Units : Animation for Army Truck

Dark Sheer

Deity
Here is the animation file for Truck as requested by GenPatton :D. Its modeled after the WWII truck used by the Allies (as can be seen in the Civilopedia icon ;) ). The unit does not show at 45 degree when moving SE as I was using the frame for Modern Armor as a base and the truck is a bit too long to get it at 45 degree ;) As usual, you need to use either the hacked Civ3Edit or Gramphos' Civ3CopyTool to create a new unit call Truck. If you uses the hacked Civ3Edit then do remember to create a folder under Civilization III\Art\units named Truck (Civ3CopyTool will automatically create the folder for you). [These instructions are getting old :lol: ]

Just unzip the file and copy everything except the two pcx files to this new directory. The two pcx files are Civilopedia icons and they should go to Civilization III\Art\Civilopedia\Icons\units.

No file is being replaced here so you should be safe to install this new unit even if this is your first time ;)

The files in the zip are as follow:

TruckDefault.flc
TruckRun.flc
TruckDeath.flc
Truck.INI
TruckRun.wav
TruckDeath.wav
Trucklarge.pcx
Trucksmall.pcx

Again, please give some feedback on this animation, be it good or bad :D

Attachments

• truck.zip
    301 KB · Views: 3,436
Here is how the unit looks like in the game. Again, put next to Modern Armor and Mech Inf for comparison purposes ;)

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 6,797
Why not to zoom it out, so it would be able to do SE or whatever direction ? It would be more realistc also.

Don't wanna be see from this website anymore on google!

Attachments

• truckrun.gif
    truckrun.gif
    49.9 KB · Views: 8,702
Well done "MAster of Unit Creation" !

Go on with your good work!

Whats about some FANTASY UNITS Dark Sheer ?

It looks great Dark Sheer, Thanks for your help in designing this for me. It will work perfectly for the unit I am implementing.

Thanks Again for taking the time to create it!

dsaidon:

Thanks again for the animated gif :D
But there seems to be some part missing?

MrNapolean:

Fantasy unit such as dragons, orcs, trolls? Maybe, but in the mean time I would rather concentrate on real life unit first ;) Next in the pipeline, Scud launcher for Scipio Africanu :D

GenPatton:

I am glad its to your specification. And don't worry about the time for designing, I take everyone as a new challenge :D In fact, I find getting the first frame up to be the most interesting part and the rest are just repeating work :)

maybe you will find time later designing some fantasy units.

Until than i am awaiting your next creation !

;-)

two things.
1) It does seem a bit large. Should be as small as the tank.

2) What does it actually do? Can I add units to it like a transport ship? What are it's A/D/M ?

Keep up the great work!

Originally posted by gorilladf
two things.
1) It does seem a bit large. Should be as small as the tank.

2) What does it actually do? Can I add units to it like a transport ship? What are it's A/D/M ?

Keep up the great work!

Ummm...I always thought the truck is taller than a tank (after taking into consideration the canvas top etc) and about the same lenght if not longer ;) And I must say the Modern Armor has a extremely low profile in Civ3 :D

As to the stats, I might give it something like 1/4/2 or 1/3/2. Someone has suggested 0/0/2 but I doubt that the AI will know how to use it if it is 0/0/2 and not an offensive or defensive unit since there is no land transport strategy in Civ3 ;)

Originally posted by MrNapolean
...units from Lord of the Ring..

That can be done. But since there is no scenario making capability for Civ3 at the moment I will only do these units later. I do have a book on Tolkien's characters so to speak ;) And I am no stranger to fantasy units too since I have been playing Ultima Online for 4 years (as Dark Sheer as well :D)

Originally posted by mariano
Where can I download these normal looking, angular railroads??

Go to Apolyton and look under files (or creation can't remember :D) and look for Skunky Burn's Civ2 railroads :)

The unit looks great Dark Sheer, good work, as always. Though I sorta see someone named General Patton requesting a conveyance (truck or um, cart) sorta ironic figgerin' how the old boy went out.

This unit kicks butt :goodjob: You are a god, a day doesnt go by Dark Sheer that you dont impress me even more. :lol: Keep up the good work, also you should compile one mass patch or mod of all your units to be in, I mean cause off the top of my head this has to be the 3rd of yours I can remember on this board. :)

Is there any settings that will allow the AI to make use of this unit? Since there's no "transport" function for the ground units, I fear this unit would be very unbalancing, allowing me to use footsoldiers in my assaults, but leaving the computer using the truck for offense or defense.

Has anyone seen the computer use this thing intelligently? If so, did they mount an invasion with it or just use it once by coincidence?

hi. I dont know y but every time i try to build "Truck" my game crashes to the desktop. I put the wave files in the folder truck and the pedia icons in the right place and i put the files in the right folders. But every time my game crashes. I have no clue as to why this happens. Can u help me on this one? Thanx alot DS.

Originally posted by Civanator
hi. I dont know y but every time i try to build "Truck" my game crashes to the desktop. I put the wave files in the folder truck and the pedia icons in the right place and i put the files in the right folders. But every time my game crashes. I have no clue as to why this happens. Can u help me on this one? Thanx alot DS.

1) Make sure the unit in your bic file is named Truck
2) Make sure the folder name is also Truck
3) Make sure the ini file is Truck.ini

As long as you didn’t change the content of the ini file, and the sound file is dropped into the same folder, the unit should work fine.

From what you have said, the game crash when you try to build Truck. This can only be due to either 1, 2 or 3 above. Civ3 always crash when it cannot find the folder with the same unit name or cannot find the ini with the same name in the folder.

:king:

Dark Sheer,

after you are finished with the HumVee, the Caravan and whatever else you have gotten yourself into, could you make a freight unit. It would probably be similar to this truck of yours, but more like a tractor-trailor, big rig, semi-truck.

thanks,

Kal-el

Top Bottom