Unpopular Opinion Thread

Golden Ages are over-rated. I will often settle a GP or bulb rather than start a Golden Age, and I don't do anything with Great Engineers, I save them for corps or rushing a project.

Despite people saying "by turn X, you should have chopped ALL the forests in your territory!", I never let a landmass bigger than, like, three tiles get completely deforested because I'd rather have a constant stream of extra production from lumbermill + railroad later on than a few extra early buildings.

Also:
Golden Ages are over-rated. I will often settle a GP or bulb rather than start a Golden Age, and I don't do anything with Great Engineers, I save them for corps or rushing a project.

I agree! I usually settle them, especially Great Merchants for the extra food and commerce, and use Engineers for urgently-needed Wonders.

I love idustrial , modern and future eras and I always play them :)
I like corporations and espionage
I don't have reservations/regrets from using WB to fix RNG's stupid mistakes (like loosing with 99.9 % chances to win)
I don't like rushes / early wars and wars in general and DoW's just to steal a worker
I like settling GP's in a city specializing it stronger instead of bulbing/beelining
I don't like bulbing
I like to build everything everywhere when I can :D
I don't like medieval church music - makes me sleepy .... yawn :D
I don't like playing strictly to win stressing myself - I only play casually :) also don't care if I win or what's the score gonna be.
oh and I build theatre first instead of granary xD

I hate the modern music soundtrack. I usually turn it off and change it to appropriate decade music. Al Bowly, then some Jubilee music, then some Isley Brothers, then some Beatles, Doors, Bee Gees, then some T Rex, Talking Heads, Joy Division... I mean, the modern music soundtrack just can't compete.

I hate the modern music soundtrack. I usually turn it off and change it to appropriate decade music. Al Bowly, then some Jubilee music, then some Isley Brothers, then some Beatles, Doors, Bee Gees, then some T Rex, Talking Heads, Joy Division... I mean, the modern music soundtrack just can't compete.

you had me at beatles

Prophets are for religions, shrines and rushing Divine Right. I do save artists for golden ages, and perhaps I should do the same with the third or fourth Spy. First merchant is going for Metal Casting or Code of Laws. The rest get settled.

oh and I build theatre first instead of granary xD
I'm with you there (or at least some sort of cultural building first).

I hate the modern music soundtrack.
You do realize that this is the Unpopular Opinion Thread, don't you? :lol:

My unpopular opinion is that the Hagia Sophia isn't always such a bad build.

My unpopular opinion is that the Hagia Sophia isn't always such a bad build.

Hagia Sophia ftw :D (I like getting my improvements up asap, and I hate serfdom...)

Personally, I do not like building mounted units at all with the occasional exception of Calvary, but even then..... they blow up so fast :(.

I hate starting wars before I build Rifleman/Redcoats.

I quite like it too:p

I don't like even listening to the standard stock music in game, I prefer putting my own up for every era :p

That's what was so great about civ 2, you could choose which song from the soundtrack to play when you wanted it to

Best thing about Civ II was how fast turns went. Oh, and the advisors.

And the wonder movies. But the advisors were very nice.

I like all of the era music. IMO Civ4 has the best soundtrack in the series. I actually like the modern era music enough that I went out and bought some more John Adams music.

The modern soundtrack is much too futuristic, and it clashes with the very definitive music used for all the other time periods.

I think part of the problem may be that there's no one answer for what constitutes definitive music for the modern era. You could make a case for rock and roll, but it's certainly not the only type of music that's prevalent, and it probably wouldn't be the best choice in terms of complementing the game as opposed to distracting from it.

So Firaxis went with a minimalistic modern classical composer's music. It's distinct from the previous era's classical music and not as distracting as some of the other modern choices. The futuristic sound is a carryover from Civ3, where the modern era is even more futuristic sounding, and not as high-quality in general.

There may have been better options, but in the end I think Soren Johnson did very well selecting the soundtrack for Civ4. Speaking of which, these are his comments on the modern music (from here):

Soren Johnson said:
The repertoire from modern period is much more varied than that of any other era’s, which meant that finding a consistent style and tone would be difficult. Furthermore, the chaotic structure and casual dissonance of much of modern music would be a difficult match for the mainstream audience of Civ. John Adams is a singular composer from this era; even though he is as well-schooled in minimalism as Glass or Reich, he composes with the heart of a Romantic. His works have a certain movement and thrust to them which makes them a better fit for the less experienced ears of the average player. By using only Adams, I was able to maintain stylistic consistency for the era while also finding a palatable way to stay true to the stylistic innovations of the periods.

I would like add that I will always be grateful to whoever at 2K Games actually approved by request to include so much John Adams. The price was not low, and it was certainly an idiosyncratic choice. I was somewhat expecting them to balk at it, and I’m glad they supported me. (I have similar feelings for them approving the Velvet Underground’s “Rock and Roll” as the background piece for the Rock and Roll wonder; so many other cheaper (or more expensive) paths could have given that moment a very cliched tone.)

One golden age is. 5 or more powered by MoM is not.

For me, HoF is overrated, because they allow map picking, huts, and random events.

Hmm... I'll try:

• I always build Stonehenge. Always. Except when someone beat me to it.
  • Creative Constructions is Cool!
  • I rarely specialize my cities.
  • Early-game wars & rushes are not fun.
  • Slavery is overrated
  • I love trees :D so I almost never strip my early cities clean of Forests. Except Jungles; they have to go!

As you can see, I'm such a Casual user :p

One golden age is. 5 or more powered by MoM is not.
Maybe so, but I can think of better things to do with Great People.

Hmm... I'll try:

• I always build Stonehenge. Always. Except when someone beat me to it.
  • Creative Constructions is Cool!
  • I rarely specialize my cities.
  • Early-game wars & rushes are not fun.
  • Slavery is overrated
  • I love trees :D so I almost never strip my early cities clean of Forests. Except Jungles; they have to go!

As you can see, I'm such a Casual user :p

I'm with You ! :goodjob: except I do specialize cities ;) I forgot to mention first time I was posting that I do love forests too and I always leave a few for aesthetics ! Can't bear to look on a barren landscape (without trees) ! ;) It's so ... unsightly :D I wish there was a city improvement (like a park or something) that adds a few trees to the city view here and there and perhaps a little health bonus :)

Top Bottom