Tutorial for Beginners

World Congress

The World Congress (WC) can be a powerful tool. As first glance, you might think that only those pursuing Diplomatic Victory cares about the WC. However, that is very false due to how big an impact the WC can have on your game. Some resolutions can hurt you while others can weaken an enemy to give you just enough room to squeak out a victory. For this post, I won't go into the great details. I'll give an overview of how WC is triggered, its functions and ways you can influence it. Regarding individual resolutions, that will take place in another future post.

The categories are listed below:

Unlocking the WC.
Sources of Votes (Overview).
Default Resolutions (Overview).
Unlockable Resolutions (Overview).
Diplomatic Victory (Overview).
Proposal and Basic Strategies.

Unlocking the WC:

There are two conditions that must be met in order to unlock the WC. First, you must have researched Printing Press. Secondly, you must have met all the other existing civilizations. I use existing because some civilization might have been wiped out at this point of the game so it's impossible to meet them. Note that these requirements apply to all civilizations so whoever achieve these not only unlock the WC but also get an extra vote for being the WC host. On Pangaea, you should have met all the civilizations prior to researching Printing Press. For maps with larger oceans between landmasses, this can take a bit longer as a Caravel and/or Explorer are needed to discover all the civilizations. Once the WC is unlocked, you will find your delegates to be valuable assets that can make an impact very quickly.

Sources of Votes (Overview):

There are many sources of votes but a lot of them require investments to achieve them. One of the few ones that's a given is the base votes for each civilization that scales with era. For those going for Diplomatic Victory, getting embassies and City State alliances are all part of the gameplan. Note that the votes from City State Alliances do vary with eras with each alliance giving up to 2 votes late game. There are policies and tenets that also give more votes. Religion can also provide you with ample of benefits, especially when you have reformed and spread your religion far and wide. Other sources are technologies, National Wonders and certain resolutions. You should certainly familiarize yourself with these so you can at least have an impact on votes as opposed to being at the mercy of the other major powers.

Default Resolutions (Overview):

There are default resolutions that are available as soon as the WC is unlocked. These have no technology prerequisites and can still be quite powerful. There are a couple of these resolutions that are net positive for everyone so proposing them can get you diplomatic boost with all other civilizations. Others are geared more towards your victory condition like World Science Initiative vs Endowment for the Arts. Others make war easier or harder. The three arguably quite powerful ones are sanction a civilization, ban luxury and sanction City-States. These three can drastically affect the political landscape and can cripple certain enemies if proposed at the right moment. As I mentioned earlier, you want to have some impact because, otherwise, you might be sanctioned next and you will feel it.

Unlocked Resolutions (Overview):

Unlocked resolutions require certain technology to be researched before they become available for proposal. Some of these are not only powerful but mandatory for certain victory conditions. For instance, United Nations is unlocked through Combined Arms and this is a key component to Diplomatic Victory. Some of these resolutions can also hinder other victory conditions like Travel Ban for Cultural Victory and Spaceflight Regulations for Science Victory. Most of the resolutions that give prizes based on how much you invested in it are also unlocked resolutions. Knowing what benefits you is critical to you deciding on what technology to unlock sooner rather than later. This should also help you gauge what you must do to undermine your opponents to weaken them or slow them down enough.

Diplomatic Victory (Overview):

Diplomatic Victory requires a few conditions. First, you need sufficient votes to gain Hegemony. Secondly, you must have your ideology voted as the world ideology through World Ideology resolution. Third, you need to pass the resolution United Nation to trigger the voting for Hegemony. As you can see, these all demand you to have plenty of delegates in order to pass them, especially when you encounter a lot of resistance to World Ideology and especially United Nations. World Ideology is unlocked through Telecommunications while United Nations is unlocked through Combined Arms. Therefore, you need to have reasonable science output to access those resolutions. While delegates are important, science is also something you cannot overlook for a Diplomatic Victory.

Proposal and Basic Strategies:

Regardless what victory you are pursuing, you must have enough delegates to prevent some diplomatic power from ruining your day. Great Diplomats become very important because they can be unlocked fairly early and they can place down embassies. Each embassy gives you one delegate and each City-State can only have one embassy in its territory. Therefore, it's a race to see who can get the most embassy down to get additional delegates. One thing to note is that you can actually steal land with a Citadel to capture a foreign embassy. This will remove that embassy and lets you place your own down. Therefore, it's vital where you place your embassies (to avoid losing it) and plan ahead so you can steal an AI's embassy to bolster your strength in the WC. There will be times when you cannot get place any embassy because the CS happens to be on a single tile island. In those cases, there isn't much you can do.

For those pursuing Diplomatic Victory, Statecraft is pretty mandatory as it caters to those focusing on CS. Normally, Freedom is the best Ideology for diplomatic victory but Autocracy can also work if you happen to be a war machine ready to influence the WC that way. A key resolution you want to focus on is Sphere of Influence that, if passed, makes a CS permanently allied to you. You no longer need to compete with other civilizations to ensure you have the highest influence. Instead, you can now divert your resources elsewhere and be guaranteed the votes from that CS assuming you can protect them. Vassals can be a great source of votes for Hegemony but you must realize that they can vote against you for other proposals. Therefore they are great for the final vote but can be detrimental for all the votes prior to it. Be ready to deal with it if you have lots of vassals.

Last edited:
Corporation

Corporation is unlocked in the late game (Corporations tech) but its impact on the game cannot be overlooked. One might say it's the last major component to be introduced after or around when Ideologies are adopted. There will be times when you have to make a difficult choice of either going for a corporation or for your Ideology Wonder. Why does it matter so much?

The categories are listed below:
How to get a Corporation.
Corporation Headquarters.
Corporation Offices.
Corporation Franchises.
Specific Corporations Overview.
Corporation related tenets.

How to get a Corporation:

Step one is researching Corporation technology as that will give you access to the Corporation Headquarters. Then, you will notice that you only have access to certain Headquarters. This is determined by what luxury you have Global Monopoly of. Since there can only be one Corporation Headquarters in the world, you must be aware of what your competition have as their Global Monopoly to ensure that you aren't denied a corporation. For tall civilizations that tend to have one global monopoly, the Corporation technology becomes that much of a higher priority. Once the requirements above are met and you are the first to build the headquarters, then you are now a proud owner of a corporation. Note that you can only have one corporation so pick carefully if you do have choices. What's next?

Corporation Headquarters:

When you research Corporations tech, you get access to the Corporation Headquarters that's associated to your global monopoly resource (luxury or strategic). There can be only one headquarter in the whole game and, while you can in theory build it in any City, it's generally built in your Capital. Headquarters, on standard speed, cost 1300 :c5production: Production and 4 :c5gold: Maintenance. Upon completion, they grant a free Office to the City the Headquarters was built in and allow you to construct additional offices in your other owned Cities. There's a limit of one Headquarters per Civilization so pick the one that benefits you the most.

Below is a list of the Corporations and the global monopoly resource they are associated with:

Centaurus Extractors: Horse, Whales, Crab, Ivory and Coral
Civilized Jewelers: Gold, Silver, Gems, Pearls, Jewelry and Amber
Firaxite Materials: Iron, Aluminum, Marble, Copper, Jade and Porcelain
Giorgio Armeier: Silk, Cotton, Dye, Furs and Lapis Lazuli
Hexxon Refinery: Coal, Oil, Incense, Uranium, Brazilwood, Perfume and Glass
Trader Sid's: Cinnamon, Sugar, Salt, Nutmeg, Cloves, Pepper, Cocoa and Tobacco
TwoKay Foods: Wine, Truffles, Citrus, Olives, Coffee and Tea

Assuming you have a variety of global monopolies to pick from, how do you decide on what corporation is for you? To put it simply, each corporation has a certain focus as shown below:

Centaurus Extractors:

The Centaurus Extractor Corporation focuses on :c5production: Production and sea trade routes. The Headquarters provide the following bonuses:

+2 :trade: Trade Unit limit
Double sea :trade: Trade Unit maximum range
+2 :c5production: Production to Harbors and Seaports in all Cities
Every Franchise in a foreign City increases your :tourism: Tourism with them by 2%.

Civilized Jewelers:
Firaxite Materials:
Giorgio Armeier:
Hexxon Refinery:
Trader Sid's:
TwoKay Foods:

Last edited:
Just wanted to post to show my support and appreciation for this thread. Have had it bookmarked for a few months to check progress once in a while and really appreciate the effort and time put in to try and document a comprehensive beginner guide to VP. :)

Just wanted to post to show my support and appreciation for this thread. Have had it bookmarked for a few months to check progress once in a while and really appreciate the effort and time put in to try and document a comprehensive beginner guide to VP. :)

Thank you for the kind words! RL does get in the way sometimes but I'm happy to see this being useful for some. If there's a new topic you want me to cover or cover something a bit more in-depth, feel free to post it and I'll do my best! :)

Finally, this unit is a perfect tool to learn about tributing city-state. While tributes have been nerfed in recent patches, it's still something a human player can take advantage of, especially if they go for Authority. The Quinquereme will teach you how to use military leverage to gain yields to potentially snowball very early in the game.

Could you explain this a little further?
Why it is especially possible to Tribute City states with this unit?
(quingereme from carthago)

Could you explain this a little further?
Why it is especially possible to Tribute City states with this unit?
(quingereme from carthago)

Tributing CS depends on your units' Combat Strength. A Quinquereme is relatively cheap to produce and have a Combat Strength of 14. It's also unlocked at Fishing, an Ancient Era tech. Since you can unlock the unit with just two techs and it has a Combat Strength higher than all other Ancient Era non-UU, it can help you get tributes easier.

Hey, back after a couple of years. Do you have a beginners guide to the new espionage system or able to link that for me? I've read around here that there is a new system in place, but can't find info about it for a few pages in the forum. Just got into the Renaissance Era and don't want to be stuffing up any spy/diplo activities.

Hey, back after a couple of years. Do you have a beginners guide to the new espionage system or able to link that for me? I've read around here that there is a new system in place, but can't find info about it for a few pages in the forum. Just got into the Renaissance Era and don't want to be stuffing up any spy/diplo activities.
Hi! I'm afraid I haven't played since the new espionage system was introduced. As for new guides, I'm unsure. Sorry I can't be of any help.

Top Bottom