Utility: MapStat

Originally posted by tao
Regrettably, MacOS X 10.3 Panther breaks JMapStat.jar...

This seems suprising to me. I'd assume that an OS upgrade shouldn't break an older program. Are there ave any Java updates for 10.3 that are available and need to be installed?

Originally posted by lukaspl
Maybe a smal development?...

Some nice ideas in here. However, it does go beyond reading tile information, which was what Mapstat was designed for. The units can be currently be accounted for in the military advisor screen - and be compared to other civs using espionage.

Originally posted by Taé Shala
Will there be a C3C version?

Good question. I don't have C3C but have considered buying it. That doesn't mean I can't or won't see if a Mapstat version can be made compatible. Of course, Lovro has the definitive say on the Mapstat program. However, rumour has it that Mapstat's information has been included in some of the Function report screens - thus ending Mapstat's need. I haven't confirmed it myself and would appreciate anyone with C3C to let me know what has been included in terms of what and where.

The screen from conquests:

I'm going to take that screenshot as a big compliment from the Conquests team. Thanks, LKendter.

That's about it. :)

It was nice working for you all, and with you, chiefpaco.

Originally posted by tao
It turns into a "zombi" process with no UI which cannot be <alt>-tabbed to. :confused:
@Tao: I confirmed in the Macintosh forum that I have tested JMapStat under Panther and it works fine here. I used it frequently during the recent SG23 gotm23 replay. My Panther installation was a clean one to a reformatted partition, and I installed the Development Tools. Maybe you didn't?

I know you were also having some strange effects with file privileges in another context. Have you run Repair Privileges?

I don't know what else to suggest. Have you tried anything since?

I'd appreciate any other feedback. Does it work, or not work, for any other Panther users?

I could now confirm that the error was caused by the Panther "incomplete Java install bug". Apple Technote 2099 explains how to solve it and it worked. Sorry for causing undue alarm.

Hopefully a Conquests version will be made. :)

I'm running CIV PTW (UK version with patch 1.21f) on a Win98 pentium III machine but when using mapstat it can not decipher the number of tiles. It states that there is only 1 tile total (and we all know there are more). :)

(I'm of course using the latest PTW alpha 2 version that I downloaded for playing GOTM 25)

Anyone any clues to why it can't interper the saved games properly?

MPF

As you can see in the screenshot there is no different counting of tiles like plains, tundra, etc.. That was a big plus in Mapstat.

That is true. I wondered how demand was for this feature.

Anyone any clues to why it can't interper the saved games properly?

Anyone else see this problem?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As you can see in the screenshot there is no different counting of tiles like plains, tundra, etc.. That was a big plus in Mapstat.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by chiefpaco

That is true. I wondered how demand was for this feature.

I run a GotM at another fansite and I find it useful to check the numbers without having to manually count tiles, etc. I also am working on a couple of random maps that it would give me a quick idea of how balanced the world is.

One feature I would like to see included in a C3C version is the Export City Stats. This is a great feature for getting a summary of your empire, checking corruption, and generally planning strategy offline. Is there any chance of including that in any updates?

Another "wish list" feature would be some type of summary of what buildings/improvements are in each city, not sure how easy that information is to access.

Originally posted by Lovro
That's about it. :)

It was nice working for you all, and with you, chiefpaco.
Oh no you don't! (Get off that easily :lol: )

I'd like to add my voice to the others hoping you'll do a Conquests version. If you can find the time to do it, it sure would be appreciated.

The new info displayed in Conquests is nice but it is still far from being as nice as Mapstat! :)

Originally posted by SirPleb
The new info displayed in Conquests is nice but it is still far from being as nice as Mapstat! :)
I might include some of the functions from Mapstat in a future version of TechCalc. (it's beginning to be the CivFanatics Handbook! with 3 calculators in one :crazyeye: )

I downloaded the file in the PTW link in the very first post in this thread. Is that the right one? It seems to work fine with the current GOTM sav files.

Can this utility be used while playing Civ 3? Or must one quit the game to use it? For that matter, is it even possible to alt-tab out of Civ 3? I tried last night and couldn't. Using Win XP.

Thanks for a great utility!

Hi Grotius, me again :). Yes, you can use this utility while Civ 3 is running. In XP you can only Alt-Tab if there is another application to Alt-Tab to. I guess you only had Civ 3 running? Alternatively you can press the left windows key to get to the start menu.

JMapstat updated to handle game files with no barbarians correctly. Use the link in my sig to find the downloads earlier in this thread.

Top Bottom