Very useful barbs

sc0tsman33

Chieftain
When you spot them near to your resources dont kill them, let trade that resource quickly for a gold and let barbs to destroy it, you will gain gold and AI will lost that resource, next kill or even better just wound barb repair and sell again ;) keep barbs camp near you alive and let them to make more gold for your empire.

Cunning. Do you get a reputation drop from the AI player you sold the resource to though for 'breaking' the deal?

Heh, they should fix that. Doesn't matter how you lose the resource, it should be your responsibility to protect it.

Done proper the deal should be cancelled deal, but you should have that resource locked until the trade agreement is over.

Don't forget to keep a unique source only for this trick. If you have 2 of them, the destroyed one will be replaced by the other one and you will only lose 4 :c5happy: for nothing(deal will not be cancelled).

Well after engineering you can always do this yourself by building a fort on top of it.

also, if you throw in any other deal in the same deal as the luxury for 240 gold (standard), it will get canceled.
So if I also throw in 5gpt and calendar for some of rammy's gold + 240 gold, the 5gpt part gets cancelled.

I hope they change it up so that broken deals hurt your future trading viability, then we can do away with these cheap tricks and stop the debate on whether it's okay to trade and DoW. This is a bit of an unfortunate oversight by the devs.

I think it's by far more important to change it up so that AI would actually pillage improvements. Not only random rare barbs but everyone who's invading your territory.
Then we can debate whether canceled deals should hurt you or not. If a barb pillages it that would make sense. A player should protect his land better. However defending against barbs is different from defending against AI civs, especially on higher difficulties. You won't be able to protect every lux in your empire. I feel this distinction needs to be made. Right now, however, the dilemma is simpler. Don't use cheese if you don't like it and do use it if you do.

even better is destroying barbs for xp and pillaging own resources/using workers or units. why wait for barbs??

Pretty neat idea.

I enjoy trading and then declaring war. It seems to be a legitimate tactic that somewhat reflects reality.

That said, there obviously needs to be some diplomatic consequence.

How would you like an RPG where you agree with the blacksmith that you'll go down into the dungeon, kill the monster spiders and retrieve a bit of special metal for him, but where all you needed to do was answer his question "did you get my metal for me?" a second later with "yes" to get the reward, without having done anything?
That would be broken mechanics, wouldn't it?
If in Civ you agree to a 30-turn deal, and you get the reward up-front, then there must be a penalty for not delivering.

The current sytem is especially problematic in multiplayer. In single player you can create your own rules, but in multiplayer it'll be tough to work something out where everybody is happy with.

Actually it's okay for multiplayer. If someone does this to you once, you won't trade with him again.

CiV has so many idiotic diplomatic negative penalties, but here - where for once it would make sense - nothing...

I also meant games like Game of the Month and Succession Games, which are technically speaking single player games, but where you have more than one player involved in the same game.
I do have some hope that Gods & Kings will address this. Of course all the appetizer-info is about the all-new features, but we know there's a lot of mending and fixing going on as well.

Idea for when this happens:

The AI says "I see you couldn't keep your spices defended, what are you planning to do to make up for it?"

you say:
1. "Nothing. Hahahahahahaha!" (diplo hit with that civ)
2. "Let me reimburse you for X gold" (X being the gold you took at the start, divided by # of turns in the deal, multiplied by turns left in the deal).
3. "Let's freeze the deal, I'll get the spices right back and we can continue it" (diplo with civ goes down slightly each turn until spices are received, after every 5 turns the AI comes back and you can choose from the 3 options again).

Yea, this is way too lame for my tastes (I mean you can literally just steal all of every AI's gold in theory...) Kind of defeats any point to the game if you ask me.

Cheesecake on the upper shelf!

I don't like doing this in my own games, I even dislike oneway OB-deals just to grab some gold and buy a CS or make another RA.

But in a single game, each to their own. It's there, use it or abuse it... :pat:

Top Bottom