Unit Size

Larger units (as in physically larger) should be harder to damage but easier to hit and harder to make, while smaller units should be easier to damage but harder to hit and easier to make.

The physical dimensions of the unit and the weight of the unit should be specified. For instance, a single human would be 170 CM, 50 kg, while a tank should be 3 meters long, 20 tons.

There could also be an 'average animal' size scaler for greater risk and reward. The larger the animals are, the more meat you can gain from them through hunting and farming, but the more risk predators pose in the early game. As late as the Iron Age, Alexander's soldiers refused to go into India because of the war elephants used there (among many other reasons). Now imagine elephant-sized lions.

This would also differentiate Civ's world from earth, for players like I who would prefer non-earth worlds.

Larger units (as in physically larger) should be harder to damage but easier to hit and harder to make, while smaller units should be easier to damage but harder to hit and easier to make.

The physical dimensions of the unit and the weight of the unit should be specified. For instance, a single human would be 170 CM, 50 kg, while a tank should be 3 meters long, 20 tons.

There could also be an 'average animal' size scaler for greater risk and reward. The larger the animals are, the more meat you can gain from them through hunting and farming, but the more risk predators pose in the early game. As late as the Iron Age, Alexander's soldiers refused to go into India because of the war elephants used there (among many other reasons). Now imagine elephant-sized lions.

This would also differentiate Civ's world from earth, for players like I who would prefer non-earth worlds.
Then again, an armoured units has less tanks - and men - than an infantry unit has men, by a significant margin, in realistic practice.

honestly, it should be volume (cubed) and weight.
That's not how it tends to work on a battlefield. Tanks, ususually, form a column and juggernaut through the middle, unless anti-tank or air power make that prohibitive. Infantry fan out into entrenched positions into smaller units.

That's not how it tends to work on a battlefield. Tanks, ususually, form a column and juggernaut through the middle, unless anti-tank or air power make that prohibitive. Infantry fan out into entrenched positions into smaller units.
hmm, you're right. how would you make unit size and weight matter

hmm, you're right. how would you make unit size and weight matter
It doesn't, at the global scope of a Civ game. It's the same scope, exactly, in that regard, as Risk, Supremacy, and Axis & Allies, and an immensely greater temporal scope. That's why I point out such mechanics as 1UPT as being bizarre and nonsensical.

It doesn't, at the global scope of a Civ game. It's the same scope, exactly, in that regard, as Risk, Supremacy, and Axis & Allies, and an immensely greater temporal scope. That's why I point out such mechanics as 1UPT as being bizarre and nonsensical.
got it.

now that I think of it, would elephant or rhino sized carnivores change world history?

@Boris Gudenuf what's your opinion
Since both Neanderthals and Sapiens Sapiens were hunting Mastodons and Mammoths and Cave Bears (the largest of all the Bruins known) with stone points, spears and bows, anything perceived as a threat, like carnivores (the Cave Bears for instance - notice that there aren't any around for the last several thousand years or so), would have been exterminated before anybody knew how to write 'world history'. Humans have been the apex predators on this planet for at least 100,000 years, and no other land animal has been able to compete.

This seems like one of those ideas for realism’s sake that I don’t think would add much to the game or make sense.

Since both Neanderthals and Sapiens Sapiens were hunting Mastodons and Mammoths and Cave Bears (the largest of all the Bruins known) with stone points, spears and bows, anything perceived as a threat, like carnivores (the Cave Bears for instance - notice that there aren't any around for the last several thousand years or so), would have been exterminated before anybody knew how to write 'world history'. Humans have been the apex predators on this planet for at least 100,000 years, and no other land animal has been able to compete.
If talking about graphics. I ain't no fan of Disney style cartoons. actually i'd rather prefer Anime style over this one.

yep. even if the average wolf weighs 600 kg and the average bear 10 tons, it wouldn't stop humans from wiping them out.

i think it might cause an ecological crisis as a lot more carnivore species get wiped out due to their large size.

yep. even if the average wolf weighs 600 kg and the average bear 10 tons, it wouldn't stop humans from wiping them out.

i think it might cause an ecological crisis as a lot more carnivore species get wiped out due to their large size.
Only if there are enough humans to fill all the available space.

For instance, between climate change (end of the last major glaciation) and hunting by newly-introduced humans between about 15,000 and 10,000 BCE, in North America alone the dire wolf, giant ground sloth, and long-toothed cat ("saber-toothed Tiger") all went extinct. Their places were taken by timber wolves, western Brown Bears (of which the Grizzly is a sub-species), cougars, and other smaller but just as efficient hunter species. Those, in turn, didn't start becoming scarce until the human population of North America reached about 50 - 100,000,000 in the 19th century. As long as there's Room, there will be something filling the niches of predator and prey and the feedback between hunter and hunted is generally kept balanced. Humans ar the outliers, with alternate food sources to hunting (omnivores) so they can and do wipe out all the large species in an area, plant crops and never notice that the local environment is much less diverse and more fragile because of their activities.

Top Bottom