like, but it was far too strong for me to capture with swords, plus it can only be attacked from two sides.

I built Hagia Sophia in pretty good time - around turn 100, and put up PT and ND as planned. However around this time I ran into problems with my economy - I'd got lots of luxuries, but no one would buy them. I run negative gold for quite some time, despite the hit to my research. I'm chaining research agreements with Hiawatha, Suleiman and Harun. Ramkhamhaeng declared war on me, although he's fighting it in a very lacklustre way. Something went seriously wrong for Wu, because she was stuck on 0 gold and negative gpt for a long time. I built markets and mints and the national treasury to fix my economy. In the mean time Wu recovered some how (I was expecting her to have been eliminated by this point), and I sold her some of my luxuries, so now I have a solid gold position.

Unfortunately (but unsurprisingly) the Germans are continuing to attack with waves of ever more advanced troops (the Siamese are still nowhere to be seen). Around turn 160 somebody got to industrial, while I was still in medieval, which was worrying.

It's now around turn 180, and I'm in real trouble. I've bulbed rifling, which is pretty desperate in a cultural game, but I really need better troops to fight off the Germans. They're attacking with infantry and cavalry, which I can probably see off, but it's only a matter of time before they bring up artillery, and I'm going to have a real problem.

now that this thread has been un-stickied im chucking re-running the game :)

it beat me but it feels good.

I meant to say, the other big question for me for a cultural win, is whether or not to take rationalism? The boost to research of taking it is pretty large (2 free policies, plus a quarter of a policy per RA), but the disadvantage is that the culture boosting policies in piety will be inactive for most of the game. I decided to skip it, but that may well have been the wrong decision.

I've finished Liberty, and I'll finish Tradition with my next policy. Then I'll finish Piety and go straight down Freedom, in the unlikely event I can stay in the game for that long.

I'm having a go as a OCC cultural victory. It's going ok for the moment, but I have a feeling it may end badly.

Turn 54 currently.

Here's what happened:

- Moved the warrior two south on the hill, saw a sheep, deer, sheep, to the south, decided to settle on furs to get the sheep, deer, sheep in three tile radius.

Build Order:

Scout -> Worker -> Granary -> Library -> (currently) The Oracle

Tech Order:

Pottery -> Writing -> Philosophy -> Trapping -> Archery -> Mining -> (currently Bronze Working)

I've also been lucky enough to pop Animal Husbandry and Calendar from huts.

I got my warrior upgraded by a hut to a spearman, it did a short loop starting to head south west, around the mountains north and then back south east to the capital to defend against barbarians. It then had to use one promotion to instant heal, later I also purchased an archer immediately after researching Archery (while I'm busy building The Oracle).

Also, a few turns ago I saw a barbarian worker wandering unaccompanied towards my territory. I grabbed it so now I've got two workers.

My scout is started of going south east, it is now far east with the Indians. It also very recently found a surprise unpopped hut and got upgraded to an archer (with scout movement, which may come in handy).

With policy I've gone Tradition only, Legalism firstly for a free monument, then Landed Elite for extra capital food. I then went the +15% wonder building one.

I'm 6 turns from building The Oracle, and about the same amount away from the next policy, so that should complete the tradition tree. I'm planning to go Piety next.

Any advice would be appreciated, and I've also got a few questions:

(1) When should I sign research agreements? I've got over 500 gold at the moment (significantly from one-way open borders agreements) but I'm hesitant about signing research agreements until the median tech cost goes up, so I get better bang for my buck. When would be the best time for research agreements?
(2) I'll eventually get a Great Scientist from the Oracle, but what should I do with them?
(3) Is it worth dealing with city states? Perhaps only cultural ones (per city food isn't much good)? Or should I save money for research agreements?
(4) I feel like I'm going to need rationalism at some point so I don't get too far behind in Science, but it conflicts with Piety. How should I manage this?
(5) Any other tips?

I'm having a go as a OCC cultural victory. It's going ok for the moment, but I have a feeling it may end badly.

Turn 54 currently.

Here's what happened:

- Moved the warrior two south on the hill, saw a sheep, deer, sheep, to the south, decided to settle on furs to get the sheep, deer, sheep in three tile radius.

Build Order:

Scout -> Worker -> Granary -> Library -> (currently) The Oracle

Tech Order:

Pottery -> Writing -> Philosophy -> Trapping -> Archery -> Mining -> (currently Bronze Working)

I've also been lucky enough to pop Animal Husbandry and Calendar from huts.

I got my warrior upgraded by a hut to a spearman, it did a short loop starting to head south west, around the mountains north and then back south east to the capital to defend against barbarians. It then had to use one promotion to instant heal, later I also purchased an archer immediately after researching Archery (while I'm busy building The Oracle).

Also, a few turns ago I saw a barbarian worker wandering unaccompanied towards my territory. I grabbed it so now I've got two workers.

My scout is started of going south east, it is now far east with the Indians. It also very recently found a surprise unpopped hut and got upgraded to an archer (with scout movement, which may come in handy).

With policy I've gone Tradition only, Legalism firstly for a free monument, then Landed Elite for extra capital food. I then went the +15% wonder building one.

I'm 6 turns from building The Oracle, and about the same amount away from the next policy, so that should complete the tradition tree. I'm planning to go Piety next.

Any advice would be appreciated, and I've also got a few questions:

(1) When should I sign research agreements? I've got over 500 gold at the moment (significantly from one-way open borders agreements) but I'm hesitant about signing research agreements until the median tech cost goes up, so I get better bang for my buck. When would be the best time for research agreements?
(2) I'll eventually get a Great Scientist from the Oracle, but what should I do with them?
(3) Is it worth dealing with city states? Perhaps only cultural ones (per city food isn't much good)? Or should I save money for research agreements?
(4) I feel like I'm going to need rationalism at some point so I don't get too far behind in Science, but it conflicts with Piety. How should I manage this?
(5) Any other tips?

I'm afraid you are going to be waxed very soon. I'm still having nightmares from this GoTM. :lol: I managed to get the Oracle, Colossus, HS, GE-rushed PT, GE-rushed Sistine, ND and Hermitage fairly early with a 4 city setup. Lost steam when Sully nuked his way through Arabia then me and took a couple of my cities for peace. Eventually lost by science.

With 1 city, you are going to have problems with production (for both wonders and military), science output and gold. I'm pessimistic for you, but I'll answer your questions:

1) I would wait on the RAs until you know you are going to have the PT completed. I assume you'd go Piety and not rationalism - not sure what Dave did, but his videos are available for this one and he actually won the game :bowdown: so you might check.

2) Don't get a GS from the Oracle. Get a GE and use it for PT or Sistine.

3) I wouldn't think you would have the money to spare on CS - I would prioritize RAs.

4) Good question. I've done the RA-opener and switched back to Piety after reaching all the high-level culture techs. It seems to work ok. In this game I did strictly Piety and was never that behind in military tech. Until the Nukes came rolling in that is.

5) You probably need(ed) to expand more to keep up in this one. Your OCC is in this middle of a Pangea that several civs can and will get to. Germany will probably be kicking in your door with 10 LKs within 20 turns. :(

This got less fun quite quickly after this post.

Germany declared, but didn't really bother me, I sued for peace soon after.

But then the Iroquois came from the north, they reduced me to one archer in the capital before again suing for peace.

I might continue to play this game occasionally a few dozen turns at a time.

My experience currently:

(1) The AI hasn't pillaged anything. They focus on the city.
(2) It's really obvious when the AI is going to declare war, when a bunch of troops show up marching towards your borders. You can sell a whole lot of gpt and all your resources to the AI at this point for cash, they'll tend to attack anyway. Then you can use that money to sue for peace.

What I would suggest is if you have a few spare worker turns, build some trading posts. This will increase your possible GPT. This means you can switch to these to trade more GPT for cash when the AI attackes.

Also, I'm getting the feeling it's not really worth it building up much of an army, it's going to get smashed up early anyway. Probably worth it just to keep a ranged unit in the capital, and do your best to withstand the assault until they're happy to talk about peace. Save all your money to bribe them to go away.

I'll put some updates on here if I keep playing this.

Top Bottom