Ubuntu life for me

Do you like any linux os of any kind?

• I love linux and would never switch to mac or windows.

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Its ok, but i prefer mac or windows.

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • I hate linux and i hope i never see it again.

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters

jubnub

went to Neubrandenburg
I don't know about you guys, but i'm into ubuntu a lot. So much so that i have one computer deicated to it, and my second is a dual boot between windows and ubuntu.

I want you to tell me your experiances on a linux os, if you love it, like it, or just downright hate it.

I gave ubuntu ago and used it solidly for a few months, i then got a new laptop which came with vista. A compination of the improved spec and vista has resulted me in not returning to ubuntu and i probably wont unitll i got bored with vista.

It's ok, but I perfer Windows.

Ubuntu is my favorite linux distro at the moment. It's very easy to use and install. They have a lot of support and they don't charge for "corporate" editions like a few other distros do.

Ubuntu is my favorite linux distro at the moment. It's very easy to use and install. They have a lot of support and they don't charge for "corporate" editions like a few other distros do.
Linspire is the only linux distro that is a payware OS that I know off.

Linspire is the only linux distro that is a payware OS that I know off.

most of the popular distros have a free version, but have some type of special edition that you must pay for. The worst is mandriva that requires you to buy a membership before you can even use their official forums for user support.

mandriva, suse, fedora(in the form of redhat), and xandros. Those are just the ones I can name off the top of my head that have a pay for version.

most of the popular distros have a free version, but have some type of special edition that you must pay for. The worst is mandriva that requires you to buy a membership before you can even use their official forums for user support.

mandriva, suse, fedora(in the form of redhat), and xandros. Those are just the ones I can name off the top of my head that have a pay for version.

Yah, thats why i use Ubuntu.

If it wasn't for being able to play some games in linux (although wine is getting better) I would have switched to just it months ago.

If it wasn't for being able to play some games in linux (although wine is getting better) I would have switched to just it months ago.

Yeah, it is possible to play Civ4 Vanilla in Wine now. However, several other games dont work yet, and there are several apps that have limited funtionality in wine and just simply don't work.

Ubuntu is my favourite linux distro, but I prefer to use XP due to the compatibility (and familiarality) issues I guess.

Windows with Cygwin is probably the best option for home use. That way you get to use Windows for entertainment (games etc.) and you still have access to a GNU system with all it's usefulness (bash, gnutools, gcc etc.)

Linux for pure workstations though. (at least in a scientific environment)

Yeah, it is possible to play Civ4 Vanilla in Wine now. However, several other games dont work yet, and there are several apps that have limited funtionality in wine and just simply don't work.

Ubuntu is my favourite linux distro, but I prefer to use XP due to the compatibility (and familiarality) issues I guess.

Well, this is likely going to change more and more as time goes on. You've got several hundred people working (for free) to make games work in wine. Honestly... microsoft can't keep up with many of the open source projects. Their paying considerably fewer people to do the same job hundreds are doing for free.

Currently I'm running Ubuntu Studio with Compiz-Fusion.

The operative keyword being 'many', rather than 'all'. There are still many other situations where Windows > Linux.

Of course, but those tend to be situations where there isn't a lot of interest in the project (or need of it). As far as the OS itself (Vista) many of the current linux distro's surpassed Vista in performance and functionality before it was even released and they do it for free.

they do it for free.
This is the main advantage of Linux. Performance comparisons < This argument.

As an example: I'm sure there are Windows based scientific libraries that outperform the linux based software (gcc+gnuplot+GNU octave) I'm using for my current physics work. However, when faced with a choice of free GNU software, or licence costs (for Windows based packages) in the range of $4000 upwards (not to mention per-workstation or per-computation node license costs), Linux wins hands down.

Of course, at home I'll still use Windows XP, since it's a more pleasant home use system (and the GUI/explorer just 'performs' better in response times etc.). Since the GNU system is 100% emulable on XP with Cygwin there is nothing to be lost by this either. I can program using Cygwin/GCC at home and then run the programs on Linux at work.

I don't know about you guys, but i'm into ubuntu a lot. So much so that i have one computer deicated to it, and my second is a dual boot between windows and ubuntu.

I want you to tell me your experiances on a linux os, if you love it, like it, or just downright hate it.

I would love to install on my Laptop, but due to one or two requirements I have for my lappy at the moment I can't 'boo hoo'

I would love to install on my Laptop, but due to one or two requirements I have for my lappy at the moment I can't 'boo hoo'

Thats to bad, what are those requirements for your lappy?

Thats to bad, what are those requirements for your lappy?

At the moment, no spare cash what so ever, I have a windows usb adsl modem, which connect to the internet via AOL.

Now lets not get into the AOL suck thread, or get a ethernet router.

a) AOL costs me £13.99 a month for unlimited usage

and

b) AOL doesn't really suck its just cheap.

So until I either change my ISP or get a Ethernet adsl router,I am stuck with windoze.

(I did try and hook into AOL with a live cd but no good, also AOL said they 100% dont support Linux and refused to send me out a free router.

Toxitalk said:
(I did try and hook into AOL with a live cd but no good, also AOL said they 100% dont support Linux and refused to send me out a free router.

It's ashame when the big companies don't support Linux even to a basic level. They could at least have given you the free router but said something to the words of "you're on your own, buddy". nVidia have good driver support for their graphics cards for Linux :goodjob:, ATI on the other hand don't.

Man, thats to bad. I live in the hill country of texas so for me there is no aol or anything like that, so mine is GVTC, and thank god they have at least DSL.

But If i just lived one property over i could get Verizon high speed internet, but they wouldn't let us.

Top Bottom