Turn lag?

Encanto

Chieftain
My laptop is by no means bad... I'm running a dual core processor, HD video card and 4 gigs of ram on Windows tiny 7. I can run most things on high settings with no lags.

Which is all well and good, but late game, the game stalls for a good 30 seconds between turns while everything shifts around. Is there any way I can speed this up? Really kills my will to play, waiting that long. I don't see how it could be my specs :/

The wait between turns is probably being increased by large numbers of AI units. The most direct way to reduce this wait is to play on smaller maps with fewer civs. (Technically, fewer civs doesn't reduce the potential wait between turns, but it does increase the number of turns before any given amount of wait will begin to occur.)

Indirectly, you can reduce the amount of wait you experience by ensuring that all civs in the game can reach each other by land routes (because if the AI gets into a war but can't reach its enemy it will constantly build units but never lose any, resulting in massive numbers of units). Starting wars can also help to reduce the world unit count.

If all else fails, attempt to implement a strategy that will win the game before the wait becomes intolerable.

-------------

Also, consider turning off the "Show Friendly Moves" and "Show Enemy Moves" game options, and consider turning on the "Quick Combat (Defense)" game option.

...Which is all well and good, but late game, the game stalls for a good 30 seconds between turns while everything shifts around. Is there any way I can speed this up? Really kills my will to play, waiting that long. I don't see how it could be my specs :/

I've waited a minute between turns, at times. It all depends on how good that particular match is.

As Emptiness said, reducing the size of the map is probably the first thing you'd want to do followed by reducing civs. It's just the way the game goes about calculating all the civs actions. That can sometimes take awhile.

I find it is sometimes helpful to restart the game when it really starts lagging between turns. But, that's no sure bet. Once the wait gets really long, that's no guarantee it will continue that way. I've had waits actually decrease, presumable because the AI discovered something that made its life easier.

A normal sized map with one pangea continent usually gives the best results for all FFH2 games. The AI doesn't have a problem moving units around in those maps. I haven't tried it yet, but there is also a mod-mod for the AI so that it can better use its navy- Check the Mods forum. This might help a little bit as the AI will recognize new routes.. Not sure there, though.

I also think that FfH can't use a dual processor, so I think only one of your CPU's is doing the work.

Best wishes,

Breunor

I agree that this is a problem.

Fantastic mod, but I have the same problem. I ended up on one island with one other AI, I think there were 7 or 10 in the whole game. Every turn takes some 45 secs.. intolerable..:cry:

Indirectly, you can reduce the amount of wait you experience by ensuring that all civs in the game can reach each other by land routes (because if the AI gets into a war but can't reach its enemy it will constantly build units but never lose any, resulting in massive numbers of units).
A normal sized map with one pangea continent usually gives the best results for all FFH2 games.
Filler.

Top Bottom