1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Unit Request: Pistolman

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by sween32, Jul 24, 2003.

1. sween32

sween32 The Worthless

I need this unit for my more indepth scenario project, World of Conflict. It will be a 6/2/1 available with Nationalism (the scenario begins with the dawn of the Industrial Age) so it should be Civil War style like the Rifleman.

Some of you might say "why should I care?". Well, it could be used as a filler between Medieval Infantry and Guerilla. Having a Medieval Infantry still wondering around during the Industrial age is very annoying.

Here's an example of what I'm looking for. The hat probably needs to go, but the suspenders would be a unique touch.

Attached Files:

2. Dom Pedro II

Dom Pedro II Modder For Life

Would this be an American unit? Or should it look generic?

3. sween32

sween32 The Worthless

personally i'm using it for all the civs in the scenario. what you do with it yourself is up to you. :D

4. Ozymandias

Ozymandias I saw the Great Library burn.

alternative suggestions --

1. Kryten's Minuteman

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=959401#post959401

2. UtahJazz7's Villista

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=832659#post832659

-- tell me you don't already have that one in yuor personal library ! ;)

3. Likewise his American Indian Musketman --

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=797119#post797119

4. Or Kinboat's Adventurer --

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=552505#post552505

5. Not to mention the Boer Rifleman --

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=505915#post505915

Just digging around, as usual :yeah: --

Oz

5. sween32

sween32 The Worthless

those are being used in the scenario already with the exception of the minuteman and indian musketman. the boer was actually made for the scenario for south africa's uu, the adventurer is the explorer for expansionist civs, and the villista is mexicos uu.

the thing is that the scenario is from 1800 to 2050, so i have to add extra units like this. using the units of this age the way they are would be boring since the ancient age in the regular game is full of unit stat variations. for example, the colonial musketman takes the place of the spearman (2/5/1), the industrial swordsman is like the warrior (4/4/1). once you get horses you can make cavalry (6/3/3) and dragoons (4/3/3). with nationalism comes the rifleman (4/6/1) and pistolman (6/2/1) which takes the place of the archer as being cheap with a good attack.

6. Dom Pedro II

Does it go in increments of months?

7. Ozymandias

All things (except cost -- e.g., resource requirements) being equal, won't the AI always build the unit with the highest attack factor? - at least, if offensive strategy is checked?

8. sween32

sween32 The Worthless

yes it does go in increment of months.

the AI has been handling it very well. not too much pistolmen being made, it is more geared to keep building the cavalry.

anyways, i really need this unit and it will be pretty cool to have available too.

9. Smoking mirror

Smoking mirror Ships Captain

Hmmm... I was thinking of making a pistoleer but it would be primaraly for a 1700s early musket type unit. He would also have a sword (prolly a cutlas or sabre), being a scirmishing type of unit, but with his cheap cost low deffence and high attack value he would be mostly used for attacking enemy cities or entrenched units. Pesonaly I hate always using cavalry for seige opperations, I guess its just geared that way to help the AI use an easy strategy. In reality when a walled or fortified city was taken by force it was usualy done by lightly equiped troops with short swords, or pistols or whatever suited the era.
    I supose we both want to fill the same battlefield role, but with different eras.

I think this unit would be good to have though, specialy with modified rules, Though I would recomend two pistols or a sword/knife and pistol.

The guy I'm thinking of making would either look like a witchfinder general (with puritan style clothes and two flintlock pistols), or a dismounted conquisador with a pistol and sabre.

10. sween32

sween32 The Worthless

that would be cool, too. but like you said i'm looking for something later in the tech tree. but you should still go for it. sounds like that one would be useful, too.

11. Dom Pedro II

I'm afraid I really couldn't do this any time in the near future... but if none of the 3D unit makers want to or even can do it by mid-August, maybe some enterprising cut and paster will do it because there'll be a pistol animation in the CnP pack...

No, I know... I swear this wasn't supposed to be a shameless plug. :lol: I really am offering it as a suggestion.

sween, I'm sad you haven't made any leaderheads in a long time... :(

12. sween32

sween32 The Worthless

bump

13. Kinboat

Kinboat Conan the Librarian

I have a man-at-arms unit that is supposed to replace the medieval infantry around the end of the Medieval age... his first attack is with a wheellock pistol and then he switches to a sword. If this really doesn't fit in then I'll try a version with just the pistol.

14. Bjorn Bjornson

Bjorn Bjornson Libertarian

I'd like to see a similar unit, to be an upgrade for my Town Guard. Like a Sheriff or Marshall.

What is that man-at-arms unit called, Kinboat? I don't like the sword, but a wheel-lock pistol would be great - is it in a single attack flc or do you have 2 attack flcs?

15. Kinboat

Kinboat Conan the Librarian

It's in two attacks... I'm actually going to post 5 or 6 units this weekend and the Man-at-Arms is one of them.

16. Kal-el

Kal-el Deity

Looking forward to the big release. :)

17. Tacit_Exit

Tacit_Exit King

Ahhh, the sleeping giant awakes :goodjob:

18. Ozymandias

... So is putting him on horseback, making him wave his sword, attack firing the pistol while racing in circles, and calling him a "Reiter" that difficult?:D

Just kidding.

-Oz

19. pesoloco

pesoloco Civ-aholic

20. sween32

sween32 The Worthless

kinboat, the man at arms can be used but earlier in the game.

anybody interested in making basically an american civil war officer?