Unit glitch that still bothers me.

LoneDragon

Warlord
Anyone else have this happen a lot? I'll be exploring the world, usually early game when I suddenly realize one of my units hasn't moved in a few turns. It's just sitting there, without having been ordered to sleep or skip turn.

Never heard of it. Though if you order a unit to pass a chokepoint with shortcuts or fog of war in surrounding, they might dance around when there are AI units blocking the chokepoint. Once your units see the AI unit, they change course but will resume the previous route when they don't see the unit. Thus the unit dance around.

This happens to me as well. It's pretty rare but yeah, it is a weird one. Haven't managed to find any logic as to why it happens.

It sounds a lot like the case I described. Sometimes units do get stuck when trying to navigate through chokepoint or trying to walk through Fog of War. Once they find out the route is impassible or blocked by other units, they recalculate the route but will resume the old route once they lost sight of the said units. Hence "dance" around and look like "sitting in the same area". Also, when you put units on sleep, fortify, alert, the unit icon becomes transparent, hardly noticeable. As a result, makes you miss out a few units.Though, can you illustrate your situation with some screenshots on what have you done prior to the glitch happens? In my understanding, you simply ordered a unit to a position and... when you discover them, they just sleep, fortify, alert, whatever in that position.

I usually only see this when the unit is on a jungle hill tile.

I haven't had this happen in a while actually, but it has happened in the past. Because I like to explore manually in the very beginning, and it's frustrating when a unit doesn't come up for movement. But after far too much frustration, I finally disabled the automatic unit cycling, maybe that fixed it? I was really hoping they would fix the unit cycling, but they did not. I do like it better with no unit cycling actually.

I never automate units, and have seen this happen many times. Most often in jungles or jungle hills, as Monthar said, but I've also seen it happen in forests, forest hills, or just hill tiles. I'm not certain what causes it, but the unit essentially puts itself to sleep without telling you.

Xplosive Lun, he already said he manually moves his units, so what you are describing isn't applicable. I have had the same problem. For some reason everything is going great, you finish moving one unit and it flips to the next unit, but every now and then, the game skips a unit and doesn't include it in rotation again unless you realize it and find and move it. Also, if you heal a unit, the same thing will sometimes occur, the unit never activates on its own and you have to find it and move it before it shows up in the unit selection rotation.

yes I think I have seen it too.

Xplosive Lun, he already said he manually moves his units, so what you are describing isn't applicable. I have had the same problem. For some reason everything is going great, you finish moving one unit and it flips to the next unit, but every now and then, the game skips a unit and doesn't include it in rotation again unless you realize it and find and move it. Also, if you heal a unit, the same thing will sometimes occur, the unit never activates on its own and you have to find it and move it before it shows up in the unit selection rotation.

In my case, you still manually move units. And you'll encounter this problem eventually as it is not uncommon.

Well. I ceased using auto unit cycle long time ago. So I have never come to this problem. Still, if you want auto unit cycle to work better, you'll have to be patient. When you moved a unit, avoid clicking on other units. Wait for the cycler bringing in the next unit.

Clicking on other units is irrelevant but it brings up another annoyance. I hate it when I move a unit, click another unit I want to move, and then it autocycles away from the one I clicked before I can do anything.

Clicking on other units is irrelevant but it brings up another annoyance. I hate it when I move a unit, click another unit I want to move, and then it autocycles away from the one I clicked before I can do anything.
Or you click the next unit you want to move, click where you want to move it to at the exact moment the game auto cycles to another unit on the other side of the map, and now that unit is headed back across the map

exactly the reason I turned off auto unit cycling. I put up with it for a long while. But I lost too many units during warfare because of this glitch, and got tired of reloading.

exactly the reason I turned off auto unit cycling. I put up with it for a long while. But I lost too many units during warfare because of this glitch, and got tired of reloading.
Well that would take care of the second problem. But the initial issue that inspired the thread also occurs when cycling manually.

This problem comes up whenever a all spaces adjacent a unit cost more movement than the unit has. For instance a warrior with all jungle hills beside it. The game doesn't seem to know you can always move at least one square regardless of the terrain cost and so it just skips the unit.

Top Bottom