Tutorial: How to Bankrupt the AI

Raneman

Warlord
1. Get Open Borders with some AI
2. Cover the AI's territory completely with roads
3. See how they enjoy their -20 GPT

Yup, this is much more reasonable then road spaghetti.

Even better. You can now use their territory to establish trade routes between your cities.

1. Get Open Borders with some AI
2. Cover the AI's territory completely with roads
3. See how they enjoy their -20 GPT

Yup, this is much more reasonable then road spaghetti.

Even better. You can now use their territory to establish trade routes between your cities.

Hahahahahahahaha

Ok, next game I am so trying this.

That's a weird tactic, because you actually want the AI to have gold, so they can give it to you or pay for RAs with you. Also you'll want to take their cities anyway at some point... then you got the problem. Also: There aren't enough tiles for roads to bankrupt Immortal/Deity AIs... they just will have 30k anyway.

So THAT'S what you're supposed to do with workers once you've built all the roads and improvements you need in your own territory :lol:

I am pretty sure that roads you build in other Civ's territory don't actually cost anybody any maintenance at all. I was under the impression that was precisely because there are evil people like you and me that would do exactly what you propose.

Have you tested this? I always thought you had to pay for all roads you made.

Either way better to bankrupt them by selling them your open borders and resources.

The maintainence of roads goes to whoever's territory it's on.

Wasn't this changed in a patch some time ago. That you don't pay for maintenance that you don't have built yourself.

I remember that there was some complains about when you take over a city it can become very costly because of all the road/railroads that was in the territory that took over.

Or is that only for road/railroads that you get because of conquests?

It would be good if someone could test this out, what roads and railroads are paid for by who.

I'd be interested in knowing the definite answer to that myself.

As far as the actual problem mentioned in the original post. I think it's kind of silly to complain about something like that. I understand where the original poster is coming from - they found an exploit that should not be there and they are showing how it works and what it does. That's fine, but this should be considered a major problem. There is an easy solution - just don't do it. Taking advantage of this in a serious single player game is like cheating at solitaire - whats the point.

Wasn't this changed in a patch some time ago. That you don't pay for maintenance that you don't have built yourself.

I remember that there was some complains about when you take over a city it can become very costly because of all the road/railroads that was in the territory that took over.

Or is that only for road/railroads that you get because of conquests?

It would be good if someone could test this out, what roads and railroads are paid for by who.

I remember a few days ago I had captured a city state that had already built some roads by itself, and I had to pay for those roads. You do indeed have to pay for the roads in your own territory.

I started a Hotset Dual map and tested this. You don't pay for any road maintenance in other Civ land. You do pay for it in neutral land though.

Although I play the game for fun and not to maximize so am not so concerned about this, but perhaps we should report this to the bug section.

I'd be interested in knowing the definite answer to that myself.

As far as the actual problem mentioned in the original post. I think it's kind of silly to complain about something like that. I understand where the original poster is coming from - they found an exploit that should not be there and they are showing how it works and what it does. That's fine, but this should be considered a major problem. There is an easy solution - just don't do it. Taking advantage of this in a serious single player game is like cheating at solitaire - whats the point.

There really is no point to it. On Emperor and above, the AI gets so much gold bonuses pretty soon it'll outstrip the number of roads your worker/s could build. Plus, you don't want the AI to have much easier access to his own territories than it is.

You really are better off doing other things with your workers, like chopping wood for wonders/libraries or improvements or heck, building an actual road system to your future conquests, than doing this ultimately futile gamey thing.

Pretty funny exploit I must admit, although I've found that having bankrupt AI's doesn't seem to affect the rate at which they spam units.

But why do you care to bankrupt the AI.

They do not actually suffer the negative consequences such as disbanding armies or mass building sell offs AFAIK. I have seen it in inaction.

I believe the player who builds the roads is the one who pays for it - that could be only neutral/uncontrolled land, thou. The game cheats....oops, "gives the AI 'advantages' - so fairly sure the idea will not work. Most games, depending on difficulty, the AI doesn't have to pay for anything. But that's just my experience.

Top Bottom