Units : Western#2 - Animation for Canoe

Dark Sheer

Deity
Here is my second contribution towards western / colonization mods. The Indian Canoe! :D

I have not done any Civilopedia entries this time as this one is rushed out (I am 2 hours away from catching my connecting flight to Beijing. So anything after this one I will be posting from Beijing ;) )

The zip file contains the following:

Canoe.ini
CanoeDefault.flc
CanoeRun.flc
CanoeCaptured.flc
CanoeDeath.flc
CanoeCapture.wav
CanoeFidget.wav

Once again, any feedback on this animation is welcomed. :)

version 1 removed after 212 downloads. The new version no longer has the light shadow around the unit. ;)

Attachments

• canoe.zip
    168.9 KB · Views: 1,613
Here is a view of the Canoe's run animation.

Attachments

• canoerun_sw.gif
    canoerun_sw.gif
    9.3 KB · Views: 5,063
I started a thread on this, but it's been ignored... Will someone please tell me how to get these units to work with world maps, like marla's and others? I have the multi-tool, but when I copy the units, they just won't show up on maps, not even a chance to build them, just like they're not there. But, they do work just fine on regular random maps... Please please! I would like to make this an american civ-only unit, but for me its no fun playing on random maps!

Great stuff Dark Sheer. Have you had a chance to think about that Outrigger I asked you for? I sure would appreciate it. I think I'll use this one for now at any rate. Thanks.

Willem : I got your Outrigger graphics downloaded and I will be working on it in Beijing (This post IS from Beijing ;) )

Oh, and I notice there is a light shadow around the canoe unit so I will try to remove that and post a revised version as soon as possible next week (I am leaving for Shanxi tomorrow night, so... :p )

I have gotten all the various graphics for those who have requested for some units (Viking Longboat, Humvee (Almost done ;) ) and also those fantasy units request by linkb) and I will be working on them as soon as I can (of course, when I am not playing Civ3 :D )

Originally posted by Dark Sheer
Willem : I got your Outrigger graphics downloaded and I will be working on it in Beijing (This post IS from Beijing ;) )

Thanks for keeping me informed, I'm looking forward to the final product.:goodjob:

Great unit, beautiful, but, and forgive me if I sound heathen or primitive or something now, what exactly is it supposed to DO?
I mean, a boat with a capture animation?

Huh?

I plan perhaps to give it to the Iroquois and Aztecs and have it only move 1 space a turn and be coastal. In addition they won't be allowed to build triremes :p

I am thinking of adding it to my "Unit-Mania" modpack as a sort of "Sea-borne Scout" with stats
Attack 0
Defense 0
Move 2
Cost 2
"Carry None"
"Sink in Sea/Ocean"
and available at the start of the game to all Civs
(no Tech prerequisite).

This would allow the player to at least explore their coastline prior to the discovery of Map-Making & availability of Galleys.

Rationale - Primitive societies have been sailing canoes / rafts for the past 60,000 years, that's how Australia initially got populated by humans several tens of thousands of years ago - also speeds up the early discovery part of the game.

Nice work Dark Sheer :D How is the work progressing on removing the hazy background?

Thankyou thankyou for having a Capture animation!!
Your canoe is now my coracle -- in my mod, coracles can be built from the start, move 2, carry nothing, and lacks attack and defense values. So these defenseless little boats roam the sea in my world until the galley comes along; with 2 movement points, players will be challenged to move them from one continent to the next. The boats have the same ability as Pirateers too -- but in this case it means the enemy will steal them first chance they get!

Even if I find unit graphics for a real coracle, which was round and not canoe-shaped, it will make an excellent flavor unit for the Iroquis.

Originally posted by Razorwing
Nice work Dark Sheer :D How is the work progressing on removing the hazy background?

Thankyou thankyou for having a Capture animation!!
Your canoe is now my coracle -- in my mod, coracles can be built from the start, move 2, carry nothing, and lacks attack and defense values. So these defenseless little boats roam the sea in my world until the galley comes along; with 2 movement points, players will be challenged to move them from one continent to the next. The boats have the same ability as Pirateers too -- but in this case it means the enemy will steal them first chance they get!

Even if I find unit graphics for a real coracle, which was round and not canoe-shaped, it will make an excellent flavor unit for the Iroquis.

I'm not sure whether you noticed it or not, but giving 0 defence/attack means the AI has no strategy option in order to understand what do with that unit. If it ever builds one, it will just end up sitting there in the harbour doing nothing.

As for the Coracle, have you had a look at the Chinese junk? It sort of fits your description.

Top Bottom