Unconquered Sun is back for a Deity game

Unconquered Sun

Emperor
Hello all

This is the recap of my very first game on Civ VI, one I played without much prior reading on what's new. I was aware the big novelty is a "district system", but had no detailed idea what they are like.

As is tradition, I went directly for a deity win on all standard settings.

I decided on a civilization with early UU. This accomplishes three goals:

- be strong against barbarians, in case they are designed over the top

- be resilient against deity AIs, in case they are designed too aggressive/too overbonused at start

- be able to capitalize on early game expansion by war, in case it is designed as overly superior to peaceful plays

Then, out of all the early UU civs, I settled for one that wasn't 100% about warmongering. I didn't really know what the peacetime bonuses really meant, but at least it had some.

Here's the selection winner:

And so, with Gilgamesh onboard, we were ready to challenge the deities (to be continued)...

Here's a snapshot of the starting location on Turn 2 when I settled.

While the starting hex was just left of the forest, I wanted to see if settling on a resource (the cattle) will yield more resources for free, and it did at 3 food/1 production.

Otherwise, the notable things about the starting area were:

- most likely a northern hemisphere location, the plains north eventually giving way to tundras, and the grasslands south to jungles (err...rainforests nowadays) and possibly deserts here and there

- no sea/ocean at sight whatsoever...possibly a deep inland start

- a variety of nearby resources...probably working as intended for capital location

Conclusion 1&2 raised the odds for barbarian problems.

Conclusion 3 meant I had to hit the Civilopedia for a moment (in retrospect, at the time I didn't really get the significance of amenities luxuries or the wheat/rice-watermills-irrigations combo, nor that food resources can be harvested for insta-pops while in your borders, but not when outside, unlike production resources like forests (but not stones!) unless they are part production/food like rainforests...but after all that is to be expected during very first games).

Due to 1&2 I got out a UU with some priority over a scout. Again, in retrospect that may have been a mistake, but at the time I wasn't sure barbarians spawns are affected by visibility (aka fogbusting) or that scouts have 1 extra visibility range. On the other hand the terrain around was pretty open and the donkey-cart often enjoyed move 4.

Rest was builders. The concepts of builder charges, eurekas, civics, all of them I found fine. Somehow I glossed over the fact builders can rush ancient wonders, so I was content not to bother with them (after all it was deity so I saw it as too much of a gamble to go after a wonder without any prior experience with deity wonder-snatching speed/usual dates.

Same for religion - decided not to bother without knowing what an investment/benefit it entails. Finally, I decided against spamming early settlers too - instead I focused on developing my capital and keeping my flexibility until I was sure what an optimum strategy will be.

In the meantime, I met some city states (envoy system/city state bonuses looked alright), barbarians, and last but not least - two deity neighbors!

to be continued...

I should mention our fearsome donkey cart popped a hut for Faith, and as a result we founded our own pantheon. After a brief deliberation I went for a bonus of immediate impact - Lady of the Lake. Uruk now had two more good tiles to work at 3 food/1 production).

Back to our neighbors, they were Phillip of Spain and Medici of France. Both appeared moderately psychotic and backstab-y.

Just east of Uruk, I had met a city state named Kumasi. I was still trying to figure out how traders work, what trading posts do, and how to protect the trader I sent to Kumasi from barbarians; when Phillip invaded another city state (Mohenjo-Daro) to the south of the Sumerian capital. That was too much warmongering and expansion by the Spanish for my tastes. It was time to proverbially put Gilgamesh' foot down, and that meant lots of war carts.

I wasn't able to get to Mohenjo-Daro in time to save it, but taking it from Spain was easy (they hated me forever for that..."taking one of our cities"...it wasn't yours to begin with and you had it for 3 turns tops!). Then I proceeded to slaughter all of Spain's military. Which was almost exclusively warriors, and a chariot or two. Not a single archer. Was that the best a deity can muster against my subpar-ly planned invasion?

After hunting down Spain's units, I entered their home territory, but the amount of hills, vegetation, and rivers made it a bit of a slog. I had noticed France was more open and very poorly defended (again all warriors). France was also much more central to our continential mass (two continents really), while I had the Spanish cornered at a peninsula already. So I signed peace with Phillip, and quickly took all French cities but the capital Paris. The last one, Nantes, had walls and they were annoying to bring down with carts, so I went back to the Civilopedia...if I were reading right, when it came to walls, heavy cavalry counted as "melee" and only did 15% damage. But did that mean a siege tower would enable not only proper melee like swordsmen, but also cavalry to ignore walls? An interesting visual.

All in all, our immediate deity neighbors performed very poorly. Close to 1000 BC they had almost nothing better than warriors. Not to mention rushing territory came with no downsides whatsoever. No new city upkeep/corruption/anything. No crippling army upkeep as war carts have none (I didn't know it at the time, but if I was playing with any other civ that was about the moment I would have discovered the extremely favorable production-to-gold disband ratio).

I probably cannot do justice in words on how much more precision such early wars required on versions like CIV Warlords to simultaneously invest in and support a force stronger than early deity armies, finish before the technological window to their superior medieval units closes at 1000 BC and they insta-upgrade, grab all the fairly expensive "civilian" techs needed to rebound the economy after the conquest, and manage the diplomacy to dissuade opportunistic backstabbers.

In Civ VI, after a very unfocused start and poorly grasping the mechanics, I leisurely rolled over not one but two deities without encountering much more than warriors. And it wasn't like they've achieved a technological edge on me during this time to be back with a vengeance, what was left were just wrecks to mop up on a later date.

The big question now was how well were the other five deities, away on a continent or two, doing. It was plausible one or two of them were breakouts, much more dangerous than the ones encountered so far...

The map prior to 1000 BC:

tbc...

Welcome back

This next post will cover the period between ~1000 BC and ~1000 AD. Traditionally, this is a very interesting time in deity games; if the preceding 4000 BC - 1000 BC period is the one the player reacts to the harsh realities of the difficulty setting and the goal is to survive and even the scales a bit, and the post 1000 AD is the time to reap the benefits of long term strategy and win; this middle area is the time we are free to be inventive in our approaches to the game.

Probably a lot of small things happened while I played these turns. Via trial and error, and reading the Civilopedia (it finally began to make sense) I delved into the mechanics of the game. In no particular order, here are some musings:

Districts: initially reading their cost as 60, I thought "that's not so bad for the benefit." Then I saw it was only a base cost, and the actual cost was way higher. It seemed underwhelming but I built a science district (campus) at Uruk just to see Great People points generation in action.

But at further analysis, I came to the conclusion trade routes were really good especially when one nabbed more synergy for them, and set on building commerce and harbor districts. The other part of the analysis concluded production is really important, and while the basic industrial zone+workshop weren't so great, the factories and the powerplants were at 6 range. So I planned for them and also Ruhr wonder.

City placement: I put two cities on the coast (while on rivers) and that was probably an overkill, as ocean tiles are poor yield and a city center can be three tiles away and inland from its harbor district.

Wonders: some wonders are good, some not so much, some are peculiar (ie Potala palace gives its bonus as one time event, not as a constant boon to its owner), some aren't described up to date (Ruhr bonus is actually 20% only - still great in a hilly city). One thing is shocking though - failing a wonder yields absolutely no compensation - meanwhile disbanding a unit compensates 2 gold per hammer, or 4 gold per hammer with a 100% policy, or 8 gold per hammer with Scythia or Venetian Arsenal - honestly, I've never, ever, seen a Civilization game that so skewedly favors a warmonger thing (disbanding units to fight upkeep) against a peacemonger thing (building wonders and losing the competition from time to time).

Anyway, back to the game, apart from Ruhr this period saw Terracota Army and Great Zimbabwe constructed by the decree of mighty Gilgamesh, as well as the straggler Great Lighthouse. Colossus was failed, to be followed by a most embarrassing failure for Big Ben at Uruk itself. Gilgamesh was so distraught he threw away the glittery hoard he wanted to safeguard at Big Ben at infrastructure for the population and at the dubious projects of people most considered great.

Religion: Sumeria got none of the five (who comes up with these numbers anyway?). Phillip was doing well with his Catholicism. Eventually, an alien longship introduced Protestantism.

Diplomacy: The owners of the above-mentioned longship turned out to be very friendly. They told Gilgamesh all about their bloodthirsty quest to slay all infidels on a distant landmass. Gilgamesh nodded and made them best friends, he too knew what it is like to be hated by petty neighbors.

On another note, the hidden agendas do have a strong sway. Phillip, for instance, was focused on missionaries. Fair enough. But Medici was on army, and soon half of the continent Mu was covered in her primitive military formations to the point Sumerian workers couldn't even pass to our provinces there. Was it really needed for one city to support 50 units, while the four cities of Spain clearly supported too few to protect their wonders and lands from Gilgamesh?

Exploration: Overall, I liked it, but as one of the four X's, and probably my favorite one, it was slightly jarring some mechanics favored NOT exploring, most of all the DoW penalty system. Eventually I DoWed France and Spain again, and I purposely did it before meeting all of the other AIs because I (correctly) suspected they won't be mad if they didn't have contact with me at the time of the war declarations. As the Vikings were my allies, only China was annoyed. The wars were brief. Map:

With the entire continent secured and the only religiously powerful civilization (Spain) removed, Gilgamesh was ready to choose a victory. Culture? Nah, he didn't want to endure tacky tourists from all over the world. Domination? Nah, too easy. Science it is, then. On to Mars!

But was anyone out of the Vikings, the Chinese, Teddy's Americans, or the rumored Scythians powerful enough to oppose Sumeria? Certainly not.

But Japan just might be...

Yes, Japan. Apparently, having proven he is one of the best at Total War: Shogun, Hojo had its sights on Civ VI. When we met, Japan was putting out comparable numbers of science and culture, had an 8-civics government (Democracy), and a deep beeline all the way to Mechanized Infantry, despite lacking Iron Working (never a problem for Japan's suave polymer armored vehicles). They were building a spaceport just off the coast.

Very well. Gilgamesh had long wanted an excuse to bump up science, and he finally had it. Maybe it was finally the time to spam Ziggurats everywhere? Perhaps, but his advisors weren't too keen on the costs of converting prime farmland to ziggurats. Instead, the Sumerians did two things:

- sent spies abroad and otherwise focused on triggering eurekas for as many technologies as possible, be it via great people, city states, or particular conditions. They did so well, that when they eventually attracted a great scientist who could eureka all of the Information Age there was nothing for him to trigger, even the 5-eurekas in one turn achievement was already achieved without anyone like him.

- Campuses. Remember how underwhelming they were once? Well, these early investments had paid out with two modest scientists, one for +2 per university and one for +4. Considering Sumeria only had the university of Uruk and the much later constructed university of Bad Tibira (and eventually two conquered Spanish ones) these benefits amounted to a few more % science per turn.

But then, there was a civic which doubled Campus building research bonus. And suddenly having universities at base of 10, plus a library of 2 and lab of 5 meant 34 research, rounded up to 40 with the base campus bonus plus city state benefits. As more of these campuses were brought online Sumerian research skyrocketed, doubling once, then doubling once again while Japan stood in place.

Having research in our corner, it was time for the final piece of the puzzle: production cities for the spaceship parts. Mohenjo-Daro has long been the strongest with hills and Ruhr, but Paris and to a lesser extend Uruk benefitted from late spree of forest-growing along their rivers. Traders were also rerouted to maximize production in these cities. Meanwhile, a great person offered to complete a part all on his own, while another offered to make all parts twice as easy to produce.

On a side note, some cities tried scientific (and other) projects, but the exact benefits remained unclear. It was one more thing on a growing list of "head scratch" items. For instance, why was it impossible to find what luxuries were imported from our oversea friends? Did I miss it somewhere? I considered using the "pin note" subsystem to write down what luxuries I got from what civilization, because at the end I was importing seven and the AIs all offered similar ones making me forget what I have and what is expiring. Or why couldn't we tell what is the next hex a city's culture will expand to? Why couldn't mighty barrel-chested Gilgamesh remap his keyboard's arrow keys to WASD? This isn't to say there weren't cool little gimmicks too, like capturing spies and being able to trade them back, very Cold War style. But I digress.

Eventually, all was ready for Gilgamesh to leave for Mars in search for new challenges and adventures. Hojo should have stayed at Total War: Shogun. It was the year 1680 AD.

Last edited:
can you give some production breakdowns, the only game so far I've finished, spaceports took 35-ish turns, and I only finished on 340-ish, which was horriawful

Trade routes played a role, not only for some extra production, but for concentrating massive amounts of food for growth to work lumber mills. For example here's Paris still developing and building its spaceport, and then, later, Paris completing its spaceship part:

Mind you, I wasn't "rushing it" hard at all. For instance, Paris had multiple "old-growth" forests I could have chopped down and replaced (probably worth 1k raw hammers at that point). And that's only in the city "cross." In theory, Paris was closest to forests/rainforests in neutral/foreign territories directly to the east of it too.

I also had multiple paths to constructing the spaceship. For example, it was completely plausible to build two in my best city (Mohenjo-Daro) and simply boost one via the 3k hammers great person; not to mention that I expect it would have overflowed with the 100% boost from the other great person, the 15% civic boost, the 10% communism boost, and possibly the 20% Ruhr boost, for a total of 2.45 spaceparts instantly. The reasons I didn't do it like that were:

- I didn't bother. This game is not optimized by any measure of what I consider optimized games.
- too exploit-y to overflow like that
- didn't know what spies sabotaging production at a spaceport could do...so I kept the 3k great person till the second part was 1 turn away in Paris, and completed the part that was being built in Uruk. You can see the production overflowing into a 1/turn H-bomb (possibly multiple turns of 1/turn H-bombs?)

And here's Mohenjo-Daro. You can see the production it pulls despite so many of its tiles being mountain, lake, its districts, former Spanish cities districts, and one last irrigation no builder has managed to convert to forest yet.

Top Bottom