TSG70 Opening Actions thread

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Oct 1, 2013.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Some did. As you have finished the game, please see the After Action thread to see how others did and how they did it. :)

2. Maxym

Maxym King

As Leif said, some did.

I don't like Assyria when he gets to spam so many units and towers either, but you can deal with him. Have you tried to get him to war someone else? And early too before he commits to invading you, if that won't work, try denouncement, it won't stop him but might slow him down a bit.

Otherwise just block his access to ur cities, I made the mistake of not having enough melee shields and CBs alone are not enough. Spears will work best here. if you can keep the towers away you can work on the rest of his troops. Once he loses the army towers are sitting ducks and he is ripe for conquest. I did not fare well against him either, losing Krakow twice in similar spot. But I was too light on melee, and not enough spears.

You are buildng an Oracle as he is ripping you a new one, and have no army to speak of. You were bound to be his target, try a 6 archer army ready to upgrade to CB, 3-4 spears and wait for his attack. If he wont attack, take the fight to him, forget wonders, libraries etc. Just kill him.

3. Blicero

Blicero Warlord

In my game I got into a 100+ turn war with Assria due to his constant unit spam, and wasn't able to break it until artillery. And it was only caused (I believe) by me not realising that a siege tower can take a city. So he re-took the first city I took with CBs and it went downhill from there.

4. Arilian

Arilian King

I paid 14gpt to Assiria when I noticed the first siege tower near my border to attack spain...

Best 420gold spen the whole game :)

5. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Emperor

Yeah, that all seems like good advice! As I said, I was trying out a guide I found in the strategy section, and I knew early on that not building units could be a [HUGE] problem.

This is actually the turn after he declared on me, which is why I was building oracle in the capital (which I deemed important as Poland, but I guess not as important as not getting steamrolled!).
    Some others had mentioned paying him to attack someone else as well, but I don't have much experience with this. As a matter of fact, I have NEVER been able to bribe an AI to attack another AI. Are they more apt to do so on deity? [I play emperor normally] If so, how much is the 'standard' to get someone to declare?

Attacking and taking out another CIV is something I have never attempted so early (I normally wait for artillery to go conquering). It would seem to me that would put me way behind, especially on deity.

Well, I obviously have a LOT to learn on this difficulty. I might brush it off and give it another go, but it almost feels like cheating since I [somewhat] know the map.
    [not for HOF submision, obviously, just for the learning experience.]

6. DrZ

DrZ Warlord

Yes. I did the same thing. Payed him 1 lux and money to attack bizantium.
    Then payed him again after he made peace to attack Indonesia. Then again paid him for bizantium. I also sent him one trade route and after 5-10 turns he started sending me 2 trade routes.
    I read that the AI was programmed to take into consideration the fact that you are trading with them and reconsiders to attack if you do.

So you have plenty of options.

BTW because Maya, Brazil and India where friends all game long i payed maya to attack India and he accepted :). I guess BNW AI needs a little push to go to war.

7. DrZ

DrZ Warlord

In my game it went down turn 50. Fastest Oracle build I've ever saw. Did you played the Liberty/Tradition combination that you described in your thread?

8. kamikazees

kamikazees Warlord

Well, looks like I am struggling like everyone else. I managed to keep Assyria off my back with two trade routes to him. He's neutral with no red modifiers, but he's probably being deceptive. Spain is also marching a huge army my way. Hope she intends to attack Assyria and not me.

I settled in place and went 2 scout, monument, granary, archer. Stole a worker from Assyria early, and built 1 later. Captured 2 from camps, but returned one to ally Riga. Also have Hanoi allied.

I went 4 city liberty/tradition mix. I dropped 3 into liberty just to get the free/cheaper settlers, and am now working on maxing tradition. Not sure that was the best idea. I also got pyramids, but that's the only wonder I have. I'll probably take secularism after that, then move onto Aesthetics.

I finished NC T90, and will finish education T109. Saving to buy 2 universities, hopefully. Otherwise doing okay for now.

Spoiler :

9. Ribannah

Ribannah Fighter Druid

My game was cut short by the fall patch, with too many changes. So we won't go past turn 89.

We are doing quite well, with 8 cities, Scholasticism and all cultural city states allied, four good friends and a religion. Spain tried to conquer Buenos Aires with a massive army but failed miserably, partly because one of our Archers sat on an Argentinian hill. ;)

Currently Assyria is building up forces but they can be bribed to go for Byzantium for two luxuries, which we can easily afford. :mischief:

Science is going fine even without the National College yet and we just might be the first to Archaeology.

Cities
    1 Warsaw=10 (hill east of wheat, Wine, Dyes)
    53 Krakow=5 (coastal hill northeast, 2 Wine)
    59 Lodz=5 (at mountains north, Marble, 2 Wine)
    65 Wroclaw=3 (on Sugar at mountains west, also Copper, Wine)
    69 Poznan=3 (east of Krakow on Mayan coast, Wine)
    74 Gdansk=3 (east of Poznan on Mayan coast, 2 Truffles)
    77 Szczecin=3 (northwest of Lodz on jungle coast, Citrus, Pearls, sharing Ivory)
    84 Bydgoszcz=2 (desert peninsula north of Szczecin, Pearls, sharing Ivory)

Shipping routes are being set up to Poznan, with its many hills and lack of food. ;)

Religion
    39 Goddess of Festivals
    81 Tithe, Religious Community

We were last to get a religion, and Monasteries went long ago even though there's just the one Incense around. This is fine though.

Policies
    12 Tradition
    17 Liberty
    26 Citizenship
    39 Republic
    50 Collective Rule :king:
    59 Patronage (age)
    59 Consulates :goodjob:
    71 Philanthropy
    84 Scholasticism :king:
    89 ? (age)

No culture from 5 ruins (2x survivors though, and gold, Scout to Archer, camps).

Golden Ages
    72-81 (happiness 10)

Warsaw
    Spoiler :
    1 Founded
    6 Monument
    10 Scout
    18 Granary
    23 Shrine
    26 Worker (policy)
    27 Archer
    30 Archer, Worker 310g
    36 Water Mill
    42 Library
    46 Worker
    47 Archer
    49 Archer
    50 Settler (policy)
    53 Worker
    56 Settler
    57 Worker 310g
    59 Settler
    62 Settler
    64 Settler
    67 Settler
    70 Settler
    72 Ducal Stable
    79 PYRAMIDS :goodjob:
    82 Writers' Guild
    86 Circus

Amazing how much other stuff you can build if you don't have to do Great Library (32), Stonehenge (38), Hanging Gardens (50), Parthenon (56), Oracle (84) and the rest. :D

Technology
    Spoiler :
    9 Pottery
    22 Animal Husbandry
    23 Archery
    30 The Wheel
    36 Writing
    44 Mining
    45 Calendar
    48 Bronze Working
    52 Trapping
    59 Horseback Riding
    63 Masonry
    72 Drama and Poetry
    77 Mathematics
    79 Sailing
    85 Currency
    89 Civil Service :king:

10. Maxym

Maxym King

I would think with so many allies you would be ok even after the patch. Very interesting start, I am curious how it would play out.

11. Arilian

Arilian King

Yes, I was also very suprised by this start. Please finish it :)

12. Alphons Rodulfo

Alphons Rodulfo weakling

This game made me realise that I have never actually won a deity game. I have started some, but abandonded them for one reason or another.

It is now turn 235 and I am finally off the lowest rung of the ratings ladder! That place is now held by Theodora, who is about to be crushed between anvil Assyria and hammer Indonesia. In the east, Brazil and India are fighting, probably both of them are after a cultural victory too.

I think my start was OK. I built four cities using the tradition tree. I kept away from liberty this time. Previous games demonstrated it somehow never worked out well. The one thing I think I did well is that I took care not to settle in the vicinity of my neighbours, specifically Assyria. This resulted in me being left alone for a long time, and being friendly with almost everyone. i have had lots of research agreements in the earlier parts of the game.

Things soured after Assyria and the Maya settled in the empty zones around Poland. This was only to be expected and part of the plan. War ensued, but I was able to grab both the Assyrian and the Mayan sattelite city. I have made friends with the Maya but I am still at war with Assyria. And Brazil declared war on me too. I guess that was because I allied too many city states.

My only friend left is India. But it seems it is also my main competitor for the cultural victory. My technology is OK by now, I think I may just be in the lead, telling from the trade route information (is there a bettter way to tell?). What I really would like to know is how to continue. Is there some smart way of keeping my adversaries at war with each other for example? I don't think I can keep up warfare with multiple unit spamming opponents for very long.

13. Maxym

Maxym King

You can usually pay military leader to attack anyone, otherwise check for most useful pairings occasionally. Best time to bribe is just after one war has concluded and they have not formalized a new plan. You seem to be in ok spot, I never managed to get Brazil to fight anyone. If you go autocracy you can easily beat them all up. Pay brazil to fight India or Maya or if he us very strong, both. And eliminate culture leaders yourself.

If at tech lead grabbing stealth is an option, then your Airforce will be unstoppable, otherwise you need good use of combined forces to make headway. You need to be able to fight multiple fronts eventually, start building up your military. Post some screens for more detailed advice.

14. Alphons Rodulfo

Alphons Rodulfo weakling

OK, here is a screenshot:

Spoiler :

I couldn't fit all of Poland into one screen, but the index map should give an idea of the geopolitical situation.

I am afraid I picked the freedom ideology instead of autocacy. And I am kind of on par with the other civs, technologywise. And the cash doesn't flow too readily either. But I did just manage to persuade Indonesia to declare war on India. So thanks for the advise! I hope this will prove to be a master stroke :dubious:. Indonesia has top score and is big and powerful. And it has just let me know its insults regarding the size of my army are backed by nuclear weapons. India is still friendly, but is building lots of space ship parts, so it is not really inclined to let me win my culture victory.

Anyway, I am definitely enjoying this game! The difficulty level is a real challenge, and I have to keep a lot of different things balanced. Up till now there have been no boring moments. I think I will remember this game as a classic. So thanks to the GOTM staff! :goodjob:

15. sebtanic

sebtanic Warlord

My first attempt at deity...

As we won't be able to build many wonders, and therefore most of our tourism will be from conquest, I decided to see if the sacred sites approach can be made to work on deity too. I think city spamming isn't an option for me on this level, so I focussed on religion like a true cultural leader would :)

Founded 4 cities. Capital on hill SE, 2nd city on the coast between capital and Antwerp to get toundra (got faith from toundra tiles), 3rd one in the mountain ring to the north with lots of stone and wine, 4th one between sugar and copper to the west.

The two western cities got taken quickly by Assyria, and his siege towers are now advancing on my capital. I didn't play it out, I would probably be able to hold him off indefinitely until he outtechs me far enough or until the other Civs decide to join in to finish me off.

My second attempt is going a lot better: got sacred sites (this time I got festivals and focused on science/production heavy cities, also went full piety immeditaley instead of getting into liberty first), some tourism from my monasteries and waiting for buddhism to spread to my lands which has the other two faith buildings :D

Built one city to the north (ringed by mountains, same as on my first go) and one near the isthmus to the east (with fish, 2 iron & 3 wine) to hold off the Maya (planning to go after them when/if I finish off Assyria).

Got 3 city states firmly allied (Antwerp, Riga and Kathmandu), 3 trade routes with the Maya (2 land, 1 sea), about 80-100 gpt and happiness around 25.

After a long bitter fight, I was finally able to conquer Assyria's first city around turn 190 (in the spot near sugar/copper/desert). Using xbows, trebs, pikes and musketmen. Currently going for mercenary army to spam some landsknechts as I am chronically short on troops. Hopefully together with my loyal ally Antwerp we will be able to keep up the pressure and destroy him!