Ultima Online

GreatSquid

Chieftain
I don't know if anyone here ever played Ultima Online or ever wanted to, but if you are interested in trying it out, there is a really fun free shard.

www.uoredemption.com

If you have any questions or need any help feel free to message me.

I like to play when I am taking breaks from Civ. There are plenty of nice people there, it can be a blast.

If you want to message me at that forum, my name there is Flurby.

Edit: If this is inappropriate for this forum or anything I apologize, as far as I know it is legit.

It's been a long while since I last played UO... I played UO back when I'm still in secondary school, and a bit of SecondAge. Quit because my friends no longer play and PKers were a big annoyance.

Aren't this kind of servers illegal?

I used to play UO in the late 1990's and early 2000's. It really began to suck with all of those expansions. The last good expansion was Renaissance.

Lake Superior Baby!

I also played Lake Superior for a long time.

I forgot to mention this server is pre-t2a which is before all those expansions, which is why it so fun to play.

I remember I played this game at a friends house, he kept raving about how it was one of hte bests games ever and I was bored to tears, the old ultima games for Commodore 64 were pretty awesome though.

It is a game that can have a learning curve at the beginning which can bore some people, but once you get over the curve it truly is one of the best games ever. It gets almost everything from those old ultima games, which I also enjoyed.

A truly great game should be awesome from the beggining.

:nope:

Games will have learning curves. A game's complexity doesn't make it less fun for those with the patience to learn it.

Sometimes easy-to-learn games will have great variations and complexity when playing it, but such games are rare. I can think of a few examples...

Adel Verpflichtet (Rogue's Gallery) - 5 minutes to learn. It uses the mechanism of rock paper scissors.
The Da Vinci Game - 2 minutes to learn, but takes a lot to master.
Boggle ;)

And easy-to-learn games with not much variations and complexity can only be fun for a limited time. e.g. Can you still enjoy playing Tic-Tac-Toe today?

And dare you say Civilization (both PC game, the new and the old boardgame) is not a truly great game? ;)

Not at all, Civilization is by far my favorite video game series. I play each one continously.

I just use Ultima to break things up and I thought I would give every one else a chance as well.

GreatSquid said:
Not at all, Civilization is by far my favorite video game series. I play each one continously.

I just use Ultima to break things up and I thought I would give every one else a chance as well.

You guys didnt have the patients to read my one sentence?I said truly great games should be great from the start, meaning, regardless of whether you can understand the game or not from the start it should be good. I didnt understand civilization at first and I still liked it, same thing with RPGs at first and RTSes, but Ultima online, I didnt get most of it AND I didnt like it.

Ecclesiastes said:
You guys didnt have the patients to read my one sentence?I said truly great games should be great from the start, meaning, regardless of whether you can understand the game or not from the start it should be good. I didnt understand civilization at first and I still liked it, same thing with RPGs at first and RTSes, but Ultima online, I didnt get most of it AND I didnt like it.

I totally understand your point and maybe this game isn't for you but thousands of other people would consider this a great game. The juice can be worth the squeeze.

Ecclesiastes said:
I said truly great games should be great from the start, meaning, regardless of whether you can understand the game or not from the start it should be good.

And that's the point what I disagree with.

If you read my post, I've stated my opinion that:

1) Games with simple rules quickly wear out (e.g. Tic-Tac-Toe) because of the lack of variations and content
2) Easy to learn games that remain fun for a very long time are rare (and examples given)
3) Complex games require time and patience to learn, and if they are good complex games, you will get the reward.

With point 3 being the most important thing I want to tell you.

There are a bunch of people on the server who said they are more than willing to help with gold, resources, or any questions people might have.

Here is a link that tells you everything you need to know to log in and there is also a link to where you can download the game for free(no disc required).

And together with a new client in 3D!

I think they can drop the name "Ultima Online" and avoid the grey area altogether.

So it's at least not illegal, and completely free, while having much common with the original UO I've played.

Hmmm... now I'll see how can I squeeze some time to play-test it a bit and see how it goes...

Have you tried both of the clients (official and emulated)? Are there any bugs?

Perhaps the emulated client would work better, since it is developed for the emulated server?

Top Bottom