Unit creation

ogmoir

Arctic Troops
I'd like to know everything about unit creation as soon as possible. :D The graphics are probably going to be the hardest part, so if you already know about modding the graphics of a game using the Gamebryo engine, feel free to post here whatever might apply to Civ IV. It seems I won't get my copy of the game until November, so I want to use that time to make graphics that I can't test. :p

The graphics are probably going to be the hardest part
:lol:
I wonder what else there actually is for unit creation? Well, yeah, sounds of course :)

I'm not sure how we will be able to create new models, but I would think it wouldn't be too hard to re-skin a unit, but keep the same model and add it too the game under a different name. I think so because *most* 3D games are a base "model" (wireframe thingymabobber) with a "skin" (pic file) wrapped around it.

Example: Subject A is wanting to make an American Civil War scenario. So, he takes basic in game rifle unit's skin, uses a photo editor to give it a gray uniform, and saves the model and skin in a new folder called "Confederate soldier" or whatever. This should allow it to be used without problem.

Does anyone know if the SDK will include a plugin or converter for making new models? Almost all games use proprietary (sp?) file types for in-game models. This means that you either need a converter that will convert your new model into something the game can use, or you need a plugin that will allow your modeling program to export directly into the game's format. Does anyone know if there will be a plugin or converter available, or will we even need one? Some games actually use a format already supported by the modelers.

This reskin thing sounds very interesting.. Since these «skins» are going to be pic files, I assume they are going to be in 2D (Am I right?). Hence, people like me who are only equiped with basic image editors (like photoshop) would be able to bring their humble contribution on unit creation. At least on models created by gifted 3D modelers. Will it be that easy? Or will we have to modify the skin in a 3D program?

Hmmm this sounds fun!

If modding is the same as in Pirates! then i already have a bit of experiance under my belt :) I acturally did quite a bit of modding skins in pirates so this should work out really nicely. You don't need a 3D program to modify a skin, I use GIMP 2.2, but you could even use just paint ;) lol. (so yes-photoshop would work).

As long as we get some people making the models (and i'm sure they'd like to make full units too) then theres tons of people who could use the models and make skins for them!

and acurally... if its the same as Pirates! the skin files will be .dds files, but Idk if its the same...

This all sounds really neat! Now i'm getting excited! woohoo! lol....

If that's the case, then I guess I won't need to abandon my pixel-by-pixel way of doing things. :)

GameBryo? Isn't that the same engine used to make The Elderscrolls games isn't it? That would mean they are using the NetImmerse engine. I have seen the NIF Exporter for a few of the games (Morrowind, Freedomforce) but I think they were made specifically for those games. Then again I could be wrong on that.

Maybe you could give a link to the exporter Weasel Op?

Where are the scripts used for the units, to provide info on attributes and such?

I don't know if an exporter is even required, or where to get it if it exists. But if one is required, it definitely has been made, because people have been modding Pirates! for a while already. Since it uses the same graphics engine, it would use the same exporter.

edit: @wotan321: the unit stats come from the xml files

I am pretty sure you need an external exporter for 3ds max for the .nif file format. I do not think it is a native extension for 3ds max. But it really doesn't matter. I don't think a single unit will be made until Firaxis provides modders with the exporter, assuming it is coming with the SDK next year.

Yet again I am going on what little I know and am not an expert on thins, just making some educated guesses.

Mhahahaha!!! First Civ4 unit evar!!! Bask in the power that is my ability to create!!! Bow down before the powerful and might RED GEOSPHERES!!! J/k :lol:
View attachment 101850

I took the liberty of making a geosphere in Milkshape 3D and then exported it with an custom made exporter from a Yahoo Group called NIFLA. It took me all but 2 minutes to do that, and most of the time I was waiting for the programs to load. :lol:

Top Bottom