• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Unit installation questions

aokces

Flanking III Submarine
So I just started to learn how to add new units to BtS (using CustomAssets instead of a mod). I read two tutorials, and successfully added the Colonial militia from the American Revolution Scenario in Vanilla Civ.

Then I started adding downloaded units, but clearly I'm doing something wrong. The unit graphics look fine on the Civilopedia, but when I create it in the Worldbuilder the model graphic keeps changing.
When I don't have the unit selected, the graphics are of whatever unit I've set the KFM (animation?) files to. When I have the unit selected, everything is fine again. For example I have a custom graphic scout UU using the scout animation. If I click on it to move/attack, when I select another unit, it starts using the default scout graphics again.

I also have a question about the <SHADERNIF>Art/Units/Terry/Warrior_FX.nif</SHADERNIF> tag in the art XML file. What does it do? The units I download don't have a _FX.nif file, so I just set it to the other .nif file. Also, it seems to make no difference if I delete the <shadernif> tag altogether.

<SHADERNIF>Art/Units/Terry/Warrior_FX.nif</SHADERNIF>

the SHADERNIF tag is whats used on higher definition computers. On lower res comps, the standard .nif is used. On more powerful comps, the one in the <SHADERNIF> tag is used. However, you can simply reference the same file or just use </SHADERNIF> to close it.

As for your problem, im not sure, you need to be more specific.

Thanks for the shadernif explanation.

As for being more specific, I thought I was already clear.

When I have the unit selected, the unit correctly uses its custom graphics. When it is not (when another unit is selected), the unit graphics suddenly change to whatever unit the unit's KFM file is referencing to (I dont have custom kfm file so I'm refer it to whatever animation the unit is is using).

Thanks for the shadernif explanation.

As for being more specific, I thought I was already clear.

When I have the unit selected, the unit correctly uses its custom graphics. When it is not (when another unit is selected), the unit graphics suddenly change to whatever unit the unit's KFM file is referencing to (I dont have custom kfm file so I'm refer it to whatever animation the unit is is using).

are you sure you arent just selecting the unit its based on?

e.g; If your unit uses the marine kfm, are you sure youre not just selecting a regular marine? Post a screenshot.

Do you have animations frozen? Sometimes that seems to create funny looking things w/ custom units.

Yes, that should it be.
When animations are frozen, you see the unit on which the new unit is based.

Top Bottom