Upgrading to Dual Core and more RAM

Maniacal

the green Napoleon
Origional link somehow got hcanged to a different configuration...

That is the computer that (thanks to a few of you and a few people from another forum) I put together.

I want to get dual core and another gig of RAM and I am wondering if I need/should get a new motherboard, possibly with a second x16 PCI-E slot (I think my current one has only 1).

I'd prefer to spend less than $500 CAD.

http://secure.ncix.com/pcbuilder/index.php?action=getprice&id=2234715&platformid=1000

That is the computer that (thanks to a few of you and a few people from another forum) I put together.

I want to get dual core and another gig of RAM and I am wondering if I need/should get a new motherboard, possibly with a second x16 PCI-E slot (I think my current one has only 1).

I'd prefer to spend less than $500 CAD.

No. Your current motherboard is Socket 939. AthlonX2s come also come in socket 939

Unless your going for SLI you don't need a second PCI-e slot.

Also noticing that you have a DVD-ROM drive and a DVD-RW drives. Which is unneeded, unless you plan to watch a DVD at the same time as your writing to a DVD......

I'm also eyeing you PSU. I would suggest going another 50-100W to it.

And whats with the floppy? Why not get a USB flash drive instead. They have gotten so cheap that buy.com has a 1GB one from kingston for only $10 (and if you sign up with google checkout during the checkout you get $10 off)

I already have been using that computer for almost a year and a half.

The diskette was because I still had some old stuff on diskettes and my school librarie's comptuers were still Win98 at the time and didn't have USB ports.

Anyways, I've had the system since July 2006. And I want Crysis.

I've also been wondering about one of those power surge protectors (or whatever they are I forget)things since the power is knocked out by storms/trees several times a year.

Try the Crysis Demo now - based on the requirements, you won't need an upgrade, unless you insist on high settings. It at least runs on my laptop with a slightly lesser video card - but the intro movies/advertisements took so long I got bored with it and went off to watch films before I even got a weapon.

Surge protectors are a very good idea if you don't want anything to get fried. This does happen occassionally - T.A. Jones had a thread in June about his computer getting fried, and my phone line got fried in the summer of '06. Ideally you should have one on your computer, TV, stereo, and any other expensive electronics. Any electronics store will have them.

You might be thinking of Uninterruptable Power Supplies, though (surge protectors are for lightening protection, UPS'es are for lack-of-power protection). I don't know a whole lot about them, but the general idea is they provide enough power for you to save everything before shutting down if the power goes out.

@MarineCorps: Two CD drives is quite useful so you can always leave your Civ disk in one of them and switch whatever else you want in the other. That's what I used my dual-CD drives for!

USB drives really do beat flash drives, especially 2.0 ones. I have a $25, 2 GB Kingston one that works very well. I know what it's like to have to use floppies at school, though - was still doing some of that last year :(.

Yeah I'll be downloading the demo in a couple of days while I'm at work, but I still want to upgrade since I do have an income and no major costs besides gas anytime soon.

I'm wondering though, would it be much more to get quad core now instead of upgrading later or is it not really worth it yet (budget wise)?

You will need a new motherboard to go quadcore as AMD doesn't make them yet. You'd probably blow your budget if you did decide to go quadcore. That said AMD's X2 5600 and x2 6000 processors are beasts and should provide for all you gaming needs in the years to come.
My x2 4200 and Geforce 7950 have kept me gaming on high res for well over a year now and I still have no plans to upgrade.

Dual cores
Ram
UPS

I'm currently using each of those products, if you have any questions, fire away.

3800+ Toledo: Clocked at 2.8 GHz at under stock voltage.
OCZ PC3200: 4GB clocked at 250 MHz.
UPS: Power went out yesterday, and it worked fine, not really sure how long the uptime is on it, I've never tested, and haven't bothered installing the sofware.

Its just too bad that your motherboard is Socket 939 since those processors are quite rare now, and the AM 2 versions are cheaper I think. If you had a socket AM 2 you couldave bought An X2 5000+ black edition and overclocked it to 3.2 gHz, which would work quite nicely.
This is a rough estimate of what you would want:

http://secure.ncix.com/pcbuilder/index.php?action=getprice&id=2234715&platformid=1000
Now the processor though, I looked and they dont offer the black edition which is the one you would want. It costs 20$ more, but it allows you to easily overclock it since its multiplier is unlocked. That was you can boost it to 3.1 gHz without even adjusting voltage or using anything but a stock cooler ( although you wanna use something other than the stock one)

The E series C2D's have a severely reduced clock speed and L2 cache. Im not sure it would be all that great, as from the reviews Ive seen its a bit of an underperformer.

Also noticing that you have a DVD-ROM drive and a DVD-RW drives. Which is unneeded, unless you plan to watch a DVD at the same time as your writing to a DVD......
It's also useful in that you can copy CDs/DVDs a lot quicker and without needing spare hard disk space.

And to be honest, it's nice to cut down on CD swapping (especially given how many games need the CD in the drive). It's not like drives are expensive these days anyway.

Finally stopped procrastinating, I'm wondering though what is the average cost of quad core and a quadcore supportable motherboard?

Also, where is a good place to looke up these things? I looked at NCIX's list, but they list a LOT of mobos in one list, it's kind of confuzzling.

Finally stopped procrastinating, I'm wondering though what is the average cost of quad core and a quadcore supportable motherboard?

Also, where is a good place to looke up these things? I looked at NCIX's list, but they list a LOT of mobos in one list, it's kind of confuzzling.

Do you want to stay with AMD, or have you changed your mind? I'd say if you're building a an entierly new quadcore rig to go with Intel they've been on the market longer, are faster, and generally cheaper.

Do this: Look up the components on newegg, then if you wish, find them in the list on NCIX. Newegg should have reviews and you can gauge how well recieved the components are.

Do this: Look up the components on newegg, then if you wish, find them in the list on NCIX. Newegg should have reviews and you can gauge how well recieved the components are.

NCIX has reviews as well, and the top listed components in a section are those that sell the most units, which tend to have the most positive reviews. ;)

Indeed. I just noticed that. Thats twice you've corrected me on something Zelig.

Definately need a new mobo, but I still havn't decided on dual core or quad core.

In 2009 I don't want to have to upgrade to 6ghz Quad Cores because 3 ghz dual cores are horribly outdated. Likewise, I don't want to get a 3ghz quad now if in 2009 they're compeltely otudated by 6ghz quads. (as an example to get my point across).

That's kind of where I'm stuck at right now. Feel free Please to convince me either way.

Ask yourself this: Do you need the cores? And based on the last 2 years, do you think in 2 years you will do fine with a Dual Core or a Quad Core?

Top Bottom