Upgrading problem?

Dilly

Chieftain
Hey all,

Im playing Chinese in a game and I have about 20horseman ready to upgrade to rider. The problem is that there is no upgrade button. This is the same for both warriors->MI and spearman->Pikeman. I have never experienced this before... is there a tech that I need to research to upgrade?? First time on Regent not sure if this is part of the new difficulty? I have both horses and iron.

Thanks!

Do you have them in a town with a barracks and enough gold?

no specific tech is required and it is not related to regent difficulty level.

are your units in cities with barracks?

argh! you beat me gma :goodjob:

Yah every city has barrack (sun tzu). I have more than enough gold. Should take like 1000g and i have >2000... i hope im not stuck with bunch of useless horseman!

Nothing to do with levels. You need 3 times the shield difference for an upgrade. You need a barracks. You need movement for the units. If you do not have enough money for all units when do a mass upgrade, it will not do any.

You need the tech for the unit upgrade, so a Horse to a Rider needs Chiv tech. You need iron and horses for Rider. They are 70 shields and a horse is 30. So you need 120 gold for each one. The resources must be in the city box, so check for road connections and harbors if on an island.

It's fixed now but I have no idea why.. I actually lost some gold during the next few turns but I also ended a war with another civ. Few turns after I ended war I could upgrade everything just fine... I thought it might have been no upgrading during war but subsequent wars I could upgrade just fine. strange!

thanks for all the help

Maybe your horses and/or iron were located in a far-away-town that was connected to your capital by a trade route which was blocked by the other civ in wartime. In that case you would have the ressource(s) available in all of your settlements after making peace only.

Twonky said:
Maybe your horses and/or iron were located in a far-away-town that was connected to your capital by a trade route which was blocked by the other civ in wartime. In that case you would have the ressource(s) available in all of your settlements after making peace only.

IMHO, that is probably the case. ;-)

Twonky said:

I was thinking the same thing! :)

Top Bottom