Units: New Animation for Crossbowman

Nice work on the crossbowman. I incorporated it into a mod I'm working on where I needed it to replace the longbowman, which I'm using as the UU for the English. {BTW: I'm hereby officially requesting your permission to use this when I finish the mod and put it up here for others to check out. I'll put a credit for ya in the readme, naturally} A couple of questions though...

1)I got the unit added, using the updated units_32.pcx file you provided in the Frigate thread {thanks again!}, and I also installed the two Civiliopedia images in the correct directory, but when I pull up the entry for the crossbowman in the Civilopedia, the image displayed is a greatly-enlarged version of the one in the units_32.pcx file (complete with that awful pink background) rather than the special 'pedia one. I also noticed that the small 'pedia icon has a blue background, unlike all the other units. How do I fix this? :confused:

2) I'd like to edit that units_32.pcx file to take out all the extra stuff I won't be using, and also remove the numbers that are beside the units. What program would you recommend for this?

First, you (actually anyone) have my full permission to use the crossbowman in any mod they like. He was my second unit animation created (first being the terrorist ;) )

As to the Civilopedia image, the original one done by me do not have a background problem as I modified it from the pikeman. I remember that later Kal-el did an improved version by enlarging the crossbow. So technically you should not have one with a pink background like in the units_32.pcx. Are you sure you are using the correct Civilopedia icons? :confused:

If you need to remove the additional icon, you can just use a program like Microsoft Paint that comes with Windows. All you need to do is to erase the unwanted icons. Do remember that if you have patch 1.21f installed then you no longer need to put the workers, settlers and leaders icons as the last eight. In fact, they SHOULD NOT be the last 8 or your in game icons will screw up....a complete opposite of the previous patch (1.16 and 1.17 requires them to be the last 8).

Hope that helps. :king:

As to the Civilopedia image, the original one done by me do not have a background problem as I modified it from the pikeman. I remember that later Kal-el did an improved version by enlarging the crossbow. So technically you should not have one with a pink background like in the units_32.pcx. Are you sure you are using the correct Civilopedia icons?
It's not using the 'pedia image at all. It's using the small one from unit_32.pcx...not sure why. Is there a particular naming convention or something for those large and small image files? I put both in the Art\Civilopedia\Icons\Units subdir, but noticed all the other files there have numbers in front of them. Is there a specific naming convention I have to use or something?
If you need to remove the additional icon, you can just use a program like Microsoft Paint that comes with Windows.
I don't know about other versions of Windows, but the version of Paint that comes with Windows 2000 Pro won't open PCX files. Kodak ImageVue will, but I can only VIEW them with that app.
:(

OK, I did some poking around on the 'net and located a program called UniView that will convert between BMP and PCX format. I then converted the units_32 file to BMP, made my changes, and saved it back as PCX. Then I went back into Civ3Edit and pointed the unit def for crossbowman to icon #66. Everything looked good at that point, so I saved and exited, then fired up Civ3 to check my work. The crossbowman shows up in the game and on the city build queue like it should (as before) but in Civilopedia, when viewing the entry I created for the Crossbowman, I get a black box instead of my picture.
:cry:
Also, when I view the index list, all the other units are displayed in small boxes, but (again) the crossbowman entry shows up as a small back box next to his link. Isn't there a file somewhere with pointers to the pictrures that I can edit to correct thisd issue?

Thanks in advance!

OK, I figured out the Civilopedia problem: Once I added an entry for crossbowman to the "PEDIAICONS.TXT" file, the correct picture came right up. However, now with my modified UNITS_32.PCX file, the game crashes whenever I build my first city while trying to switch to the city screen. All I did was tack the crossbowman icon to the end of that file. Ideas, anyone?

The palette for the units_32.pcx file seems to be messed up. I have corrected the palette. Try replacing your units_32.pcx with the attachment. :)

That seems to have resolved the problem. Is there a way to force MS Paint to load the correct pallette with the file? I couldn't tell it was off just by looking at it... At any rate, thanks a bunch for all your help!
:goodjob:
Now that I have the units set up like I want, I can start tinkering with other gameplay issues.

Anyone have any suggestions for the proper stats (attack, defense, , movement, cost) and prequesites for this unit? I initially used 4 attack, 1 defense, and 1 move. I made the cost 1 more gold than the longbowman but the prereq tech as feudalism. Which means possible access to the unit before longbowman. I'm not really happy with these stats though and am open to better ideas.

Also, does someone have good sounds for this unit? Currently, I'm just using the bowman sounds but think that there should be a better thunk-sound when scoring a hit.

Similar to the above....

Crossbow: attack 4, defence 1, move 1, cost 40, no resources required, and ALL civs can build it (you'll notice that this is exactly the same as the Civ3 Longbowman).

Longbowman (renamed 'Yeoman'): attack 4, defence 3, move 1, cost 50, no resources required, English unique unit which does NOT cause a 'golden age' (in reality, only the English used longbows, but their golden age began in the 18th, not the 14th century).

The defence of 3 look a little high? I should do. What does a longbowman use to defend himself? Why, the same weapon that he uses to attack with...the longbow! Think how long it takes to cross two or three hundred yards/paces/meters while this bloke is loosing off some 12 volleys a minute at you! :eek:
(A crossbow is lucky to get off 2 shots a minute, so a defence of one looks about right for him)

Also, I like to give all units armed with ranged weapons a ZOC (to represent the fact that they can shoot at passing enemy columns without suffering any casulties themselves), AND, I like to give missle units a modest defensive bombardment with a range of zero (so that they can help protect their stack and, maybe, weaken or disrupt the enemy as they cross the killing ground.
So I give both these units a bombardment factor of 3 (which is less than the Catapult's 4), but the 'Yeoman', because of his rapid rate of fire, I give a rate-of-fire factor of 2.

I bet you wish you'd never asked now! :lol:

Maybe I'm being picky, but he looks like he's shooting little AIM-9 Sparrow missiles!

Can we PLEASE start punishing poeple for this???

Is there no way to lock a thread after, say, 3 years of no one posting to it? Even if the file is missing, I would advocate PMing the creator or posting a new topic in Creation and Customization.

If the guy is gone you can PM him as long as you want... a new topic would be fine. I agree this is anoying, anyway I'd say: let it die again. Don't post and the thread necro will be forgotten in a week. That's what I usually do, except for this time of course ;)

Moderator Action: People, it's annoying when someone bumps a thread like this. It's not against the site rules. If they do it deliberately or repeatedly then it is spamming. If someone just doesn't realise how old a thread is, it's a mistake. Deal with it.

Top Bottom