TSG70 Opening Actions thread

spear ruin upgrade and I was able to take 2 workers from Maya. It took some turns to get back as barbs want them too :) Later took one worker from the above religious CS.

cap BO: 2 scouts - granary (I think I got culture ruin) - shrine - scout - 2 archers - 3 settlers - archer - worker - caravans.

SP: full tradition - consulates - will get secularism asap, as usual.

I think I got education t107. Bought 2 univs. Signed 2 RAs 3-4 turns before I get edu and got 2 more when I got edu.

Very peaceful world so far and I could not get (most times even had a chance to try) any wonder. Not even oracle. Not a very good sign - need to bribe wars and go on conquest myself as well.

Attachments

• 2013-10-02_00002.jpg
    2013-10-02_00002.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 296
Turn 70 :

I stole a worker from Mayans and built a 2nd city for a CB rush against Assyrians. It was almost done from this picture :

Spoiler :

But meanwhile i allied 5 cs! :eek: :

Spoiler :

Turn 100 : Interesting...what about getting scholasticism after consulates? That's what i've done. Built Oracle to do this(tommy reported a turn 46 Mayans build..i guess that a stolen worker froze him up in my game) and i got quite an nice boost. I need that boost because im settling more cities and penalty is rising up. Catched the last religion with Tithe and 15% prod boost. It's a nice start for my taste but my poor knowledge of CVs may sunk me down later.

Spoiler :

Main land :
Spoiler :

Now...what if i'm missing important wonders later? Not better to go military and take stuff from the AI? I'm pretty sure that's the right way especially with Ghandi and Brazil around. I'm much better at warring :p(compared to CVs).

Took me only about an hour to "lose" this game. I found Mt. Sinai early on which made me try the Piety thing. It went quite well - my capital started with pop 2 thanks to the nearby hut and I found Writing in the next hut. But it took too long until I got to work the natural wonder, so by the time I would have gotten my religion, every buy-building-with-faith option was already taken.

Stupid idea to try that on Deity, that natural wonder seemed so tempting though...

This one's all on me for screwing it up. I opened Piety, build order Scout-Scout-Shrine, 1st Pantheon (Festivals,) 2nd Religion (Pagoda, 100g/city,) 2nd Reformation (Sacred Sites) then took too long to enhance my religion so I didn't get a second Faith building. All because I forgot that you get a Prophet for completing Piety, which I could have done in time to scoop up Cathedrals. Doh! This is doable even on Deity with Poland because of how fast he blows through the SP tree. I think I'll try again but my original game is scraps.

How did you manage to get the 2nd religion? Did you build Stonehenge or work the natural wonder early enough?

How do you do that? I never manage more than three. Maybe I am missing something important.

I gave a few of them a horse but I think it snowballed once they DoFed each other and I had positive modifiers off that. Now I got six BFFs as well and just keep grinding Assyria or rather surviving thanks to citadel. Spy, NC and three ITRs are helping me close the tech gap fast but not fast enough. I might need arty to take his cities, already over 35 def, hard work with XB, especially since I only have three left. I have never lost three of my original archers before, two of them just few turns away from log. Now he has Himeji too :eek:

Just hit turn 80, and things are going better than I expected. I'm last on everything except land area, where I am 3rd.

I'm trying out Tommy's Poland strategy, and it is working out pretty well so far, although I haven't had a single chance to try for any of the wonders. They are all built before I have the tech.

I didn't like the starting position, especially when my warrior showed tundra, so I crossed the river to see if there was anything better close. I quickly found the barb camp to the NW, and figured my game was over already, since I had an unprotected settler within striking distance of a barb. But he stayed in the camp, so I figured maybe they won't leave them undefended and moved next to the mountain. A second turn he left me alone, so I settled Warsaw there. I'm really liking this location since it is on a hill, next to a mountain, has 4 lux and 3 pasture within the 3 rings.

Anyway, I just settled my 4th city, and waiting for it to finish its monument before I take legalism. Because of moving my settler, I had lots of wine and currently have 4 DOFs. That gave me enough cash to buy all my libraries, so I just started building the NC.

I also got the pantheon with the wine/incense bonus that is helping my culture a lot.

This is the first Diety game I have tried, and I've not attempted a BNW culture win, so this will be a challenge I am sure.

Oh, and I haven't built any workers. I've taken them all from barb camps.

I moved the warrior north but saw nothing to warrant moving the settler there. Moved settler one east for a peek (nothing) and pulled back to the south hill where I settled.

Stole a worker from Pacal and Antwerp.

I figured my strategy as follows: go liberty left side to spam cities and then go to reformation ASAP. But since moving too fast is risky, I decided to open honor after liberty opener. My capital built scout, monument, scout, granary, archer 3x.

I figured an early army would keep the AIs off my back while they'd earn their keep by pillaging barb camps. I reached Collective Rule by turn 40, which I suppose is not bad considering the extra honor policy in between. Especially farming captured CS workers was very lucrative, I think on average I have two CS allies and two CS friends to bring in culture, religion, food and units. (Currently 12 culture, 9 food, 3 religion per turn and received a spearman and CB so far.)

I planted the 2nd city on the hill above the sugar in the desert so I can capture the 8 religion of Mt. Sinaii later on while blocking AI expansion. The 3rd went all the way North East to block anything coming in from the landmass I can't see very well but contains Maya, Brazil and India. It also covers 3 wine and potentially a deer. Then backfill the area between. Just settled 8th city on turn 99.

My plan: choose sacred sites, build an army of hussars and expand through a scorched earth tactic, razing cities while filling the area with new settlers. This will have the double-edged effect of both creating space for more cities and reducing the culture of the other civs.

So far so good. The trick is to balance gold income and happiness, which are both a continuous struggle. Fortunately most AIs are friendly with me, probably due to the early army, and I get good sums for all the wine and horses. Although that's probably going to stop as soon as I start picking a few AIs apart.

How did you manage to get the 2nd religion? Did you build Stonehenge or work the natural wonder early enough?

I wanted to build/chop out Stonehenge, especially since almost all the luxes were Calendar anyway, but Ashurbanipal yoinked it before I even got started. I cranked Faith from completing barb quests, Culture too. I got lucky and there were some barb camps that 2-3 CSs wanted dead.

I settle exacltly like glory7 screenshoot. was roughly at the same pop at the same turn . but I die something like 20 turn after to siege tower and maya (both declare war one me same turn, both ready to attack at each end of my territory.

next time.

Well, since I feel like I'm doing well just to win on Diety, I'll give this a go the best way I know how. So I went half/half tradition/piety to get some fpt cranking as I figure I would need that for GMs at the end. I figure if I have any chance at pulling this off it will be with about three-quarters domination, and then finish with CV. My plan will be to start with Assyria (well he started it for me), and then immediately roll back east and take all three of those nasty AI on that side. The problem is Pacal is simply out of control. He's got nearly every wonder in the game so far, and his capital is embedded in the mountains like an Alabama tick. Artillery maybe? Maybe.

My start ended me up with NC at T84 and 4 cities (I settled the 4th city while I was building NC and rush-bought the library). Locations are identical to Moriarte's except for the capital, which I put on the hill. Meh city locations. Meh growth. Actually no growth.

My SP path means no consulates, and I'm wondering if that's going to hurt me later. Managed to found the last religion and I'm not sure why. I should have planted the prophets and used someone else's.

Spoiler :

Does anyone else enjoy the nervousness of tommy's posts? ;)

Moderator Action: We try to run a PG13, family friendly forum. Please do not use symbols in an attempt to bypass the forum's autocensor. Changed your post without changing the meaning. Please review the rules concerning the use of bad language.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Oops, apologies. I'll keep it clean from now on. n.b. The old PG13 rating should be adjusted to more like PG6. I imagine 13 year olds have access these days to a lot worse than that word!

And I see now why you weren't really concerned with sacred sites un-evening the playing field. Spain, Maya, India, and Brazil have all gone full piety in my game.

And I see now why you weren't really concerned with sacred sites un-evening the playing field. Spain, Maya, India, and Brazil have all gone full piety in my game.

No kidding.
Proposed Art Funding - absolutely everybody liked me for pretty much all game long (I'm at T230 now and Brazil just now didn't want to renew friendship).
Also got the PT because no one opened Rationalism (same with FP and Patronage).
Not going Rationalism didn't really harm their science progress at all though^^

Well, at t102 I am alive, but as expected, not thriving. I completed NC about 3 turns ago, Education is still 14 turns away at current estimates (51 BPT)

Settled on the hill SE of the starting position and followed up with 2 more cities, one NW in the winefields and one NE on the coast where the land narrows (2 hexes west of some fish). Current populations are 10,7,6 (used my first trade route to send food to the third city, which was helpful in early growth.)

Thanks for finding Kat early on, I was first to get a pantheon, which I wasted on +1 Faith from Tundra. Still managed to get the last religion, but the other 3 religions has already been enhanced, so pickings were pretty slim, though I did Pagodas, which is better than nothing.

Everyone has been peaceful so far. Both of my scouts got upgrades, which was helpful for barbarian killing.

T100, Education in 11 turn :)
Playing this game peacefully, not even a worker steal.

I went 4 city trad, build all city in cap, as did not have money. Will plant city5 north to the pearls in 5 turn.

Settled on the SW hill for +1 prod, and found +1pop ruin at turn 2. As I did not have any food field, nor money to buy, I decided to go scout-settler.

Scout noticed faith hill but could not put a good city near, so I decided to skip it.
I managed to befriend a faith cs with find the land of.. Q and chosen goddes of festivals for culture. Had around t50 full trad and t95 consulates.
But did not get religion, almost all AI went to religion and piety. the 5th religion want at t65ish.

GL build t28, and all Oracle, HG, Petra before T50. Somebody even built the pyramids.

I plan to go war at the end or else, I would never be able to win this, but I really need to catch up first if possible. I bribed Assyria (12gpt) to attach Spain, as his siege towers were dangerously close...

Did not have money for unis, maybe 1 or two, but I will try to get some RA instead.

Things looking grim, the only two hope is the total peace and that I have good cityes, 2 wnear mountains.

looking ok so far.. went 3 city-NC but NC was kinda late, t~70..

went scout-scout-granny-shrine(festivals)-scout-settlers. stole 2 workers from pacal, bought warri to protect them, there were 3 barb camps nearby. stole another from antwerp and wanted to stay at war for later, but moved badly with scout (into barb) and had to let worker unprotected for one turn.. exactly the next turn antwerp built archer and took it...

wanted to settle 4th city right after NC but pacal claimed it first. my bad for not keeping watch to the east. had to go for another observatory city instead.

it was all quite peaceful except for assyria. dowed me around t70 but i held with a few archers and melee blocking the path. i will need to conquer him with xbows soon as he is running away in culture. i dowed pacal again too to steal another worker and delay him from oracle, but forgot about it :)D) and peaced soon.. so he built oracle few turns later.

got full tradition - consulates - scholastisicm - secularism so far. unsure on how to proceed considering tech path and policy choice.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0024.jpg
    Civ5Screen0024.jpg
    466.3 KB · Views: 187
This is around turn 100.

My warrior moved northish and seeing the wine I decided it would be a good route to get those in cap and get the pantheon giving faith and culture. Its not ideal to work wine, but the early faith production would possibly allow me to get a useful religion in deity. This worked out moderately, would have loved to get two buildings in a religion but thats asking a lot in deity. I did manage to get i think the 4th religion and monasteries.
I'm hoping to get sacred sites in the next 10 turns or so. Once I advance age.

I have friendships with 4 civs which keeps my economy going with the luxury gold trades. Two enemies being my nearest two neighbors. I've been at war with Pacal since I first took a worker, i've gotten many more and sacked a few of his settlers. Assaria declared at some point and after beating back his warrior and archer rush I've had a small army on his borders keeping his units down and promoting my own, also getting workers and settlers (although at this point I'm actually killing them for XP, I dont need more workers). I also have an army on my east borders trying to do the same with Pacal. Not sure how long I can keep that up.

I settled 3 cities total, the cap over the river near wine, my second city near the river to the west getting sugar and a bunch of pasture lands and eventually copper. My third to the north to get marble, and eventually I will drop a GG to get some other things controlled by a CS up there. My fourth I had planned to get the wine to the east but since its not a great spot except for the wine Pacal ended up getting there first. I took that city later in the 80-90 turn range. And have since annexed it.

My cities are running at a nice clip, and good gold income, tech is horribly behind. The two front war is taxing. Growth is slow since I spent culture on Piety. I'm hoping to hang in and eventually start taking out my warring neighbors. I have no idea how this will play out. I'm running around with a lot of CBs while Pacal has been sending over knights.

How are we allying 5 city states that early in the game? This is an aspect of my game I cannot grasp..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

looking ok so far.. went 3 city-NC but NC was kinda late, t~70..

went scout-scout-granny-shrine(festivals)-scout-settlers. stole 2 workers from pacal, bought warri to protect them, there were 3 barb camps nearby. stole another from antwerp and wanted to stay at war for later, but moved badly with scout (into barb) and had to let worker unprotected for one turn.. exactly the next turn antwerp built archer and took it...

wanted to settle 4th city right after NC but pacal claimed it first. my bad for not keeping watch to the east. had to go for another observatory city instead.

it was all quite peaceful except for assyria. dowed me around t70 but i held with a few archers and melee blocking the path. i will need to conquer him with xbows soon as he is running away in culture. i dowed pacal again too to steal another worker and delay him from oracle, but forgot about it :)D) and peaced soon.. so he built oracle few turns later.

got full tradition - consulates - scholastisicm - secularism so far. unsure on how to proceed considering tech path and policy choice.

How are you friended and allied with so many city states at turn 100?! This baffles my mind.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Spoiler :
Okay, well I didn't even make 80 turns, I made only 70 as you can see. I tried using Tommynt's Warsaw guide on this one. I should have known better. I'm sure under optimal conditions and/or more familiarity with deity this can be a viable strategy, but come on-- how do you deal with this?!?

I like Warsaw, but I dislike deity, and I dislike Assy even more. It is not humanly possible to have this many units and 4 cities this early.

Top Bottom