Very annoying hotseat bug

WildFire

amour
After my brother researched Alphabet, he attempted to trade technologies with me. He is player #1 and I am #8. We figured out that only he could offer trades and whenever I tried to add a technology of mine, it would void the trade and the tech would go into the "offer" part of the trading screen and then go back up within a second.

Basically, it didn't work. I'm assuming it's because he's player 1 and his turn is already past so he can't accept the trade.

BUT

We played a turn where he didn't offer a trade, but I did... or tried anyway. It didn't even let me offer a trade, kept saying he couldn't accept.

If I'm over looking something here, please tell me because if this is actually a bug, I have NO CLUE how firaxis/beta testers could over look this.

Do you have the tech to enable tech trading?

Upload your save just before the trade, and I'll move this to the bug reports thread.

well man i'd say you need to research alphabet too .. its like .. if you NEED alphabet to trade tech .. it means u need it to write the tech and stuff to give it to ur friend .. but what use is it if you cant read it ???

there you go .. try research alphabet too and it should work

Chieftess said:
Upload your save just before the trade, and I'll move this to the bug reports thread.

Abyss BC-2080.Civ4SavedGame

it won't let me upload this...

WildFire said:
Abyss BC-2080.Civ4SavedGame

it won't let me upload this...

Zip it instead. :)

LordO said:
well man i'd say you need to research alphabet too .. its like .. if you NEED alphabet to trade tech .. it means u need it to write the tech and stuff to give it to ur friend .. but what use is it if you cant read it ???

there you go .. try research alphabet too and it should work

we both have alphabet and i still can't trade techs to him..

read 1st post please

i'm pretty sure this is before one of the trades, if not just play as both civs until you research a tech and try to trade it :)

I can't trade in hotseat either. I've got Alphabet, and I can trade with the other civs, but whenever I try to trade with my roommate, he can't offer anything. His trade offers are booted from the table. It's the exact same issue as WildFire's actually.

I've been playing around with this most of the day, testing with 3 human player hotseat on a tiny map starting in the medieval period... and nobody can trade techs or cities to player 1, period.

I've tried retiring player 1 immediately, and putting it under AI control (thinking possibly it could be a workaround), but the other players can't trade to that AI either. I might have accepted that AI in slot 1 is going to suck and used it as a workaround anyway, but then I noticed that while human players 2 and 3 can trade techs and cities, they can't trade gold. It's like the exact opposite of the original problem.

Here is the summary, in a Chieftess-friendly format... seriously, this bug sucks.

Hotseat trade bug

1.Load a Hotseat game (for testing, you can try starting on a Tiny map and start in an age where everyone already has alphabet, like the medieval age.)
2.Using any player except player 1, try to trade techs/cities/open borders with Player 1.

Player 1 can offer trades to the other players, but during their turns, the other players can't offer anything back to player 1.
They can't give away items to player 1 for free either. Player 1 is able to give away techs, however.

Anything they put on the table is cleared off right away.

The one exception is gold, which the other players apparently can offer player 1.

However, I also tested a three player hotseat game where I retired player 1, giving him to the AI, and using player 2 and 3. After doing so, neither player 2 or 3 can properly trade with an AI player 1 either. I also noticed that players 2 and 3 could only trade techs/cities/open borders between them, but they can't trade gold (basically, the opposite problem)

dannyevilcat said:
Here is the summary, in a Chieftess-friendly format...

:lol: It's actually standard Quality Assurance form.

I took the advice of retiring player 1 (so it will become AI) to eliminate the problem and instead playing 2 and 3 human. It seemed to work fine - and i figured I could live with no goldtrading allowed. However once goldtrading is discovered it works! But then you can't trade anything else!

It seems you can only trade gold or other things. However since goldtrading seems to be activated upon discovery of currency there is impossible to start to play earlier then in the medieval ages if one wants to be able to trade other things.

Maybe this problem will be eliminated if one ALSO drops player 2?

EDIT:

I've looked in to this bit more. Apparently i was wrong. It is not the fact that you discover gold trading that makes it switch from trading everything but gold to trading only gold. It's the fact that after you load a game you will always be player 1 and player 2 no matter what. And the bug will be there.

Therefore it will work if you do this:

Assign player 1 human
Assign the hotseat players to any but 2.
Retire player 1 at start.

Then you can trade everything but gold. But if you exit the game and then load it in again it wont work.

How can a bug like this be overlooked while testing the game? Seems pretty important if someone can't trade..

Has anyone figured out a way to fix it yet? if so PLEASE post here.

Top Bottom