[NFP] Vampires useless past Nationalism?

I also found it interesting that when I conquered Macedon that had 2 Vampire castles they didnt go away like Unique improvements do. So now I have 2 Vampire castles. Dont know if it is bug or not. In general it seems that Vampires and their castles act very weird. For example the yields seem to be locked when you build the castle. So even though you improve the land later the yields of the castle dont change.

Wait... castles gain *improved* tile yields too? Like from wonders and mills?

Vampires useless? Never!
If anything, they FIX THINGS! Just invite them inside ;)

Will they nerf Vampires? This unit makes me never want to play with Secret Societies on. Like what's the point of even playing when you have invincible units mowing people down?

Vampire healing is about half a normal units. However, they heal 50hp when they pillage any improvement/district.
Vampire castles, when build, gain all the tile yields of the tile its build on, plus all adjacent tiles, at the time of placement. Any adjustments to the adjacent tiles, does not increase the Vampire castle yields. The Vampire castle provides the yields to your Capital. I have found, if you improve all surrounding tiles, you can have an insane amount of yields. If combined with Volcanic soil or floodplain that has had yield adjustments, it gets even better.

Vampire healing is about half a normal units. However, they heal 50hp when they pillage any improvement/district.
Vampire castles, when build, gain all the tile yields of the tile its build on, plus all adjacent tiles, at the time of placement. Any adjustments to the adjacent tiles, does not increase the Vampire castle yields. The Vampire castle provides the yields to your Capital. I have found, if you improve all surrounding tiles, you can have an insane amount of yields. If combined with Volcanic soil or floodplain that has had yield adjustments, it gets even better.
Do improvements 'after the facts' actually changes the yields given by the castle ?

Do improvements 'after the facts' actually changes the yields given by the castle ?
Not sure if this is what you're asking about, but Vampire Castle yields don't automatically update; if adjacent tiles near a VC change, the VC won't know about the change. You'll need to tear down and rebuild the VC in order to get the updated yields.

ohoho.

Seriously though, it's not possible to kill vampires without eliminating the civilization, because they will just reappear in the capital, and as long as the civilization still exists, it will always have a capital.
I lost one to an AI thermonuke, in plain field, not in capital, not in castle. Evaporated. Vice versa is true as well, I suppose. If you see a group of hostile vampires, purge them with a mini sun of your own making.

With vampires, do their bonuses from kills get preserved, even when I get a stronger unit? Ie if I get a kill, that vampire will always be +1 stronger than any unit I will produce?

Last edited:
don't take this as complaining bc I generally liked the secret societies, but I think they missed a little opportunity with vampires. Why can't you upgrade them and make them your own? it would be pretty cool from the RP perspective, especially since immortal vampires actually makes sense on the Civ timescale.

Top Bottom