Unraging barbarians

AlanH11

Chieftain
Do Civ5 barbarians ever rage?
In all the games I've played, (including my current one with the barbarian option set to raging,) they sit meekly in their hideouts just taking everything you throw at them until they're gone. The ones that get out are also docile.
Maybe they grow teeth on higher levels?
The Civ2 barbarians were much better.

In Civ V, all the "raging barbarians" advanced option does is increase spawn rate of barb units from camps.

My brother has serious problems with barbs. When he was playing as Venice, they totally ruined his game by constantly destroying all of his trade routes. Or we played our first multiplayer. I was Siam, he was Japan, and he had three or four barb encampments near Kyoto. The barbs were burning his improvements and stealing his workers like crazy. He had horrible problems with them. Same situation occured in our second multiplayer game - I was Morocco, he was Zulu. But I guess my brother is just unlucky :p

Last edited:
King. The manual does state that barbs are less aggressive on lower levels, but King isn't a lower level.
I want to see some aggression from them, as in Civ 2.
I haven't installed the Community Patch (Vox Populi) yet. Maybe that makes a difference. I do have BNW.

I believe there's a couple mods that make barbs a menace ( like a white walkers one ). Basically makes them spawn insanely fast ( like one per turn ) and makes them able to take cities. I saw a streamer play a Deity game with that mod on and the barbs wiped out all the AIs lol.

King. The manual does state that barbs are less aggressive on lower levels, but King isn't a lower level.
I want to see some aggression from them, as in Civ 2.
I haven't installed the Community Patch (Vox Populi) yet. Maybe that makes a difference. I do have BNW.

It's either King or Prince that's the first level in which the barbs are allowed to enter your territory on turn 1; below that point there's X turns in which barb units aren't allowed to enter territory which increases as the level goes further down.

Warlord (and below) all have 1/3rd the barb unit spawn rate from camps as Prince and above. (In fact Warlord with raging barbs on has about the same rate as Prince with it off)

That's it in the base game other than the barb unit spawn rate is even higher if advanced option of raging barbs is on.

There are though some scripted maps (those with a large amount of land and little water) that as a side effect greatly increase the new barb camp creation rate. (That formula is based on both land tiles and water tiles that aren't without sight of any player including city states and weights land much more heavily.)

The community patch though greatly increases barbs (unless the "chill barbs" advanced option for that mod is selected which puts them at base game level.)

Another major issue with barbs is that the spawning falls away to nothing by the time the civs have occupied most of the land, so it makes no difference whether you have set the raging option or not. Raging barbs should appear throughout the game, on any land, just as they do when your unhappiness factor becomes too high.

Yes, the early game is just too easy. Far too easy. In one of the civs, (was it 3, or 4?), you had to contend with bears and wolves if I remember correctly.

I do believe that Civ5 will lose its appeal for me before long simply because of the lack of aggression of the AI.

Yes, the early game is just too easy. Far too easy. In one of the civs, (was it 3, or 4?), you had to contend with bears and wolves if I remember correctly.

I do believe that Civ5 will lose its appeal for me before long simply because of the lack of aggression of the AI.

That was Civ IV in which there were wild animals to fight.

As to the AI: In the base game, play on a higher difficulty level; it's the same AI but AI aggressiveness is based on the ratio of military power (as given by the military advisor / demographics screen which overweight s melee units vs ranged units); at higher difficulty levels the AI can build more units faster.

You can also game the system: Building an army that's almost entirely ranged units is much more likely to entice the AI into DOWing you vs a melee army, particularly if you keep your units a tech or two out of date rather than up to date. (And as a bonus the army that's mostly ranged with one or two melee units that are just meat shields for the ranged fights better.)

The community patch though greatly increases barbs (unless the "chill barbs" advanced option for that mod is selected which puts them at base game level.)

I'm going to load the patch for next time, and hope the options are explained in plain English, because 'chill barbs' is gibberish to me.

There is a Mod that increases barbs pretty rapidly. I have found that they attack pretty readily (but I try and maintain a small military so a bit harder to deal with them).

What was the version where a huge barbarian army would be created- you would get a warning message that a large barbarian army had spawned somewhere?

I think "chill barbs" simply means make them more docile as in chill out.

Top Bottom