1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

use mods?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by zatarra09, Oct 3, 2010.

?

Have you used any Mods yet?

Poll closed Oct 7, 2010.
  1. Yes I love them!

22 vote(s)
    57.9%
  2. No I like vanilla

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  3. I cant figure out how to use them yet

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  1. zatarra09

zatarra09 Chieftain

Have you used any of the Mods from the mod browser interface yet?

edit: changed Steam to Mod browser

2. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

Steam interface?

I've been using mods from the mod browser. :confused:

3. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

I want to get accustom to the game before I start piling on mods.

4. Fin

Fin Chieftain

I've browsed it and played around with a few of them. I really like the reveal map button for getting a good look at the map I'm working on. I also really like that R.E.D. mod, the one that makes the units smaller? That one's cool.

Other than that, I'm getting used to the game without them and letting there get to be more mods before I try any out seriously.

5. Xa4

Xa4 Chieftain

After two vanilla game, I'm playing with a mod, but one that just affets the UI (so I can more easily track my different resources. So I guess, I'm still playing vanilla (same taste, different color)

6. logarithm64

logarithm64 Omnipotent Space Lizard

The number diplomacy mod is extremely handy- it helps to differentiate between friendly and neutral attitudes more easily and it's nice to know how to make a civ like you through culture, happiness and military strength.

7. Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake GDR Noob

The Babylon mod is the only one I've gotten...so far.

8. DalekDavros

DalekDavros Chieftain

The first mod I tried (clock mod) broke save compatibility and didn't work anyway. So now I'm doubly cautious and waiting for another 3-6 patches (that should be, what, two weeks?) before I try any mods again.

9. Tomice

Tomice Passionate Smart-Ass

And again, a poll without enough choices :(

(X) No, I'll wait until the mods have been tested and balanced for a while.
    (X) No, the mods I'm interested in are not available yet.
    (X) I have bugs keeping me from using mods until now.

All of those are true for me. I'm keeping a close eye on balance mods, but it's too early to say if they really improve the gameplay. I have downloaded one of them for testing, but it doesn't work somehow. And I'd love to see a trading post graphic mod, but none to be found yet.

10. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Chieftain

I generally don't mod. Somehow it feels like cheating? I dunno....don't mind me.

I liek that moodding capability is easily built in though. Within a generation of games modding will be easy and will be like "house rules" for board games (you know, like $500 on Free Parking, etc.)

11. Honelith

Honelith Chieftain

I use most of the Balance mods, some economy mods and some more general balance tweaking since the vanilla is so broken.

12. zatarra09

zatarra09 Chieftain

Of the mods being made, alot of them ARE for balance, go try them and see!

If you have a mod request post it! There are a bunch of people looking for good ideas

What bug keeps you from using mods at all?

13. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

I created a mod for myself with some tweaks, and I'm still improving it. I haven't released it yet, because the in-game descriptions of some things are not updated, which can be confusing for the player. Now I'm testing it and making more changes based on the results.

In the future I'm going to create a fantasy themed full conversion mod. I know it's a lot of work, but I'm going to "borrow" most of the content from other mods :)

14. Mekajiki

Mekajiki Chieftain

Just the economy mod. Make research more expensive and production cheaper among a few other things. I like it better this way. Much more fun.

15. DrunkenPirate

DrunkenPirate Chieftain

I have been using Thalassicus' balance mods along with his new gradual research mod which slows down the tech tree in later game and it has improved the game for me immensely.
    It's really easy to grab and install the mods via the in-game interface, a big step forward in mod support IMO.