Unstacking Cities Featurette

My fear in Civ6 is that with the new districs system cities will occupy a lot more ground than in previous games. You will also still need the farms/quarrys/mines/oil/etc tiles besides the distric tiles.
If maps are not big enough to acomodate that, specially Earth maps for TSL games you could find yourself i.e: only being able to place 6 cities max in western Europe landmass because you need the tiles.

You may need more cities to build different districts and wonders, but cities occupy the same amount of ground, which is a 3 tiles radius.

My fear in Civ6 is that with the new districs system cities will occupy a lot more ground than in previous games. You will also still need the farms/quarrys/mines/oil/etc tiles besides the distric tiles.
If maps are not big enough to acomodate that, specially Earth maps for TSL games you could find yourself i.e: only being able to place 6 cities max in western Europe landmass because you need the tiles.
You can of course not develop/grow your cities as much as possible and have cities placed at the minimum distance. But, also, in the live stream today, the developers said that farm tiles are not as important in the late game because there's another (unrevealed) way to get food for your city.

because there's another (unrevealed) way to get food for your city.

I don't think there is a new way to get food, just that food production becomes very efficient later so you can get more food from less farmland (like real life). Thus, in the late game, you don't need as many farms.

Ok maybe Europe was not the best example, lets take Japan, in the largest Earth Map for TSL games I remember (I think it was Gedemon map?) Japan still had very little space at game start, but that didn't prevent you from building everything in the capital and have the normal tile improvements.
That map was the max size Civ5 allowed.

If we port that exact same tiles on the map to Civ6, you'd have very little space you'd end with like...4 land districs, 4 harbour districts, and no improvements...sure, you could eureka seafaring fast and expand, but your capital total land tiles would remain the same and could become an useless city.

I'd be easier/cooler if Civ6 maps allowed bigger maps to prevent this.

I don't think there is a new way to get food, just that food production becomes very efficient later so you can get more food from less farmland (like real life). Thus, in the late game, you don't need as many farms.
Yeah. I didn't mean a completely new system necessarily. Just something that they didn't mention yet. Since housing and amenities cap growth, it could be as simple as later techs giving bonus food to farms. Could also be bonus food on neighborhoods or certain districts. But it could also be internal trade routes, or late game buildings like in Civ V.

Top Bottom