1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Unit Textures

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by Mjalnar, May 19, 2014.

1. Mjalnar

Mjalnar Kitten Arsonist

Hey, I'm planning to make a mod, and it's been going smoothly, except when I began to make the unique units - I cannot find the textures for the Civ units anywhere - not on my computer, not on google, not on any forums. Nowhere. Could anyone tell me how to access them on my computer? Or link me to an internet database of Civ 5 unit textures?

Thanks.

2. Nutty

Nutty Deity

3. Mjalnar

Mjalnar Kitten Arsonist

And where are the FPK files? I can't find them anywhere, they're all just XML, SQL and Lua

4. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

A good search tool is almost a pre-req for modding ...

In the sub-directories under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\resource"

5. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

Images are in the resource/DX9 folder.

6. Mjalnar

Mjalnar Kitten Arsonist

Thanks - sorry for all the rather amateurish questions. This is my first time modding... Anything... :p But I have a lot of experience with graphic design, I just needed somewhere to apply it, so I plan to be taking up modding.

7. Caden335

Caden335 Chieftain

Quick question. Will unpacking them make them useless to use ingame?

8. Nutty

Nutty Deity

If you want to do that kind of modding, you could make edits, move the files to the Assets folder (anywhere under Assets), and add "LooseFilesOverridePAK = 1" to your config.ini.

Otherwise, if you're making a proper mod, you would add the files to your mod in ModBuddy, and set them VFS=true. Note that you may be required to reload the specific subsystem (e.g., "Reload Unit System", "Reload Landmark System") for it to be effective (though I believe there's some stuff that can't be retextured via mod), and would require either the manual copy method described above, or making a fake DLC (which still requires copying it to your Assets folder).

squizzle7 likes this.
  9. squizzle7

squizzle7 Chieftain

How would one reload the specific subsystem?

10. LeeS

LeeS Imperator