Upgrading to Special Units

Minerva

Chieftain
Hopefully I am just being dim, but is there a way to Upgrade to a Special Unit? As the Russians I have a whole stack of Horsemen that were waiting around for me to develop Military Tradition. Now that I have they cannot upgrade even though that city can BUILD Cossacks. I tried the same experiment with teh Persians and could not upgrade Warriors to Immortals either.

I suspect that Special Units need to be built directly, but with 63 Horsemen waiting.... (They are actually Knights now since I went ahead and developened Chivalry just to see if they needed to pass though Knights first. Anyone know if Horsmen can Upgrade strait to Cavalry under normal circumstances?)

Minerva :D, horsemen should be able upgrade to cavalry or cossacks.

Have you downloaded the patch?

Also make sure you got barracks. If not build some or build Sun Tzu's War Academy(barracks in each city)

I am running 1.16f and have the War Academy. I was able to Upgrade a Horseman to a Knight, but not to Cossack. Could not Upgrade the Knight either. I can build a new Cossack in that City.

Please point out something stupid that I am missing!! I will be overjoyed!!

You are not missing anything simple.

You are correct that special units must be built directly. They interrupt the normal upgrade path. You can upgrade FROM a special unit, or upgrade SKIPPING the special unit, but never TO a special unit.

Skipping example: Chinese can upgrade horsemen and Riders to cavalry, but never horsemen to Riders.

You can change the upgrade interruption through the editor. You should check out the creation/customization forum or maybe someone can post the instructions here.

Is there a way to alter something like the Special Unit Upgrade Interuption once a game is already in progress? Or does it have to be done from the very beginning?

I have successfuly altered some game rules on saved games. I have not been gutsy enough to try editing the upgrade paths of these games.

I would suggest you ask a MODERATOR to move this thread to customization/creation or post the question there. There are quite a few experienced modders there that do not spend much time on the general forums.

The new 1.17F patch seems to address the problem of upgrading to UU's. I haven't tried this option yet, but this fix was explicitly addressed in the civ3.com home page.

Download patch 1.17. It allows you to upgrade to special units.

It wasn't FIXED in 1.17f, it was ADDED -- it was specifically NOT allowed before 1.17f.

Changed a major dynamic of the game, IMO -- makes the French, Japanese, Chinese, etc much more powerful.

and it makes the americans NOT have the weakest Air Force :)

Originally posted by simwiz2
and it makes the americans NOT have the weakest Air Force :)
The 1.17f patch does not allow Americans to upgrade fighters to F-15s. I assume this was an oversight by Firaxis. You can fix it yourself with the editor by making the jet fighter upgrade to F-15.

Top Bottom