Unique/Heroic "Units" in Civ 6

TyrannusRex

Warlord
So, while Civ VI is sadly long past support, I had this interesting idea the other day and thought it was at least worth sharing, if not modding.
Now, I'm sure you know how the Heroes & Legends mode introduced a variety of mythological heroes from across cultures that could likewise be recruited across cultural boundaries. So, the Greeks could recruit Sinbad if they wished, or Australia could grab Hercules, or the Cree with King Arthur.
But sometimes, the most famous and inspiring heroes come not from myth, but from history - and sometimes, they aren't individual people, either. Whole units can go down in history as legendary soldiers, living on forever as icons that stood for their civilization and struck down their enemies.

This idea sort of follows that pattern, though with the major differences being that 1) instead of being globally available, they would (probably) only be restricted to their IRL civilization, and 2) instead of having unique assets, they would be classified as a preexisting unit with increased health, attack/defense, and maybe a special bonus or ability or two. I don't think you should be able to retrain them upon death, either, which would make them feel more distinct.
So, for instance, the following civilizations might have access to these "Legendary Units":
America - Harlem Hellfighters (Infantry)
Germany - Totenkopf /Husaren-Regiment Nr. 5 (Cavalry)
Greece - Sacred Band of Thebes (Hoplite)
Rome - Legio III Gallica (Legion)
Byzantium - Varangian Guard (Berserker)
Sweden - Jomsvikings (Berserker or Longship)
Egypt - Amun Division (Battle of Kadesh {Maryannu chariot archer})

Now, the main problem I see with this is that even if you could find good historical records of a unit from each of the playable civs that distinguished itself in combat or folklore (I'm fairly certain, for example, the Gauls didn't bother naming their formations/units/"legions", but if I'm wrong, please correct me), they might not all be as compelling as the ones I listed above.

Last edited:
Now, the main problem I see with this is that even if you could find good historical records of a unit from each of the playable civs that distinguished itself in combat or folklore (I'm fairly certain, for example, the Gauls didn't bother naming their formations/units/"legions", but if I'm wrong, please correct me), they might not all be as compelling as the ones I listed above.
It's interesting that you mentioned Gaul because I believe that is basically what their UU unit is already. Same thing actually goes for the Dutch too as the De Zeven Provincien is literally one warship that managed to survive many battles.

It's interesting that you mentioned Gaul because I believe that is basically what their UU unit is already. Same thing actually goes for the Dutch too as the De Zeven Provincien is literally one warship that managed to survive many battles.
As far as I knew, De Zeven Provincien was a class of warship, the first one being, well, De Zeven Provincien, since it bears the name. Same with Minas Geraes - there were only two ships of that line/class ever built, Minas Geraes and São Paulo.

Edit: De Zeven Provincien has been the name and class name of numerous modern Dutch ships, but I can only find two ships-of-the-line that bear that name.

As far as I knew, De Zeven Provincien was a class of warship, the first one being, well, De Zeven Provincien, since it bears the name. Same with Minas Geraes - there were only two ships of that line/class ever built, Minas Geraes and São Paulo.

Edit: De Zeven Provincien has been the name and class name of numerous modern Dutch ships, but I can only find two ships-of-the-line that bear that name.
Yeah the current class of warship was named after the ship-of-the-line that the UU is based off of. I wasn't aware of another similar one bearing the same name though.

If that's the case then it is similar to Brazil's UU, which I completely forgot about.

Japan - Yamato Class (battleship)
England - the Golden Hind (Galleon)
French - Paladin (Knight)
Spain - El Cid (Knight)
Sumer - Beast Man (warrior)
Brazil - Amazonas (Steam Frigate)

Top Bottom