1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Universal Suffrage

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Sam_Catchem, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Beamup

Beamup Higgs boson

That was in 2. In 3, they appear to be cumulative, so yes, you'll be better off with US and PS together.

2. eyrei

eyrei Deity Retired Moderator

Universal Suffrage is particularly useful under republic. I have had wars rage for hundreds of years under republic with no Universal Suffrage when I am not the aggressor, and then wars of aggression last for 50+ turns with universal suffrage. War weariness under Democracy is very powerful, while under republic, it is nothing but an annoyance.

3. Axraxes

Axraxes Chieftain

Regarding war weariness - I have noticed when you first go to war it does not kick in right away - I guess you get what they call a "honeymoon period."

Once war weariness kicks in though and you make peace if you go to war again it seems like war weariness kicks in immediately - there is no longer a "honeymoon period."

Has anyone else noticed this? Do you have to wait a certain number of turns before going to war again to get that "honeymoon period" again?

4. Black Waltz

Black Waltz Prince

When in a democratic or Rebulic, if you are declared war against ou get a slight happiness boost for a few turns before things start to go downhill, whereas if you are the aggresor the enemy get the boost. And if you wage war continually - with a few turns of peace in between - your civilians will still remember that you have been to war and will therefore become unhappy again.

5. hoyatables

hoyatables Chieftain

You both are correct - war weariness does take a few rounds to kick in, and it does return quickly if you make peace and then go to war again.

Here's an interesting qurik - with militaristic Civs, I've discovered that in a Republic/Democracy, war can actually cause happiness, and peace can end it. I believe it was a confluence of circumstances - I had three or four armies in the field and a decent set of units to complement them; I had a distinct advantage over my opponent and a chance to wipe them out. So I started fighting, captured my "key" cities, and made peace. My core cities actually ended their celebrations. When I redeclared war after a city flipped, everyone became happy again (that is, except those nationals of my opponent. I know I had no police stations, but I think I had constructed Universal Suffrage.

An additional point - with militaristic Civs + Heroic Epic, you can really crank out Great Leaders with a little luck. Try jumping right to Infantry in the Industrial Age and then goading the weak enemy with longbowmen to attack you - your infantry will be near invincible and you have a good chance of getting a leader or three.