Unit Index

Great work so far but as we hope to get a lots of units how about making each one only one line like this:
Code:
[b]*Re-Skin*[/b] [url]Thread[/URL ]  [url]Download[/URL ] [url]Screenshot[/URL ]

That might work but what if there's a really long line (like the panther:
Panther *Re-Skin* | Thread 1 - Thread 2 | Download 1-1 - Download 1-2 - Download 2-1 | Screenshot 1 - Screenshot 2), it won't fit. Unless I made 2 differnt panthers (those are 2 different reskins of it. I'll test it on the Ancient ones, if it makes it easier to read, as that is the most important aspect of an index.

Good call. Was thinking about making a list myself but moved and a new jobb so never had the time. *thumbsup*

I thought I could port it into a wiki, that way the unit-creators & actually anyone could add new units. Any suggestions where it could be placed? The civ4wiki seems like a good spot to me. That way there'd be more admin's checking that nothing's deleted/sabotaged.

Man, the renaissance is really hurting for units, isn't it?

That might work but what if there's a really long line (like the panther:
Panther *Re-Skin* | Thread 1 - Thread 2 | Download 1-1 - Download 1-2 - Download 2-1 | Screenshot 1 - Screenshot 2), it won't fit. Unless I made 2 differnt panthers (those are 2 different reskins of it. I'll test it on the Ancient ones, if it makes it easier to read, as that is the most important aspect of an index.

What about:
Panther *Re-Skin* | Thread: 1, 2 | Download: 1, 2, (Alt. skin) | Screenshot: 1, 2

It's maybe still too long, just an idea.

:confused: Error in fetchObject(): Table 'kytelan_civ4wikidb.page' doesn't exist
Backtrace:

GlobalFunctions.php line 602 calls wfbacktrace()
Database.php line 596 calls wfdebugdiebacktrace()
MessageCache.php line 246 calls databasemysql::fetchobject()
MessageCache.php line 174 calls messagecache::loadfromdb()
MessageCache.php line 357 calls messagecache::load()
GlobalFunctions.php line 449 calls messagecache::get()
GlobalFunctions.php line 408 calls wfmsggetkey()
GlobalFunctions.php line 319 calls wfmsgreal()
OutputPage.php line 177 calls wfmsg()
OutputPage.php line 776 calls outputpage::setpagetitle()
Database.php line 476 calls outputpage::databaseerror()
Database.php line 419 calls databasemysql::reportqueryerror()
Database.php line 806 calls databasemysql::query()
Database.php line 825 calls databasemysql::select()
Article.php line 391 calls databasemysql::selectrow()
Article.php line 403 calls article::pagedata()
Wiki.php line 209 calls article::pagedatafromtitle()
Wiki.php line 48 calls mediawiki::initializearticle()
index.php line 123 calls mediawiki::initialize()

???????????????
WHAT DOES IT MEANS????????????:confused:

Unfortunately the Wikipedia idea never really worked. It was a nice idea but even when it was showing there was very little activity on it. Few people were editing it. I think that is why it went missing from Wikipedia database. Not enough activity and not enough importance to remain in existence. Therefore I think it might be better to revamp this thread and have a clear designated person who organizes the thread. What do others think?

This could be why we are finding a few references to units that have already been done as nobody knows what has already been done.

The search function, I have never had much luck with. Perhaps it is due to lag problems and thread volume but it has never really been as useful to me as it seems to be for you. I find I like indexes with links rather than a search function that is less targeted, but that's just personal preference.

search funtion is rather poor compared to trawiling through threads... mind you most of the units im looking for dont exist.

Unfortunately the Wikipedia idea never really worked. It was a nice idea but even when it was showing there was very little activity on it. Few people were editing it. I think that is why it went missing from Wikipedia database. Not enough activity and not enough importance to remain in existence. Therefore I think it might be better to revamp this thread and have a clear designated person who organizes the thread. What do others think?

This could be why we are finding a few references to units that have already been done as nobody knows what has already been done.

I don't know how active it is, but the new civ4 wiki has been invaluable to me. :)

Try googling instead of using the forum search tool. It's a bit quicker, though it sometimes picks up a meta-listing, but then search those pages with "Find on this page" IE option. Often it hits paydirt.

E.g. Google
forums.civfanatics.com civ4 unit <insert unit name/type>

or

Google

With the second being the thread number that CFC uses for the Civ4 units sub-forum.

I started making a mod with all those units and more

Top Bottom