Unit Limit Per Tile

What I would like to see is limits mostly in cities and not so much on the countryside. Which would force out bigger stacks into the open and most battles taking place in the open to prevent bigger armies ever reaching the cities. And I would also suggest that some buildings increase the number of allowed defenders of a city. Walls, castles and barracks for example.

Yes, I undestand what you are saying. But I think it would not be good for gameplay, once the city would be less defensible and the stacks would keep coming against them. I do not think it would take the units to the ground, once, even if the defense had to do it, the attack would focus their attack against the city, which would have lesser units than the stacks. Actually, what I see is that the tiles must be limited (like 9 to 18) and the cities also (like 18 to 36), once we have like 8 tiles around the city, so the city must have more than the double of the common tiles. The question is: what does make the AI to stack their units? But the problem is that everyone says that the AI does not even understand how to use it. It is just a shame, because it would enhace the game!

Yeah, I guess it would be hard to implement my idea in a way that works for civ4. 18 units sounds kinda ideal as it is two rows of units on my screen. It's high enough to make stack composition important and low enough to forbid monster stacks.

Yeah, I guess it would be hard to implement my idea in a way that works for civ4. 18 units sounds kinda ideal as it is two rows of units on my screen. It's high enough to make stack composition important and low enough to forbid monster stacks.

Conceptually your idea is even better than mine! The problem is just that it would force even more changes. When I thought about the question, I understood that neither up to infinity, nor only one, it would be better for gameplay a limitation, but a limitation that could be able to be implemented with minor changes, knowing the problem with the AI. You have really understood about what I thought: it was about rows (and screen) and about "simplicity". We can not delete everything about stacks in Civ4 because range units are fragile and must be near city to attack and take colateral damage of various units, the city has no selfdefense, only a shield, and need to have more than 1 unit there to defend against the tiles around and limited stack could be better than 1 unit per tile. And I think that what you want could happen this way, once the huge stacks would have to split and would occupy the ground, what would adress much more battles to the ground.

Top Bottom