1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

v1.61 bug: tooltips still stop working

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Bug Reports' started by Nemo, May 20, 2006.

1. Nemo

Nemo Warlord

This problem has plagued every version since the first. Apparently, it has still not been fixed. The problem is that when you go to mouse over an item and there is supposed to be information in an intellisense/tooltip format, the tooltip does not display. So, you either have to forfeit your turn and do the action next turn (which breaks one's strategy - and puts you at a disadvantage), or restart the game. Saving/Reloading does not turn it back on. This has got to be one of the most common problems I have had in this game. Really annoying!

2. Gyathaar

Gyathaar Warlock Retired Moderator GOTM Staff

alt-tab out and back again fixes it for me when it happens

3. Velvet-Glove

Velvet-Glove Prince

Do you have "right-click menu" enabled in the options? This has been a long term bug since the start - try switching it off to get rollovers working properly again.

4. Commander Bello

Commander Bello Say No 2 Net Validations

It helps to enter a city of yours, and to re-adjust one of the workers in there.

Of course, any actions like setting up building queues, determination of next technology and so on should be done before your turn ends, as otherwise you don't have the chance ot enter a city.
    In case you would be trapped by this during diplomatic negotiations, it sometimes may help to enter the city screen by hitting F10 (becomes hard, though, to leave it again, as you have to find the "exit" with your mouse)

5. dcon

dcon Chieftain

this seems so simple to fix, and has been a problem since the beginning with original Civ 4 and now Warlords.. why hasn't this been FIXED?? I hate when game makers don't continuously update and patch their games!!

6. City Builder

City Builder Complicated Complication

Ahaaa, so Im not the only one with this problem. It's really quite frustrating to me, although I have not noticed it in CIV4 vanilla, but Im sure I havn't played anywhere nearly as long as some other people.

Im not nearly good enough to rember what everything does and what every items information is so the tooltips are a neccessity to me and if they weren't in the game then I wouldnt bother to play it because theres way too many items to try and remember all of them.

Im quite suprised that this hasn't been fixed if it's been present since the original release of CIV4. Has anyone asked the Firaxis team that visits here to actually check up on it and see if it can be fixed?

I had right clic menu enabled, but even turning it off didnt get it working again for me reliably. It may have kept working for a turn or two then it would stop working for a turn, then start working on the next turn or the one after. Very inconsistant and annoying.

7. alexman

alexman King

Sorry, we have not bee able to reproduce this bug in-house, so we have not been able to fix it. We tried a few things, but we have sort of given up by now. If anyone has any way of reproducing this reliably, please let me know.

It seems there are two separate occurances of the bug. One is when you click on a worker action. In this case the tooltips come back when you hover over something like your flag. The second is when you have right-click menus enabled. In this case the tooltips do not return when you hover over your flag.

8. City Builder

Well.... I really hate to say it, but this is just sad that the team has given up trying to fix this problem. This problem really makes the game unplayable at times for me since as stated I need the tool tips to understand what things are.

In any event, I appreciate alexman for coming here and having the cojones to say that they can't reproduce it so they have given up on trying, this takes a big pair of brassies to actually do in my book!

Thanks for your time alexman,
    Respectfully,
    City Builder

9. alexman

alexman King

As stated above, there are workarounds for both types of tooltip disappearance, so the game is not exactly unplayable. In fact, these are minor bugs compared to the others we have been busy fixing.

For the worker actions, all you have to do is mouse over the flag and they are back.

For the right-click menu, all you have to do is not enable them.

10. City Builder

Okay,
    Perhaps someone can explain to me a work around for this because I must be totally dense in this matter.....

I finish a research and am offered the list of choices of other research items that I can do, but there are no tooltips to tell me what each one will do, so how do I work around this problem? Im asking because as long as the research window is popped up on my screen or a building suggestion window then I can't click on anything else until I choose either a new research item or a new unit or building to build for my city.

Please explain how to work around this, because I have tried clicking on everythng else I can see when these windows popup but nothing else will register a click until I choose the new research item or a unit/building or accept or deny a diplomatic request.

After re-reading this thread again it seems the only thing I can do would be to try the alt-tab to the desktop and back again but quite honestly having to do this every 3 to 7 turns would be way too annoying to actually enjoy the game, so is there somewhere special that I can click on my screen when the research window is open that will get the tooltips back as that would certainly not be annoying to have to do if it will bring back the tooltips on my research window, or a diplomacy request window or a build unit/building popup window.
    Thanks,

11. alexman

alexman King

Does the situation you describe above occur with the right-click menu option on? If so, just restart the game with it off and keep it off. If not, your case is quite unusual from what I have read, and I agree it must be very frustrating.

12. City Builder

I'll retry it today. I know that I turned on the right click menu for the first time ever after purchasing and installing Warlords and I never experienced this in CIV4 vanilla, so it could be the right click menu is causing the same tooltips that I have randomly missing are also caused by this.

The last time that I played, the right click menu option was on and I turned it off but didn't restart the game and the problem continued, so I'll have a go at it tonight to see if the problem is cleared up since I didn't think to restart the game after turning off the right click menu option. Then again I didnt equate that the right click menu could/would be causing this issue to begin with.

So I'll have a go at it tonight now that the RCM is off and see what happens.

Thanks again for helping.

13. upstart

upstart Warlord

I have found if you right-click anywhere on the terrain, the tool-tips automagically start working again. Also lets you type in the save window and such, usually if the tool-tips stop working, you cannot type the name of the savegame. So yeah, sounds like a loss of focus issue. Usually with the research menu, I click one of the choices so the menu goes away, right click the terrain, then go back to choose a research option with tooltips working.

And I wish to add my agreement to what has been said. It is really sad that someone cannot fix an issue that has been around since the release. If game designers didn't want us to use the "right-click menu" then they should have never put it in(of course once I found the option I cannot play without it-call me stubborn, but it's the way I want to play the game how I choose), because once you put an option in you should do the right thing and support it. Anyways I know I am beating a dead horse but it just reflects badly when a company brushes an obvious bug like this under a rug rather than deal with it.

14. upstart

upstart Warlord

And furthermore you should tell your email support reps it is a known issue with the "right-click menu" option. Apparently they troubleshoot it as something being wrong with the user's mouse and keyboard. Very frustrating.