TSG_216 Opening Actions Thread

aafritz17

Escaping
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Well, I believe a bunch of things have now been sorted out with the new server / system. Since this game was delayed, I set it to run through the end of December.

For those of you have haven't played an advanced start (this one starts in the medieval era), here are the differences of which I am aware.
  • You'll find that the tech-tree is complete through the classical era.
  • You will spawn with 2 settlers, 1 worker, and 3 spearmen. The AI gets the same PLUS a fourth spearman.
  • You will have enough culture to immediately get 3 social policies.
  • The cities from your two initial settlers will have a monument and a shrine already built in them.

I played 89 turns so far. What a juicy map, so much room, so many unique luxuries! Lots of room to spam chateaus (chateaux for the French speakers!) :D

I went 4 city tradition. Built NC after settling all 4 cities. I'm tempted to build some expos to grab more unique luxes, e.g. near the cotton to the east...

Not sure what VC I'm going for, probably culture as it's my favorite VC. Diplomatic might be faster but I find it rather boring, especially waiting for the vote in the end. And I'm not in the mood for conquest.

Spoiler Screenshot of my young empire at turn 89 :

1669758024607.png

I also went 4-city Tradition. I settled on the coastal tile that turned out to have horses. (there was something weird about the map there; it stayed in fog of war even after I moved my settler there, and for a turn or two after I founded Paris. Then it went to normal) It didn't occur to me that I could start in Exploration, Aesthetics, or Commerce right from the start, but I probably would have gone Tradition anyway out of habit. National College was delayed a bit waiting for the 4th city to finish its library (I built a university and some military units while I was waiting.) I founded a decent religion, but the eras are going by so fast I never got a chance to buy any missionaries and just one mosque before I hit the industrial era. It's about time to pick an ideology. (Rationalism finisher into Radio. One city doesn't have a university yet and there was no need to rush it to build Oxford.) Monty is friendly but I can tell he's itching for a fight. I was going to bribe him to attack Morocco but he wanted too much for it. So I'm just selling him luxuries cheap and sending him a trade route and that's keeping him happy. Pretty soon I will have infantry instead of just crossbows, knights, and musketeers, and he won't be much of a threat anymore.

I usually don't bother playing the immortal and deity games, but this one is going well so far.
Spoiler :
20221201151522_1.jpg

Did anyone encounter this bug?
the fog of war on two tiles just didn't disappear.

Attachments

• 20221206192344_1.jpg
    20221206192344_1.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 54
Did anyone encounter this bug?
the fog of war on two tiles just didn't disappear.
Sorry, I suspect that was a result of using IGE to edit the map. I have encountered this a time or two while setting games up, but usually I can get it to go away. I didn't even see this one.

I'm on T231; I wasn't even sure what turn that equated to on a normal game, mine doesn't have the actual turns in parentheses like those above but if T214=89 then I guess I'm on T106. Having great fun so far even though I was worried early on.

I founded Paris in place and moved my second settler southwest because at first I saw all that tundra to the east. Then Yerevan was in the way but I kept going west and found Uluru so settled in range of that. I discovered that sweet river valley in the desert to the east and was going to send my next settler there, but Morocco beat me to it and settled a city in the exact same spot as I was going to. So that meant he had to die. I'd let him build it up a bit first since I had other things to do.

I only built my original 2 cities before NC and was surprised that none of the Civs to the west took the sweet land over that way so I risked it and sent my next two settlers further SW and founded Lyon and Troyes in range of a few more luxuries. If Ashur or Gahda didn't attack me they would be great cities in the future. Luckily, Shaka kept both of them too busy to worry about me encroaching on their territory so close to their capitals; and they have provided a good buffer against Shaka too.

Then it came time to get some territory to the east. Morocco had a nice religion and I hadn't even bothered trying for one since I saw him so close and he had gotten DF; he also had Mosques and Cathedrals, so I figured I'd just take his religion. Marrakech also had Petra! I took the capital first so he wasn't able to build units fast and then went back and just captured Fes on T230. I'm not sure what Monte is doing in my screenshot; hopefully he was coming to try and capture Fes from Morocco and is not planning on attacking me; he wouldn't be that foolish would he, I've got Musketeers and he only Pikes. Great game so far!

Attachments

• T231 - maybe like 100 Morroco capture.jpg
    T231 - maybe like 100 Morroco capture.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 27
  • T231 - maybe like 100 - western empire.jpg
    T231 - maybe like 100 - western empire.jpg
    438.3 KB · Views: 31
I played up to turn 130 so far. I pretty much followed the plan I laid out here.

I'm 2 turns from hotel tech, and 9 turns from a vote on the International Games, which will net me 100% increased tourism for 20 turns when I win. I'm slow getting out my great works though, still 8 turns away from my third musician to finish the Broadway theming bonus. I have Globe and Uffizi done. One more writer and I'll be able to swap works to get the Oxford theming bonus as well. I just made four archaeologists to dig up the four sites I can see nearby. Two will go in a museum in Paris for the theming bonus, and I'll have to strongly consider a point in Explo to unlock the Louvre for a free great artist and a further theming bonus with the other two artifacts.

My religion was very slow getting started because I didn't build up the gold to purchase Uluru until just after I expanded to it naturally anyway. I took Tithe and Divine Inspiration at first, figuring I wouldn't have enough time to buy Mosques or Pagodas before Industrial, and wanting the faith generation from all the culture/tourism wonders I planned to build. I got one missionary to spread to Lyon and Orleans, then enhanced with 15% production and Reliquary. The point of Divine Inspiration and Reliquary was to hopefully afford an Engineer right at Radio so I could rush Broadway, which I was able to do, but I'm not sure I'll be able to afford more than 1 or 2 artists/writers/musicians, which was the other part of my plan. I never spread my religion to Troyes, Morocco converted Lyon with a prophet while I was autopiloting, and is now staring at Paris. I don't mind having his desert faith pantheon in my expand, but I really want to keep my production and wonder faith in the capital.

One other thing that hasn't gone quite as well as I hoped is that I've had two max-level spies die to high % coup attempts in city-states.

For policies, I went full Tradition into Aesthetics, Oxfording into Radio to get first pick at Freedom along the way. I put a third point in Freedom for the 50% longer golden ages just before finishing World's Fair for a natural golden age, and continuing with the golden age policy in Aesthetics. Atm I have 25 turns remaining of golden age coupled with 15 turns of 100% culture from winning World's Fair. Aesthetics is finished, my theming bonuses are tripled now, and my next three points will be going towards the tourism finisher in Freedom over the next few turns. After that, maybe a point in Explo as considered above.

I'm hoping my upcoming theming bonuses and tourism multipliers will snowball hard. In the meantime, I'll tech next for Statue of Liberty, Research Labs, Flight for the chateau boost, and Radar for airports. I will be building hotels in all my cities next, followed by a museum in the capital, and broadcast towers for the Freedom finisher.

Spoiler :
gotm216t130.jpg

Attachments

• gotm216t130.jpg
    gotm216t130.jpg
    922.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I played 89 turns so far. What a juicy map, so much room, so many unique luxuries! Lots of room to spam chateaus (chateaux for the French speakers!) :D

I went 4 city tradition. Built NC after settling all 4 cities. I'm tempted to build some expos to grab more unique luxes, e.g. near the cotton to the east...

Not sure what VC I'm going for, probably culture as it's my favorite VC. Diplomatic might be faster but I find it rather boring, especially waiting for the vote in the end. And I'm not in the mood for conquest.

Spoiler Screenshot of my young empire at turn 89 :
Its Interesting that you went western from Yerevan. Such cities I find difficult to defend. I have focused to conquest my eastern peninsula .)

So for some reason I can't move my troops more than one hex inside Ethiopian territory, even on railroads. Its not a ZoC issue, I'm at least 3 hexes from any Ethiopian troops or cities; and even surrounded by my own troops. I can't even move back into my territory more than one hex. I don't see anything in the Ethiopian Civ description that would seem to be a feature of that Civ. Is it a bug? Anyone ever seen this or see it in this game? Not sure I'll be able to win because I need to take out Ethiopia because they have a ton of culture but my troops are getting chewed up moving only one space.

Edit. Ethiopia doesn't have the Great Wall and he already has Artillery anyway.

Edit 2. I realized that RR don't work in enemy territory and it was all rough terrain I was in so that's why I could only move one hex. Can't believe I have played Civ 5 this long and not realized that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom