Spartak Moscow v Celta Vigo
CSKA Moscow v Maccabi Haifa
AEK Athens v PSG
Benfica v Dinamo Bucharest
Steaua Bucharest v Sevilla
Shakhtar v Nancy
Bordeaux v Osasuna

(Ties to be played 14/15 & 22 February)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Draw for the last 16:

Zulte Waregem or Newcastle v Fenerbahce or AZ Alkmaar
CSKA Moscow or Maccabi Haifa v Livorno or Espanyol
Hapoel Tel Aviv or Rangers v Bordeaux or Osasuna
Braga or Parma v Feyenoord or Tottenham
Steaua Bucharest or Sevilla v Shakhtar or Nancy
Lens or Panathinaikos v Leverkusen or Blackburn
AEK Athens or PSG v Benfica or Dinamo Bucharest
Spartak Moscow or Celta Vigo v Werder Bremen or Ajax

I'd guess Newcastle, Espanyol, Rangers, Tottenham, Steaua (?), Panathinaikos, Benfica, & Werder for the quarterfinals.

My guesses, underlined wins last 32 match, bold wins last 16 match

Zulte Waregem or Newcastle v Fenerbahce or AZ Alkmaar
CSKA Moscow or Maccabi Haifa v Livorno or Espanyol
Hapoel Tel Aviv or Rangers v Bordeaux or Osasuna
Braga or Parma v Feyenoord or Tottenham
Steaua Bucharest or Sevilla v Shakhtar or Nancy
Lens or Panathinaikos v Leverkusen or Blackburn
AEK Athens or PSG v Benfica or Dinamo Bucharest
Spartak Moscow or Celta Vigo v Werder Bremen or Ajax

Well well well.. this is gonna be a long post boys.

Blame other factors - part
As any fan of any team that just lost big in an important game, I will start this post by blaming anyone, but my team. Although I must admit Werder Bremen was the better team, as expected, there is no way anyone on the pitch could have been sure about that header that was counted as the second goal. Vernon Anita's toes are on the line, and he gets the ball away with his leg. The ball just could not have passed the line. Ajax got its fair share of yellow cards, but there were some instances in which Werder would have deserved a few themselves. The diving actions of Klose (just one or two) and especially Diego (just twenty or thirty) were just sickening. One yellow card for diving in the entire game is by far not enough.

The more realistic view
Although there is a core of truth in what I said above, it wouldn't have mattered very much. Werder Bremen were better in 11 vs 11, and they were better in 11 vs 10. They were not as good as I imagined though. Most of the first half, Werder did not really get any good chances. Most they got were shots from 2nd line, which were usually 3-4 meters wide. The free kick on the post in the 3rd minute by, I think, Nando, was probably the biggest chance. The second half was a different picture. A fast goal from a corner, which was a combination of incompatible decissions of defender and goalkeeper, and a goal that might not have been one. The third one was obvious, and I actually have to credit Heitinga for even being able to touch that ball. Ajax had this coming..and I will now explain why:

The bigger picture
The bigger picture. For this game Ajax could not use almost its entire defence. Emanuelson has a knee injury, Vermaelen is out for a few weeks, Grygera has some trouble as well and won't be back for another week or two either, and Ogararu was suspended if I remember correctly. Davids played about 20 minutes for Tottenham earlier this season, so he couldn't play either.

Left with very few options, Ten Cate decided to do one of the most stupid things I have ever seen him do. He decided to change the system... to 3-5-2. With only Stam and Heitinga left for defence, he decided to put Spanish midfielder Roger as the left central defender. A ridiculous choice, until you remember that Ajax did not have any defenders left. He might have put Maduro a line back, but all acceptable youth players (Schilder, Vertonghen) are on loan at small teams in the Dutch league.

On the midfield he played Sneijder, who is the best man at the moment, and Gabri with a whole bunch of mediocre players. Hedwiges Maduro hasn't played a good game for one year and a half, Olaf Lindenbergh I can't remember ever playing a good game, and Donald.. well.. Ajax had to ask his mother to pick him up from the day-care center. The boy has never even played a game on a higher level than the A1 youth squad. This was supposed to be the mighty midfield that would secure Werder Bremen. The only one who did his job, was Gabri. Diego wasn't able to do much.

The attack was shaped by Babel and De Mul. This is not even an unlogical choice, if you take 3-5-2 in mind. De Mul is fast and is able to create danger, Babel seems to be in a bit better shape than Huntelaar and at least passes ok. I would have prefered the couple Leonardo Huntelaar though. Huntelaar the killer who's at the right spot, Leonardo the one drawing 3 defenders while dribbling.

Now the problems. 3-5-2? The defence with only two real defenders, and a midfield with Lindenbergh. The man has very limited capacities and is pissed off because everyone is better than him, which causes him to be a regular..on the bench. He gets his chance, and then makes two stupid fouls and gets his second yellow about 20 minutes into the game. How stupid is that? Up until that moment, the Ajax defence had survived, but the ball never passed midfield. Both Babel and De Mul were nowhere to be found, Sneijder was covered. Ajax obviously could not rely on any automatisms, since the entire tactical sheme had been reworked to something I have never seen at Ajax before. Not to mention A1 player Donald, who has never played any other system but 4-3-3 in his entire life.

Down one man, Ajax started to defend more and more. Werder Bremen actually became less dangerous after the red card. Most shots were wide, and there were no direct confrontations between goalkeeper and striker. Werder Bremen played pretty bad as well actually. There wasn't really a system, passes were somewhat ineffective.. but still they were way better than Ajax. Ajax was lost, didn't really know what it was doing, and seemed to accept that they would never get a chance to make a goal.

The second half continued like this..though very shortly. The 1-0 didn't have a chance to break open the game, because the 2-0 followed so fast after it. At this stage Ten Cate could have done what he did only after the 3-0; take a chance. He put in Perez and Leonardo for Donald and Maduro (eg. attacking midfielder and winger for defensive midfielders), but of course it did not matter anymore. Only at this stage Werder started to creat really big chances. I can't remember how many times they hit the bar, the post, or the goalkeeper. In the end, 3-0 seems to be a very small score for the number of chances Werder had in the last 20 minutes.

Blessings
Any blessings from this game? Maybe one. 17 year old midfielder Vernon Anita came in for De Mul to take over Lindenbergh's place after the red card. The positive side is that he did not play bad. Of course he wasn't really good either, and he certainly could not make the difference, but in a Ajax playing this bad (worst under Ten Cate so far in my opinion) no one could expect such a thing from a boy this age. Also Stekelenburg, the Ajax goalie, wasn't all that bad.

Conclusion
In the end it was a case of Ten Cate not responding well to a long list of injured players. The tactical solutions he came up with, were just rubish. In theory, with the first 11 of Ajax, it could have worked. The first 11 of Ajax isn't even that much worse than the first 11 of Werder.. but with these players.. Maduro, Lindenbergh and a boy from the A1 playing on key positions that should master Werder's midfield... not a chance.

Nice post, I'll give my view on the match. May not be as long, but we'll see.

In general

Given the result and also the way the match went I am relieved but also very content with Werder's performace. Ajax however were rather disappointing.

This started from the very beginning. Ten Cate had obviously seen our matches against Schalke and Stuttgart and had realised - especially from the first - that aggressive defensive play with fast counter attacks is the way to beat Werder. Theoretically that might be a smart analysis but in practice this meant sacrificing the (as far as I know) otherwise creative style of play for one that oriented itself on the opposition, not one's own strength. Gabri played a de facto marksman for Diego, unusual in modern football and almost bizarre if you are Ajax with the respective image.
The other result of that was the immense brutality in the first half. This has been the worst I have seen in that regard on a high level international match except maybe for the Portugal vs. Holland encounter at the last World Cup.
Sadly for Lindenbergh he was the one to bear most of the referee's response to it, while his two cards were well deserved at least the first one could have been decided otherwise, compared with the things the referee didn't award cards for. Especially Roger should have seen at least one and Gabri should not have ended the match on the pitch. This leads to:

The referee

While I mostly agreed with willem's post above I strongly disagree with him on this. Diego's card for "diving" (I actually think he got it for "acting") was a joke, that was in fact a foul and even if you decide differently it certainly is not diving. Generally Diego tends to fall down easily, but diving is a different thing. And it also has to be considered that Ajax committed about ten yellow card worthy fouls against him alone...
With Klose I have no idea what willem refers to. It should be known beyond Germany now that Klose is almost ridiculously fair and never dives. I mean, the man once went to the referee telling him he just slipped when the referee had already awarded a penalty. And that at 0-0...
Maybe you mean that scene in the second half where he fell down in the area. But that clearly wasn't diving, he just slipped and got up again, nobody demanded a penalty or anything like that.

As far as I could see it the second goal was not in. It was hard to tell - even on TV - but I think the ball was not fully over the line.

A few notes on the bigger picture

Ajax surely missed a few good players and certainly that didn't help them. We however also missed three usual starters (Baumann, Borowski, Klasnic) plus the non-eligible Rosenberg. Overall there was just one non-defense player on the bench, being Almeida.
Still I do think (as said above) that Ten Cate's approach of trying to react to potential threats by the opposition instead of focusing on his own strengths was the real mistake. Also not bringing on Huntelaar in a phase where clearly a single man's genius action could have been the only thing to save Ajax - and that despite taking off Babel - was something I didn't really understand.
Werder were irritated by the recent losses, he failed to capitalise on that.

The match beyond the technicalities

Werder's bad form of the last weeks was obvious here, too. At least in the first half, that is. As willem said few real chances were created, Naldo hitting the post in the 3rd minute followed by Klose missing the empty net was the best one in the first half.
Now one could say Werder forced Ajax into committing loads of fouls, subsequently resulting in them losing a player and eventually the match, but it is hard to tell how much of that was really the result of the game or rather of a premade decision to be overaggressive. After all it started from the first minute.
That leads to Ajax who, while defending very concentrated, created almost no offense action. Certainly not after the rather early red card but also not before.

Werder thus controlled the match practically for its whole duration. Nevertheless preventable defense blunders gave Ajax a handful of chances which they should have used at least once. Wiese saved them well.

The same can't be said about Steklenburg who looked rather weak on set pieces. Thus it was no coincidence that Werder scored twice that way. That it didn't work any other way up to then is testament both Werder's irritation and Ajax good defensive organisation. After those two goals within a few minutes Ajax were broken.
While they had already made astonishingly simple mistakes before (in tennis they would be called "unforced errors") after the 2-0 that became the norm. Probably a mental problem, when you see it floating away, especially with the controversial second goal.

Werder managed to take advantage of this once (here Klose's unselfish play has to be pointed out once again) but should have done so much more often. As unlikely as it sounds for a match that was 0-0 at half time it should have been 6-0 in the end. Diego hitting the bar and Almeida hitting the keeper twice were the worst examples.

Conclusion

If you beat a big team like Ajax 3-0 and could have won higher everything should be fine. But the result should not cloud the view on the problems that still exist, and there are several of them. But the fighting spirit was at least on a top level this time.
When this round of the UEFA Cup is concerned it should be enough to advance. But you never know, Werder will almost certainly think it is all over and if Ajax scores early, well...

Not a chance. Werder Bremen is through, and that's it.

I do like to stress that this was nothing like the Ajax I know. The anti-football was horrible, and it was close to making any football loving person cry I think. As for Klose, maybe I mistook him for Hunt. Could be. Stekelenburg... it's not the set pieces he is bad at. It's balls coming in high, mainly from the side..

Well, that second match sucked for sure. Nevertheless, at least we made it. Celta is next.

But you have to agree that it was a lot more attractive than the match in Bremen. The difference between the Ajax there and the one in the second leg was obvious, but I think Bremen was as well playing better. I do believe Wiese was the most important player on the Bremen side, being the only one preventing a 5-1.. on the other hand, Almeida did have a few very, very good chances when the score was still 1-1. In the end I think Ajax did deserve the win, but Werder deserved to advance. I'm just glad people got to see that Ajax is not like it played in Bremen.

The referee was a bit childish by the way. The only yellow card that was deserved is the one Huntelaar got, although I do not think he intended to slap the defender in that case.

But you have to agree that it was a lot more attractive than the match in Bremen. The difference between the Ajax there and the one in the second leg was obvious, but I think Bremen was as well playing better.
:eek:
No, certainly not. The second half was the worst I have seen from the team in many years, possibly ever in a UEFA Cup match.

And the first half was boring, after our goal the match was (or rather, should have been) over and that was obvious as Ajax didn't really push for anything anymore. Only after the 60th minute and the complete collapse of our team they realised that there really still is a chance. Fortunately too late.

Hehehe ok. I guess the only conclusion we can draw is that both our judgements are obviously influenced by how our teams did in the game.

Would have preferred it to stay at 4-1 rather than ending 4-2 but can't be disappointed. AZ didn't look that impressive and an in-form Newcastle is a match for any team on their day, I think we will roll them over in Holland.

Don't be too sure. AZ indeed did not look very impressive, I don't know what has gotten into them, but it looked a lot like they underestimated Newcastle (wtf?!?!)... and well, their main weakness is the defence.

And as we have just learned, AZ never lost a european game at home. ;)

Humbug. We rolled over, was pretty poor effort if you ask me. Still, the season hasn't been terrible considering the horrific injury list, so can't complain too much.

Hmm, Newcastle's failure leaves me getting 4 out of 8 quarterfinalists from the last 32 draw. Not too shabby, but now much to crow about either.

Top Bottom